Looking for a New Dash Cam. Any recommendation?

Nordlys

12 hours ago, Nordlys said:

Thanks for all that inputs.  Xiaomi Yi is not small?  I thought it was...  :unsure:

Yes it is surprisingly small, then I`m talking about the one I linked to earlier in this thread....Here it is in my D-Max, you can hardly see it lol ;-) 

FB_IMG_1496132008935.jpg

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Namplik said:

Yes it is surprisingly small, then I`m talking about the one I linked to earlier in this thread....Here it is in my D-Max, you can hardly see it lol ;-) 

FB_IMG_1496132008935.jpg

It is small enough, but I thought it's a bit smaller.  :passifier:  Can you turn the clock off the display?  

1 minute ago, Nordlys said:

It is small enough, but I thought it's a bit smaller.  :passifier:  Can you turn the clock off the display?  

It is as small as it can be in my opinion, can probably turn off the clock. Did not check, I like to have it like that. 

And here's front and rear cameras in-one-piece, dual channel dash cam with parking mode, etc.  Looks good and reviewer seems to like it but video quality looks pretty poor, especially rear camera.  Not listed on Lazada but available from Amazon at US$170 if anybody's interested...

https://www.amazon.com/Vantrue-N2-Dual-Dash-Cam/dp/B01IHLKZ0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503026738&sr=8-1&keywords=VanTrue+N2

On 2017/8/17 at 7:00 AM, Techno Viking said:

Impressive but sounds like a significant investment for a dash cam.  Has anyone ever made a good use of a dash cam in parking mode?  I wish I had one when my car was broken in many years ago from the rear side window and got a tote bag placed in rear seat  with contents worth over 30,000 Bath stolen (thief was careful not to open the door as it triggers alarm).  But the camera probably had to be facing the passenger room to capture the face of the thief.  

We have a HP F770, tried several of the cheaper ones with a money back guarantee if i was not happy with them, which i was not

Front and back camera's and the other things if you want to turn them on and use them like lane change and travelling to close to the vehicle in front and parking security

Can be bought for around 5K baht on the internet if you want to fit it yourself 

I paid 7K baht from a local installer which included a under dash power connection and a 1 year warranty covered by their business 

Edited by madmax2

I have a very high end camera called Road Eyes. Crazy expensive but I only paid 3,500 baht for it. I bought it from a guy who bought two of them and only used one. It actually stinks, nothing special about it and the fancy software doesn't work with Windows 10.

The one in the car came from AliExpress. It cost $25 and it is better than the expensive unit, very sharp video.

Black TOGUARD 2.46" Full HD 1080P Mini Car DVR Dash Cam

3 hours ago, Nordlys said:

And here's front and rear cameras in-one-piece, dual channel dash cam with parking mode, etc.  Looks good and reviewer seems to like it but video quality looks pretty poor, especially rear camera.  Not listed on Lazada but available from Amazon at US$170 if anybody's interested...

https://www.amazon.com/Vantrue-N2-Dual-Dash-Cam/dp/B01IHLKZ0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503026738&sr=8-1&keywords=VanTrue+N2

I don't consider a second camera filming the back seat as truly a 'rear camera'. I would be more interested in catching the bugger that rear-ended me rather than the surprised looks on the faces of my back seat passengers.

41 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I don't consider a second camera filming the back seat as truly a 'rear camera'. I would be more interested in catching the bugger that rear-ended me rather than the surprised looks on the faces of my back seat passengers.

I once had my car broken in and a tote bag on rear seat with contents worth over 30,000 Baht stolen from my car.  This cam, although poor in video quality might have helped identify the theft for it's capable of recording in parking mode.  

Edited by Nordlys

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

I once had my car broken in and a tote bag on rear seat with contents worth over 30,000 Baht stolen from my car.  This cam, although poor in video quality might have helped identify the theft for it's capable of recording in parking mode.  

Lesson: Don't leave valuables worth 30,000 baht sitting on the rear seat for the world to see. Just asking to be robbed.

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

I had a smash and grab similar to yours. Believe me, even with a high-resolution camera, they cannot identify the culprit from 8 frames of blurred hand and the shower of glass. But I do see the relevance of having one inside the cab that can be turned to point at the nice, friendly traffic cop on a shakedown.

I feel sorry for the guy who posted a few years ago about installing front and rear cameras on his new SUV because his wife would be driving it in his absence. She was hit in traffic gridlock by a passing motorbike that did a fair bit of damage to front and rear quarter panels plus both doors. Unfortunately, all the cameras caught was his coming, the sound of the crunch and scraping and his going. I think the Pajero Sport boasts an all seeing 'eye' type surround camera but not sure how that looks in real life.

Just now, giddyup said:

People to stop acting like idiots then complaining about the outcome.

I never complained. Not here anyway.

Came off a long-haul business flight, rotten with cold and with only hand-carry so pitched it in the back seat of the company car and headed for home; a 20 minute drive. Stopped at the Walgreen's around the corner from the house (safe neighborhood) to grab some meds, only gone a couple of minutes but enough for the opportunist.

Now that I have proffered the same mitigation that admittedly did bugger all to assuage my being guilty of "acting like idiots" (at least the police and the insurance company understood and refrained from pontificating), can we move on from the proselytizing?

28 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Lesson: Don't leave valuables worth 30,000 baht sitting on the rear seat for the world to see. Just asking to be robbed.

