Foreigners must still fill in ‘TM6’ immigration form for security reasons

rooster59

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Just a couple of points  ...

1.  Swampy is already way-over-capacity, which is why they're about a year into building an extension-terminal, so no posssibility to transfer Don Muang's business across right now.  The dedicated LCC-terminal announced in 2006, roughly when Swampy first opened, was never actually built, hence the transfer several years back of most LCC-flights back to the old airport.

2.  Swampy does however also have some domestic-flights for connecting to international, mainly Thai & Thai-Smile & Bangkok Airways, but recently a few by Viet-Jet.  So you're not forced to transfer between DMK & BKK, in order to connect, if you're willing to pay more for a more-expensive airline.

3.  Don Muang is mainly low-cost airlines, and mainly domestic, but does also have international-flights so you can connect-through with people like Air Asia.  However it's also been getting a lot of the new cheap-charter flights, from places like China, hence the rapid build-up which appears to have flummoxed Immigration-planners.

Well if they sold the old airport they would have funds to make a few more airport terminals and runways  plus staffing would be in order on top of this too .. 

22 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Perhaps you're not on a long-stay visa ?

There are numerous threads on it, they began enforcing it a year or more ago, and these days it's difficult/impossible to get an annual-extension (mine's by-reason-of retirement) unless your landlord/wife has done a TM28 and registered you as an alien, living at your long-term home-address.

Mine got fined the usual B1600 for not having done so.

You then get a TM30, which is stapled (like a TM6) in your passport, and return to your local IO within a few days(they don't currently insist on 24-hours) to report you're home again, they date-stamp your having reported once again, on the slip in your passport.

Im sorry Ricardo but Im really confused.

I have 3 papers stapled in my passport .

1. Departure card. 

2. 90 day report slip stating next report date.

3. "Receipt of Notification" slip , from 2 years back where my address was confirmed by landlord/land book etc ( TM 28 is it ?)

I am on a Retirement Visa , and live in Phuket.

I last flew home to  Aus. in March this year.

I did not know , nor was I informed that I must report to Immigration within a week of my return to my long term rental. ( Is that what people are saying I should have done ?? ) 

Since then I have done two '90 day reports' , one in Patong , and one in the main office at Phuket Town , and neither time has it been mentioned that I did not do this thing you speak of above.

Im away home again in October , and need clarification on this  if anybody can please ...

Are you guys saying I should have , or will have to do No.3 ( above ) all over again? And should after every O/S trip ??

1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

Im sorry Ricardo but Im really confused.

I have 3 papers stapled in my passport .

1. Departure card. 

2. 90 day report slip stating next report date.

3. "Receipt of Notification" slip , from 2 years back where my address was confirmed by landlord/land book etc ( TM 28 is it ?)

I am on a Retirement Visa , and live in Phuket.

I last flew home to  Aus. in March this year.

I did not know , nor was I informed that I must report to Immigration within a week of my return to my long term rental. ( Is that what people are saying I should have done ?? ) 

Since then I have done two '90 day reports' , one in Patong , and one in the main office at Phuket Town , and neither time has it been mentioned that I did not do this thing you speak of above.

Im away home again in October , and need clarification on this  if anybody can please ...

Are you guys saying I should have , or will have to do No.3 ( above ) all over again? And should after every O/S trip ??

Number-3, the Receipt of Notification sounds like your TM30, and it was your landlord who did a TM28 to report you, originally.

Some Immigration-Offices insist on us reporting again, in theory within 24-hours but in-reality usually within a few days of returning from overseas, when they will stamp the date-you-reported on the Receipt-of-Notification slip.

According to PhuketSarah , who lives in your province, she is required to report  ...  "I'm told by  Bangkok  ( by phone )  and Phuket IO personally  that   I must report in person to report my address within 24 hours of arriving home after ANY travel  in or out of Thailand."

Other posters, living in other provinces, have reported different situations where they live.

On 12/08/2017 at 0:12 PM, PhuketSarah said:

It is in Phuket.   Agree,  completely alien thought processing 

On 12/08/2017 at 10:20 AM, PhuketSarah said:

Ok fair  enough to state an address upon entry - but then why the necessity of the TM 30 address report? The 90 day?  I'm told by  Bangkok  ( by phone )  and Phuket IO personally  that   I must report in person to report my address within 24 hours of arriving home after ANY travel  in or out of Thailand.  (And I need original company stamps and Director signatures on any leases on property owned  by foreigners each and every time. )

It's not us visitors, who make things confusing, it's our friends at Immigration who apply the same law differently in different places, and at different times.

