Govt instructs Thai consular officers to provide best services

webfact

Govt instructs Thai consular officers to provide best services

PNPOL600809001002501.jpg

BANGKOK, 10 August 2017 (NNT) - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has arranged a seminar for Thai consulate officers from all over the world with the objective of developing their capacity to handle all aspects of their work. 

Minister of Foreign Affairs Don Pramudwinai on Wednesday delivered a special lecture at the seminar aimed at informing the consular officers from 94 Thai embassies and consulates worldwide, of the policy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The minister urged the consular officers who work to take care of Thai people abroad, to collaborate in developing the services provided by Thai consulates with the goal of providing the best services possible in an international context. 

There was also another seminar on overseas election polling under the 2017 constitution in the Thailand 4.0 era. The voting process overseas was demonstrated by speakers from the Election Commission, the Department of Provincial Administration and relevant units.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-08-10

They represent their country but can be rude, arrogant and unhelpful. The Google reviews for some are shocking.

I guess because they work for the MFA they have a good education and senior family background. The culture in Thailand is for Thais to request help from government officers, not demand it. I can understand for some of these people it must be a shock when they see some of the garbage applying for visas and then cannot allow themselves to be regarded as junior, or the puu noi,  in those interactions.

They also should follow the local rules of the country where the consulate/embassy is.

In my country by law all doors of public area's have to be at least 2 metres high so nobody hits their head...all buildings have that except the Thai embassy with a doorheight of about 175 cm...

Also they load far too many people in the small basement to apply for a visa...it doesn't give a good impression to treat locals that way.

38 minutes ago, webfact said:

a seminar for Thai consulate officers from all over the world with the objective of developing their capacity to handle all aspects of their work. 

Errr...Should that not be a prerequisite for putting them on a plane in the first place?

Well that's better than a title for the thread; "Govt instructs Thai consular officers to provide worst services"

I often travel across borders between Thailand and Burma.  The Burmese officials are always decent, human, and don't hide behind any heavily tinted windows.  Heck, they even interact and joke with the farang they come into contact with.

In sharp contrast, the Thai authorities can barely be seen.  They hide behind darkly tinted windows in their kiosks.  Usually, there's one v. small opening which enables the applicant farang to see - which affords a view of the official's crotch.  Similarly, the Thai official gets a view of the farang's belt buckle and crotch.  Usually, no words are exchanged between a farang applicant and a Thai official at the border crossings, except a 'kop koon ka/kap' by the farang when the rubber stamping is done.

In a nutshell:  Thai Imm officials act like hidden robots.  Neighboring country imm officials are like people.

When you read about a Thai gov't official breaking the law, and then being 'transferred to an inactive post,' .....border crossing guards are probably where they get sent. 

40 minutes ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Nice pic. One big happy family, or is it ten?

They had a rash of complaints from the consular officers that they missed somtam and having to actually follow road rules wherever they were.

One said "It's incredibly difficult living abroad. THANK Buddha for diplomatic immunity on the roads! I have to live like a peasant. No soapies, no karaoke girls, no bugs to snack on, I cannot get in on any scams etc....It's pure hell."

Edited by jaywalker

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

In sharp contrast, the Thai authorities can barely be seen.  They hide behind darkly tinted windows in their kiosks.  Usually, there's one v. small opening which enables the applicant farang to see - which affords a view of the official's crotch.  Similarly, the Thai official gets a view of the farang's belt buckle and crotch.  Usually, no words are exchanged between a farang applicant and a Thai official at the border crossings, except a 'kop koon ka/kap' by the farang when the rubber stamping is done.

In a nutshell:  Thai Imm officials act like hidden robots.  Neighboring country imm officials are like people.

What do you expect from people, who have learnt at school, and have been indoctrinated every day after, with the mantra: "Thailand number 1, everyone else is bad/not human/dangerous...

I have been to many countries in Asia, and have met everywhere nice, decent, and friendly people, who liked to meet me and talk with me, with one exception: the land of "smiles" (as if!).

10 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Wonder how much that junket cost the Thai taxpayers and how it would have been better spent on kidney patient care. 