I usually don't, not even at attended parking lot.  But the thief didn't know the contents of it and would have taken it anyway.  I usually also don't park it in an open, unattended parking (actually an open plot of land next to a temple).  But after almost two hrs drive with friends and being told to park there I had no choice.  I actually initially carried the tote bag with me but put it back in the car later for I had many other stuffs to carry.  I could have at least put it in the 3rd row seat where it can't be grabbed without opening the door (which would have triggered the alarm).  

Edited by Nordlys

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Agree. Thats why I like the separate dual cam units.

38 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I had a smash and grab similar to yours. Believe me, even with a high-resolution camera, they cannot identify the culprit from 8 frames of blurred hand and the shower of glass. But I do see the relevance of having one inside the cab that can be turned to point at the nice, friendly traffic cop on a shakedown.

Sorry it happened.  I put my bag in the middle of the rear seat, which would have required the thief to stretch through the window to reach for it, but the front seat might have blocked the view anyway.  

I think the Pajero Sport boasts an all seeing 'eye' type surround camera but not sure how that looks in real life.

Really?  Like a factory option??  

Is capacitor-integrated dash cam really so essential for Thailand?  I'm not sure if one I'm using now has a capacitor built-in but given the price and it being 4 years old I doubt it.  It's still in good working condition albeit in cracked, sticky shell with exposed main board (in terrible cosmetic condition).  

Edited by Nordlys

3 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Is capacitor-integrated dash cam really so essential in Thailand?  I'm not sure if one I'm using now has a capacitor built-in but given the price and it being 4 years old I doubt it.  It's still in good working condition albeit in cracked, sticky shell with main board inside exposed.  

People like to repeat what they don't know about...

Technically it could be better, but actually it makes no difference. Just as when people where telling me that batteries in a car are bad because of hot weather... but I am using dashcams with 30000mha powerbanks  since years and never had any problem. I guess that it's like mobile batteries that explode, yes it can happen, and you can also die when crossing the road...

On 8/16/2017 at 10:06 AM, Nordlys said:

Thanks for all that inputs.  Xiaomi Yi is not small?  I thought it was...  :unsure:

It's small compared to many, but not the smallest.

If you're hung up on having a dashcam with a screen, it's probably one of the smaller ones with a usable screen.

One minor thing that bugs me about the Yi is it looks like an action cam, which may be more prone to theft if you leave it in the car.

I'm not an expert on dashcams, but have used them for years, and get some free from retailers or manufacturers.

:)

I'm happier with reliability and decent overall features than I am with brand names and worthless features that do nothing.   (don't believe the advertising, or 'reviews' you see online)  :)

3 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

People like to repeat what they don't know about...

Technically it could be better, but actually it makes no difference. Just as when people where telling me that batteries in a car are bad because of hot weather... but I am using dashcams with 30000mha powerbanks  since years and never had any problem. I guess that it's like mobile batteries that explode, yes it can happen, and you can also die when crossing the road...

Batteries fail, eventually.    When that happens it's not always catastrophic, but most dashcams won't save the last file  (Ignition off) when the battery is toast.   That's the only reason a dashcam has a capacitor or battery, to save the last file when power is cut.   

Most dashcams also run a bit warm, when coupled with heat from the sun, and it varies with location and the angle of the windshield you have it mounted in.   I have seen pictures of dashcams that the body has melted from sun exposure.

You also have some focus shift issues with some dashcams, that use a plastic lens mount.  lens shifts enough to knock it out of focus.    

I've not had a battery fail in a dashcam, yet, but I moved away from cams with batteries as a primary cam.

(I always have two forward facing ones in my tractor trailer in the US since I know NO cam is 100% reliable)

I have a few old ones with batteries that have been used a year or so, no problems.    

35 minutes ago, petesc55 said:

Batteries fail, eventually.    When that happens it's not always catastrophic, but most dashcams won't save the last file  (Ignition off) when the battery is toast.   That's the only reason a dashcam has a capacitor or battery, to save the last file when power is cut.   

Most dashcams also run a bit warm, when coupled with heat from the sun, and it varies with location and the angle of the windshield you have it mounted in.   I have seen pictures of dashcams that the body has melted from sun exposure.

You also have some focus shift issues with some dashcams, that use a plastic lens mount.  lens shifts enough to knock it out of focus.    

My dash cam stores video files in 120 seconds segment.  So is it fair to say at worst, I'd lose the last of the 2 min recording (or less) most of which would be in parking lot in the event the battery fails?  And it probably doesn't matter much at all if it's a capacitor or battery if I intend to upgrade and replace the dash cam every 3 - 4 years?  

35 minutes ago, petesc55 said:

I've not had a battery fail in a dashcam, yet, but I moved away from cams with batteries as a primary cam.

(I always have two forward facing ones in my tractor trailer in the US since I know NO cam is 100% reliable)

I have a few old ones with batteries that have been used a year or so, no problems.    

My dash cam came in thin, smooth rubberized skin which had become very coarse and sticky over the years.  

Edited by Nordlys

If the 'incident' is before the battery failed or you powered off the cam, or started the car, the file you need may still be there.     

One of the common problems people seem to have when they NEED the video the cam should have captured is, it's not there, due to a corrupt card, or the ''last file' issue.   

Just format your card frequently, check the videos to ensure it's working normally, start with a decent card.

If your cam works, keep using it.     They're changing enough every few years you can get a much better one, usually cheaper,  every few years, anyway.