I hope this helps ?

1 minute ago, Blue bruce said:

Re-duplication at every corner TM 6 TM 28 TM 30. The government should start selling all the used paper to the paper recycling industry, They would make a fortune

They should buy iPads instead of submarines.  :smile:

I asked about this nonsense when at Phetchabun Immigration on Friday when getting a single re-entry permit. The IO informed me it was my wife who would have to come to immigration and report that I was living at our address within 24 hours. I told the IO that she could not drive and I would have to bring her. He said no probs, just you bring copy of her ID card.

On 12-8-2017 at 1:17 PM, phantomfiddler said:

I would love to do a bit of travelling, but the prospect of being stuck in an immigration line for 5 hours terrifies me. Is there some way that the elderly (74+yrs) can get through a little faster ? I went to a booth over to the right after being informed that this was the place but, true to form, there was no-one manning the station !

Yes you can buy a VIP-visa for 5 years at 500k baht. With that you can use the fast lane at the immigration.

9 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Number-3, the Receipt of Notification sounds like your TM30, and it was your landlord who did a TM28 to report you, originally.

Some Immigration-Offices insist on us reporting again, in theory within 24-hours but in-reality usually within a few days of returning from overseas, when they will stamp the date-you-reported on the Receipt-of-Notification slip.

According to PhuketSarah , who lives in your province, she is required to report  ...  "I'm told by  Bangkok  ( by phone )  and Phuket IO personally  that   I must report in person to report my address within 24 hours of arriving home after ANY travel  in or out of Thailand."

Other posters, living in other provinces, have reported different situations where they live.

It's not us visitors, who make things confusing, it's our friends at Immigration who apply the same law differently in different places, and at different times.

I hope this helps ?

Thanks Ricardo ...I shall try to clarify further as I fly out in October I guess...

6 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Thanks Ricardo ...I shall try to clarify further as I fly out in October I guess...

No problem  ...  we all try to help one another on ThaiVisa, with just this sort of thing ! :cool:

In your position, if the Immigration-Officer at HKT asks when you're exiting in October, I would play ignorant, but promise to notify immediately-upon-return  ...  Good Guys In and all that stuff !

Upon return I would definitely pop into Immigration within a day-or-two, once you're over the jetlag, and again play the honest-but-ignorant wanting-to-be-correct role.  It can't hurt !

This doesn't go for those lucky people, whose local office isn't bothered, they just need to remain aware that this may change at-the-drop-of-a-hat !

I'm off myself next month  ...  Happy Travels !  :wai:

1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

Thanks again Ricardo.

When I have to report yet again - what documents will I need ??

Is the same old lease just enough?

In my case, since I already have the notification-slip in my passport, they seem happy that I take only the passport, and they simply date-stamp the slip with one more date when I've 'notified'.

But Phuket might be different from here, so it might be worth asking other expats in Phuket, what their own experience is,  PhuketSarah for example ?  Or there might already be a thread on this, in your local sub-forum ?

The one time I went to report my return home from Bangkok, back when I though they still wanted (in Chiang Mai) notification after any trip out-of-province, I found that had been dropped so I asked the friendly young-lady  "Why ?".  "Oh, they change mind" was the reply ! :smile:

Edited by Ricardo

To waive the TM6 form for thais to reduce the immigration long queues for foreigners. That makes sense. Mhhh. But Thai still have to see immigration counters when they return from abroad. So, what is the idea behind the skipping TM6 form for Thai? What has it to do with the in long queues waiting foreign tourists and residents?

4 hours ago, Ricardo said:

In my case, since I already have the notification-slip in my passport, they seem happy that I take only the passport, and they simply date-stamp the slip with one more date when I've 'notified'.

But Phuket might be different from here, so it might be worth asking other expats in Phuket, what their own experience is,  PhuketSarah for example ?  Or there might already be a thread on this, in your local sub-forum ?

The one time I went to report my return home from Bangkok, back when I though they still wanted (in Chiang Mai) notification after any trip out-of-province, I found that had been dropped so I asked the friendly young-lady  "Why ?".  "Oh, they change mind" was the reply ! :smile:

I doubt this is required in Phuket. Never heard of it and never heard of anyone getting dinged for it in 8 years. In and out a hundred times. 

