Reason for Edit

gandalf12

Can anyone give a reasonable explanation for the box that appears asking for the reason you edited your post? It seems totally irrelevant to everything and to be honest I really dont see why TV would want to know why you edited your own post.

If anyone can throw any reasonable comments into the mix I would be interested to read them.

Frivolous comments fine if they are comical

Sometimes if unknowingly making incorrect statements in a post rather than trying to correct the statements which could take more time than you have left before the edit capability goes away for the post (approx 30 minutes) it can be easier just to explain in an Edit comment to disregard certain statements....correct a major error, etc.  I've seen people do it that way before.  Rather than trying to edit out/correct the incorrect stuff (i.e., rewrite the post) they just make a  short Reason for Edit statement(s).  

Edited by Pib
Never mind above.

11 hours ago, Pib said:

Sometimes if unknowingly making incorrect statements in a post rather than trying to correct the statements which could take more time than you have left before the edit capability goes away for the post (approx 30 minutes) it can be easier just to explain in an Edit comment to disregard certain statements....correct a major error, etc.  I've seen people do it that way before.  Rather than trying to edit out/correct the incorrect stuff (i.e., rewrite the post) they just make a  short Reason for Edit statement(s).  

You can start edit and put the comment in there, no need for extras

It is nothing new that is for sure. But before the new software there was not a note at the top of post that it was edited.

Putting short note for the  reason would keep people from wondering why you edited your post. I would call it being courteous if you do it.

If adding something to my post I often write Edit before it then tick the box to show I edited it.

If correcting a typo I will write something like fixed typo in the reason box.