Koh Samui Hill Walks: Desmond Gillet – 75th Birthday

webfact

Desmond Gillet – 75th Birthday

des_gillet.jpg

The founding member of Koh Samui Hill Walks: Desmond Gillet turned 75 on Monday 14th August.

A long term resident of the island of Koh Samui (over 12 years), Des is an ardent walker (his only means of transportation)

Known as “The Walker” Des is known by ALL on our Island and with over 350 Hill walks under his belt, credit for mapping all of the mountain trails linking the various vilages as well as the record for the most circumnavigations of the Island – Ring Road Walks (53klms in about 8hours) – at 75 still going strong.

Des celebrated his birthday with friends one of whom said

Happy 75th Des! This man goes out of his way to help stop the effects of enormous injustice to those that need it, and don’t have the means. He has organised the most famous walking group on the islands for yonks. He is always there for a chat, a drink, or a sport or political rant. But mostly, he’s a bloody top bloke, that would go out of his way for anyone, and if you don’t need that, he’ll be a fabulous friend, drinking buddy, and conversationalist. He’s a star. And I hope to celebrate many more with him!

Source: http://www.samuitimes.com/desmond-gillet-75th-birthday/

samuitimes_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Samui Times 2017-08-15

I have had the good fortune of knowing this lovely soul for many years now. Everywhere he goes, he brightens up the place. A delightful man, who never has a nasty word to say about anyone. Des is what I refer to these days as a man's man. A real old school (and I mean that in a very positive manner) chap. Proud to count him amongst my friends. 

Desmond Gillet, "The Walker", used to write an interesting column in one of the local printed papers – in the ages while local news was still in print – great to hear he is still going walking strong...:smile: