Advice needed, Non-O

My last trip I had been staying in Thailand on a Non O-A (2 years) then six tourist visa's back to back all extended for 30 days. I knew I couldn't keep getting tourist visa's so recently returned to Australia to organise my finances, new passport and arrange a Non O visa based on retirement (90 days), with the intension to get the 1 year extension in Thailand (Chaeng Wattana)

I submitted my application with the required paperwork here at Thai Embassy in Canberra, but got the response “we don't issue Non-O visa's (90 days) based on retirement.” I talked with the counter person and the supervisor, as did my Thai step son in Thai, but they would only issue me a Tourist visa, which I am now waiting on.

My question is, can a Tourist Visa be changed to a Non-O based on retirement in Bangkok (I am tired of doing visa runs), then after apply for a 1 year extension at a later date?

If this is not possible, what are the easiest options?

Regards Bill.

I would say that about 98% of the Thai embassies and official consulates will not issue a non-o visa for retirement if you are a citizen or legal resident of the country where they are located. They will only issue a OA visa.

5 minutes ago, Bill3173 said:

My question is, can a Tourist Visa be changed to a Non-O based on retirement in Bangkok (I am tired of doing visa runs), then after apply for a 1 year extension at a later date?

Yes you can if you are living in Bangkok. If not then you would apply at your local immigration office.

Basic requirements to do a change of visa status is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Thanks ubonjoe, much appreciated.

Does the 800,000 Baht have to be seasoned for 2 months? If so would it be best to transfer the money from my home account straight away to Thailand when I arrive and extend my tourist visa for 30 days so the 2 months is met.

Also is there a Bangkok Bank at Chaeng Wattana complex, that can issue a guarantee letter, update bank passbooks and issue evidence of overseas transfer, on the same day as the application?

Would Bangkok bank have evidence off overseas transfer, or do I need to supply some sort of documentation?

Thanks in advance Bill.

15 minutes ago, Bill3173 said:

Does the 800,000 Baht have to be seasoned for 2 months? If so would it be best to transfer the money from my home account straight away to Thailand when I arrive and extend my tourist visa for 30 days so the 2 months is met.

Also is there a Bangkok Bank at Chaeng Wattana complex, that can issue a guarantee letter, update bank passbooks and issue evidence of overseas transfer, on the same day as the application?

Would Bangkok bank have evidence off overseas transfer, or do I need to supply some sort of documentation?

The 800k baht does not need to be in the bank for 60 days for the change of visa status application. That is only required for the extension application.

There is Bangkok Branch on the ground floor of the building where immigration is that can do everything for you.

They will have your account records that will show the funds came from abroad. That proof will not be needed for the extension application.

i did the conversion earlier this year at CW.  you will get a queue number that will direct you to the C area.  you will have to make two visits, drop off all the documents on visit 1 and then get the visa stamp on visit 2 (visit 2 will be about two weeks after visit 1, they'll give you a receipt that will tell you when to come back for visit 2).  i didn't wait much at all during either visit. 

there is a copy center on the lower level (same level as bangkok bank).  you'll have to make copies of the bank book once it is updated.

the 90 days on the non imm O will start the day of your first visit, not the second.  then you come back again with 30 days or less left on your non imm O to get the extension of stay.  providing all the paperwork again.  i waited several hours for the extension.