On 12/08/2017 at 10:20 AM, PhuketSarah said:

Ok fair  enough to state an address upon entry - but then why the necessity of the TM 30 address report? The 90 day?  I'm told by  Bangkok  ( by phone )  and Phuket IO personally  that   I must report in person to report my address within 24 hours of arriving home after ANY travel  in or out of Thailand. 

^^^     Another poster did report it, very early in the thread, having encountered it in Phuket Immigration-Office.

16 minutes ago, Pinot said:

I doubt this is required in Phuket. Never heard of it and never heard of anyone getting dinged for it in 8 years. In and out a hundred times. 

I believe you, but it's only been applied for the past year/year-and-a-half.

4 hours ago, Ricardo said:

^^^     Another poster did report it, very early in the thread, having encountered it in Phuket Immigration-Office.

I believe you, but it's only been applied for the past year/year-and-a-half.

It's a new thing that is required recently for people who come back to Thailand using reentry permits. Going to Immigration they attach a blue paper into the passport which is called the Receipt of Notification about the alien's address. I've been living in Thailand for 13 years and this is a new thing that started from last year.  I am sure many expats have no idea about this and I don't know if it is applied throughout Thailand.

Edited by Thunder26

Those tm6 forms are never checked. I could write the name of any residence on it. I am an honest stand up guy so I tell the truth but do you think a criminal is going to write the truth. Waste of time!

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, pops1 said:

Those tm6 forms are never checked. I could write the name of any residence on it. I am an honest stand up guy so I tell the truth but do you think a criminal is going to write the truth. Waste of time!

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Most crooks are so dumb they probably would 

There was an article in Bangkok Post during the past 3 days about the immigration queues at the airports.

They had interviewed some official from an airline association.

That person said that continuing to use the same TM6, use a revised one, or skip the TM6 all together,

will not make any difference to the queues.

The person said that the real/main problem is:

a) the management of the immigration personel resources are far from optimal

B) the airports are running way way beyond their maximum capacity - which is the real main problem

if I remember correctly; Swampy is servicing 15 mill pax above its max capacity on a yearly basis,

and that will cause severe problems, TM6 or not

dunno, thats what I saw in the paper

Maybe LoS could do the same as US is doing here and there,

Do LoS immigration in the country the flight departs from

Had to pinch myself reading that. Are you serious?

I thought about ETA, and the idea of having a pre clearance online prior to boarding a flight, and then swoosh through on arrivals. It's a viable idea.

Then I realized that while pinching myself I had felt no pain, and eventually woke up.

On a serious note, I hope they have considered that while the extension to swampy certainly accommodates more gates, does it actually consider how it should process the additional 10 million passengers per year?

Plans available online are very loose, but appears the central immigration hall will remain the only processing area for the additional 10 million pax per year.

1502805543915.jpg

If I remember the article correctly, Swampy is already running at 15 mill above its designed max capacity,

so catering for an added 10 mill is a substantial challenge.

The chap, some kind of international airline/travel association representative, painted a somewhat bleak

picture;

- never mind TM6, it is not significant re queue / throughput

- some improvement can be done through better management of immigration employees

- build/expand airports

12 hours ago, coulson said:

On a serious note, I hope they have considered that while the extension to swampy certainly accommodates more gates, does it actually consider how it should process the additional 10 million passengers per year?

Plans available online are very loose, but appears the central immigration hall will remain the only processing area for the additional 10 million pax per year.

1502805543915.jpg

Good question  ...  I'd also point out that while Satellite-Terminal-1, which is now belatedly under-construction, provides 28 extra gates according to that plan, the new Third Runway is not ASFAIK part of the current developemnt.

So it's a moot point whether there will be sufficient runway-capacity for the extra flights, we've seen how any scheduled runway-maintenance can cause problems & delays, in recent years. :glare:

AAT and the current government really need to be getting construction of that new runway underway !

15 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

There was an article in Bangkok Post during the past 3 days about the immigration queues at the airports.

They had interviewed some official from an airline association.

That person said that continuing to use the same TM6, use a revised one, or skip the TM6 all together,

will not make any difference to the queues.

The person said that the real/main problem is:

a) the management of the immigration personel resources are far from optimal

B) the airports are running way way beyond their maximum capacity - which is the real main problem

if I remember correctly; Swampy is servicing 15 mill pax above its max capacity on a yearly basis,

and that will cause severe problems, TM6 or not

dunno, thats what I saw in the paper

The person that said the TM6 doesn't have any impact on the queues obviously hasn't stood behind a bunch of Chinese or Russians filling the form in at the Immigration desks.