Fresh green olives??

johnmcc6

I don't believe Thailand grows Olives,maybe the reason you have not seen any fresh ones,

but there are plenty of Olives in jars,loose in brine or oil,in RimPing,but that's not what you want.

regards worgeordie

I have seen "fresh " pickled olives being sold. By fresh I mean they are not canned or  in jars but piled in a heap. They are usually lightly spiced

So there must be a source for fresh olives somewhere. These are green and larger than the ones we are used to. They are stocked by the folks who sell dry fruits sometimes

The girl who sells 10-baht bags of fruit in front of my local 7-11 sells the kind Wandr described...only 10 baht a bag.  The taste is quite a bit sharper than that of a normal Western olive, but wow, 10 baht for a bag.  I think she said they are grown in Thailand.  I think I'll ask her again next time.  It's hard to believe they're from Thailand but for that price how could they not be...

22 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

The girl who sells 10-baht bags of fruit in front of my local 7-11 sells the kind Wandr described...only 10 baht a bag.  The taste is quite a bit sharper than that of a normal Western olive, but wow, 10 baht for a bag.  I think she said they are grown in Thailand.  I think I'll ask her again next time.  It's hard to believe they're from Thailand but for that price how could they not be...

Thanks for the info. I will have no choice by the look of it. I,ll have a try with this variety. At those prices there is nothing to lose. Perhaps a good brine mix can help with the taste. I do like the store bought ones but I would just like to give it a  try.

You're welcome, John.  

I saw her again and asked her --  she gets them at Meuang Mai Market.  Beyond that I wasn't able to get any more info, either because she doesn't know or because my Thai sucks that bad.

Actually, it's not that sharp of a taste.  For 10 baht it's a great deal.