Driving licence.

Hutch68

8 hours ago, Salerno said:

Legally there's no need to get an IDP if he's there as a tourist and for less than 90 days. If more than 90 days, get an IDP or better a Thai licence (also read the fine print of the insurance).

Wow there !!!  90 days tops for tourist driving Thailand with a UK photo-card full Driving licence, a Thai driving is needed before end of 90 days when usually a non-imm visa is required as well not a tourist one.

Although IDP is not required for a full UK DL the consensus is it is better to have it as many Thai traffic police get mixed up with what is a valid DL & and what a International DL is also it will save some aggro. 

The Thai CTPL which all Thai vehicles should have will be still valid with a full UK DL some voluntary extra cover insurances e.g. 1st class may approve a full UK DL but get confirmation or it may be used as a get out clause in the microscopic print section.

36 minutes ago, Xaos said:

By law u dont need IDP, but scum still fine people, so I would advice you to get IDP

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Can you  cite the specific law that says this?  I have witnessed too many tickets for tourist driving without a IDP or IDL both on the street and at the Tourist Police station.

Can you  cite the specific law that says this?  I have witnessed too many tickets for tourist driving without a IDP or IDL both on the street and at the Tourist Police station.
To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.  Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/transport/driving-licences

In Pattaya police station they got signs with crossed out UK DL which is wrong.

I know uk guy who got fined, printed whole Geneva convention treety went to station and they canceled his fine.

2 hours ago, Xaos said:

In Pattaya police station they got signs with crossed out UK DL which is wrong.

I know uk guy who got fined, printed whole Geneva convention treety went to station and they canceled his fine.

Correct if you know your rights about certain things in Thailand and take the time to get proof and hold the police to account they will back off.

Pattaya is well know for tea money collection on unsuspecting tourist who are quite happy to pay the on spot fine and ride off with a smile.:biggrin:

2 hours ago, noise said:

Section 42 and 42-2 of the Motor Vehicle Act - B.E. 2522 (1979).