Figure 180 or so countries, some of whom have more than one consulate (like the USA, so call it 200) X probably $3500 USD per business class return ticket X 2 people per consulate = about 400 X $3500 = $1,400,000 USD/46,493,200 THB.

3 hours ago, tonray said:

If they really want to provide best services they can loan all Visa applicants 20K baht for 60 days.

That goes a bit far.

But they could at least be open all day for visa applicants.

And also give good information on the website about applicants have to bring to get a visa. Especially they should mention how much money has to be shown and on what way.

Also i don't understand why for a non-o visa we first have to buy a ticket before applying for visa. That gives me stress.

And that multiple visa should have a barcode so the immigration can just scan it and that's all. No more paperwork or picture needed.

The room (basement) for visa-application at the Hague in Holland is far too small and low to be a public place. It also has a steap stairs onto the sidewalk..very unprofessional while the whole embassybuilding is a very nice static old building...

I had to stand in there for 45 minutes with my neck bended to not hit my head against the doorpost.

10 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

Figure 180 or so countries, some of whom have more than one consulate (like the USA, so call it 200) X probably $3500 USD per business class return ticket X 2 people per consulate = about 400 X $3500 = $1,400,000 USD/46,493,200 THB.

And that's just for their fares. Plus luxury hotels and resort style conferences and internal transportation and endless seafood buffets and filthy evil booze. Not forgetting the expenses advance taken from petty cash before they left. I can just hear the pitter-patter of little feet and giggling as the boys and girls chase each other up and down hotel corridors.

A waste of good money which could have been better spend on health treatment (kidneys) and saved lives.

2 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Those who ever had to deal with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs know about the limits of its staff efficiency. 

I went to the MFA in BKK once to renew my wife's and daughter's passports once.

My US passport was not available to me, as it was tied up in getting a work permit. They wanted to see it so my daughter could renew her passport & is the only reason I was there.

Nice lady accepted my Florida driver's license. Took about 20 minutes total. I thought they were pretty nice.

Still trying to figure out why my wife wanted a Thai passport for our daughter, as she already had a US passport & Thai birth certificate.

I just say "Yes Dear" most of the time though.

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What do you expect from people, who have learnt at school, and have been indoctrinated every day after, with the mantra: "Thailand number 1, everyone else is bad/not human/dangerous...

I have been to many countries in Asia, and have met everywhere nice, decent, and friendly people, who liked to meet me and talk with me, with one exception: the land of "smiles" (as if!).

Did have one decent guy 4 years ago on departure from Swampy.

16 hours ago, Thian said:

They also should follow the local rules of the country where the consulate/embassy is.

In my country by law all doors of public area's have to be at least 2 metres high so nobody hits their head...all buildings have that except the Thai embassy with a doorheight of about 175 cm...

Also they load far too many people in the small basement to apply for a visa...it doesn't give a good impression to treat locals that way.

Must be London.

23 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Must be London.

No it's the Hague Holland.

Also i don't understand why i have to bring like 40 copies of my administration to apply for a multiple non-o visa since i'm married to a Thai for a decade. Also my wife has plenty cash on her bankaccount so why do i have to show all my banknotes for last 2 months?

Isn't it enough to show a savingsaccount with 20.000 euro on it? Why do they need to see all my payments for last 2 months and won't even give them back to me?? I think that's very rude!

And the info about how to get a Visa is very hard to read/understand. Even though i'm married to a Thai they still treat me like i'm a scamming serial killer who has a hobby of bombing touristic places. And i never ever did anything wrong to Thailand, even rescued a Thai man from drawning in sea.

21 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Well that's better than a title for the thread; "Govt instructs Thai consular officers to provide worst services"

I often travel across borders between Thailand and Burma.  The Burmese officials are always decent, human, and don't hide behind any heavily tinted windows.  Heck, they even interact and joke with the farang they come into contact with.

When you read about a Thai gov't official breaking the law, and then being 'transferred to an inactive post,' .....border crossing guards are probably where they get sent. 

The way I read the topic opening is that the seminar is aimed at improving help to Thai nationals who are overseas, nothing to do with westerners.