Distilled Water Where To Obtain Based on Quality

cusanus

This was a tough one. The older threads on this topic were very unclear, so thought I'd do someone a favor. Turns out it was nearly impossible to find the analytic grade of distilled water I needed. Some said the auto shops, gas stations, or auto departments at Big Cs. I bought ten bottles labelled Pure Distilled Water 100% from the auto shop next to the Hang Dong Big C (the one near to Makro) at 10 baht each. I used an ohmmeter to test it at home and found it was 27 microsiemens/cm, while I needed less than 2. I gave it away to the tire shop next door. It was better than our filtered water at 75, but then who knows what the 27 microsiemens relates to - it could be lead salts after all, so NO, you can't get high grade distilled water that way. I spent ALL day looking at stores around Chiang Mai and gave up. I finally found a single web site appearing to list distilled water at less than 2 microsiemens, but it was all in Thai. I filled out the message form in English without knowing what the 6-7 fields meant, but got a reply quoting 20 liters at 250 baht. It wasn't easy to find the place, but it was up Suthep road from the moat past Suan Dok hospital and near to the Nimmanhaemin Rd intersection. Turns out they wouldn't let me use my meter to make sure it was less than 2 and by the spec sheet it appeared to be closer to 4, not good enough. Finally, she found me a box of two 5.5 liter bottles that were supposed to be less than 2 microsiemen/cm. I paid 460 baht for that, and then tested it. It registered 0.9, plenty good enough.  Now, I'm pretty sure you won't find lab grade distilled water anywhere else in quantity at an affordable price in Chiang Mai, so there's your answer if you were looking. 

UnionScienceMap.jpg

That shop, Union Science, is a great find. They carry many hard to find items and their pricing is quite reasonable. I bought some Boron there for an ant problem and was thrilled to see how many other interesting products they carry there.

This was a tough one. The older threads on this topic were very unclear, so thought I'd do someone a favor. Turns out it was nearly impossible to find the analytic grade of distilled water I needed. Some said the auto shops, gas stations, or auto departments at Big Cs. I bought ten bottles labelled Pure Distilled Water 100% from the auto shop next to the Hang Dong Big C (the one near to Makro) at 10 baht each. I used an ohmmeter to test it at home and found it was 27 microsiemens/cm, while I needed less than 2. I gave it away to the tire shop next door. It was better than our filtered water at 75, but then who knows what the 27 microsiemens relates to - it could be lead salts after all, so NO, you can't get high grade distilled water that way. I spent ALL day looking at stores around Chiang Mai and gave up. I finally found a single web site appearing to list distilled water at less than 2 microsiemens, but it was all in Thai. I filled out the message form in English without knowing what the 6-7 fields meant, but got a reply quoting 20 liters at 250 baht. It wasn't easy to find the place, but it was up Suthep road from the moat past Suan Dok hospital and near to the Nimmanhaemin Rd intersection. Turns out they wouldn't let me use my meter to make sure it was less than 2 and by the spec sheet it appeared to be closer to 4, not good enough. Finally, she found me a box of two 5.5 liter bottles that were supposed to be less than 2 microsiemen/cm. I paid 460 baht for that, and then tested it. It registered 0.9, plenty good enough.  Now, I'm pretty sure you won't find lab grade distilled water anywhere else in quantity at an affordable price in Chiang Mai, so there's your answer if you were looking. 

UnionScienceMap.jpg.f7f17e74ca6de633be1d2f6ef8ad311b.jpg

Does it not rain [emoji299]️ where you are? Catch the rain water [emoji97].

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Of course, have you never heard of Breaking Bad?

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Of course, but I restrained myself from countering that contrary to your opinion, owning a smart TV doesn't make you smart. There are a hundred and one uses for distilled water, try learning about them. 

12 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Of course, but I restrained myself from countering that contrary to your opinion, owning a smart TV doesn't make you smart. There are a hundred and one uses for distilled water, try learning about them. 

I much prefer watching paint dry.

:laugh:

12 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Thanks. Did consider all that, but have serious doubts about getting the quality needed. Even had to bug the clerks at Union Science to bring out the <2 microsiemen stuff and the price difference tells me that a DIY distiller wouldn't cut it. Now, for those asking WHY I need the high grade lab stuff, it's certainly not for any illicit purpose by any means, but would rather not steer the thread into that right now. Was considering broaching another issue about where to find a special herb, but again, it seems best not to mix it up that much. I simply wanted to contribute to the knowledge base at thaivisa and clarify to people the different options for getting distilled water and avoid making it too personal. Hope I've helped someone out there and thanks to all for your contributions as well. Do let me add, though, that pure distilled water isn't necessarily healthy, the body requires a good dose of certain minerals. 

13 minutes ago, faraday said:

What are your thoughts on Water Memory?

Doubt there's anything to it. I'm often considered a conspiracy nutjob, but I'm not a homeopathic buff. I'm well educated and firmly grounded in classical science, but then I also see clearly that Einstein and his relativity is pure bunk, a fineexample of Hitler's observation that if you repeat something often enough people will believe it, especially if their careers depend on it. There's very little real science out there anymore.

6 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Doubt there's anything to it. I'm often considered a conspiracy nutjob, but I'm not a homeopathic buff. I'm well educated and firmly grounded in classical science, but then I also see clearly that Einstein and his relativity is pure bunk, a fineexample of Hitler's observation that if you repeat something often enough people will believe it, especially if their careers depend on it. There's very little real science out there anymore.

Really, so do you think something like CERN is in this category?

I haven't seen any 'groundbreaking' discoveries from them yet...

21 minutes ago, faraday said:

Really, so do you think something like CERN is in this category?

I haven't seen any 'groundbreaking' discoveries from them yet...

Don't know about that, but did you see the video of the big celebration at CERN a few years back? Extremely bizarre, satanic theatrical thing. Ok, edit changed to reflect the video I meant to insert. 

13 minutes ago, faraday said:

Just watched a bit of it...that is seriously weird!

The audience was made of up high level world leaders, prime ministers and such, can't remember who exactly, I think the PM of France was one but many others. 

2 hours ago, cusanus said:

So it's not only the climate scientists who are in a conspiracy. It's also virtually all physicists. We are in grave danger.

So it's not for any illicit purpose, but you would prefer not to disclose why you need it. Strange. Could it be you are trying to revisit cold fusion?

There's very little real science out there anymore because anti-science is well entrenched in the minds of most right-wing politicians - and they are in the ascendancy at present.

3 hours ago, cusanus said:

I'm quite surprised that people are responding - of course what on earth do you need this for?

Unfortunately your comments get more bizarre - relativity bunk? 

I think you have been taking too much of what you are planning to cook up. Some interesting, sometimes weird , fun, members here. But from your OP and comments - a total nut job . 

23 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

But from your OP and comments - a total nut job . 

It is more about a man who found a laboratory supplies business and was surprised that they sold distilled or deionized water.

Although in fairness to your allusion,  spell checker did try and alter it to demonized water

46 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

So it's not for any illicit purpose, but you would prefer not to disclose why you need it. Strange. Could it be you are trying to revisit cold fusion?

There's very little real science out there anymore because anti-science is well entrenched in the minds of most right-wing politicians - and they are in the ascendancy at present.

What are your academic credentials that permit you to judge what is real science and waht is not? 

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

It is more about a man who found a laboratory supplies business and was surprised that they sold distilled or deionized water.

Although in fairness to your allusion,  spell checker did try and alter it to demonized water

It's about where to find distilled water. 

Archived