Muscle/nerve spasms are keeping me awake.

giddyup

I have had RLS (restless leg syndrome) for a few years, it comes and goes as far as intensity, but lately the symptoms seem to be getting worse, to the point where I'm really not getting much sleep at all, and what I do get isn't that good. Just as I'm about to fall asleep my body will have a spasm that wakens me again, and this cycle can keep repeating itself for most of the night. I believe this might also be known as a "hypnic jerk". I went to a doctor in Pattaya a few years back, but he only prescribed sleeping pills, which work to some degree, but I'd prefer if I didn't have to use them every night. Does anyone else suffer from this, and have they received any medical treatment (or homeopathic) that has had good results? The condition is really starting to get me down.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Are these spasms all in the legs? And are they painful?

The restless legs are more of a feeling of discomfort than pain, but the spasms that jerk me awake as I'm about to drop off are painless.

This is really simplistic but do you get enough potassium in your diet?

I used to get RLS frequently,   Unrelated to that, I had to start taking blood pressure meds, among them HydroChloroThiazide which can as a side effect, reduce potassium levels, so I eat a banana a day as a potassium supplement. 

Since I began doing that, I have not had any RLS episodes.  I can't say with any certainty that the bananas are preventing the RLS but certainly no harm in trying a few extra bananas in your diet.  There are many other good potassium sources such as potatoes, kidney beans, avocado, dried fruit.

Edited by dddave

Never heard of potassium to alleviate RLS. MY ex-wife had it for 20 years. Started on magnesium tablets then found out red wine has plenty enough of magnesium. Had half a glass of red with half water 30 mins before going to bed and shortly after ditched the tablets. Never had RLS return.2 drinks a day is good for you, so they say, especially the "Mediterranean" diet...make one or both of those a good glass of red. Apart from the magnesium, an enzyme in red wine called resveratrol is reputed to assist in cleaning clogged arteries of cholesterol. Red wine is a soporific and muscle relaxant to boot. Drink responsibly [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Enigmatist said:

Never heard of potassium to alleviate RLS. MY ex-wife had it for 20 years. Started on magnesium tablets then found out red wine has plenty enough of magnesium. Had half a glass of red with half water 30 mins before going to bed and shortly after ditched the tablets. Never had RLS return.2 drinks a day is good for you, so they say, especially the "Mediterranean" diet...make one or both of those a good glass of red. Apart from the magnesium, an enzyme in red wine called resveratrol is reputed to assist in cleaning clogged arteries of cholesterol. Red wine is a soporific and muscle relaxant to boot. Drink responsibly emoji41.png

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Have ordered some Magnesium Citrate to see if it makes any difference. I'll try that first, if no good, then the red wine.

1 minute ago, Xaos said:

Works wonders tho

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

If you don't have any sensible suggestions, go away. You have already been told that what you suggest is illegal.

I have had recurring fits with RLS and searched for a biochemical cause of it. I experienced the symptoms even when my serum potassium levels were slighly above normal, so I doubt that potassium was the culprit in my case. Then a month ago, I discovered that my Vitamin D level was abnormally low and had seen it steadily dropping over the past year. My doctor prescribed 10 x 20,000 IU tablets to be once taken every week until gone. I've now taken 4 pills in total over the past month and have definitely seen a decline in RLS. It still can come back to haunt me some nights, and I'm going to add magnesium supplementation to see if that could do the trick. Electrolytes need to be carefully balanced in the body, and if one is significantly off it could cause RLS symptoms. Some hospitals here offer a comprehensive vitamin and mineral test regime to isolate any problem areas. Perhaps the OP might want to look into such a procedure. 

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No good if you have an enlarged prostate apparently.

Norgesic is also nephrotoxic...can impair kidney function. For some older persons, or those with existing kidney disease this could be an important consideration. 

I've had RLS off and on and about a year ago I started having severe muscle spasms in legs and one arm. Saw a doctor at BPH, had an MRI and he put me on Lyrica. That seems to have solved the problem. I have since weaned myself off Lyrica and continue to be problem free.

You should definitely see a doctor before trying Lyrica (or any medicine) and Lyrica does have some potential side-effects.

FWIW, I have a friend who's a neurologist in the US. He has just RLS and takes Lyrica for that problem.

47 minutes ago, wombat said:

has anyone suggested the sleeping tablets are the cause of the restless leg syndrome

As I have already pointed out, the sleeping pills are only used when the RLS is so bad I can't get to sleep, and I don't use them every day.

34 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I've had RLS off and on and about a year ago I started having severe muscle spasms in legs and one arm. Saw a doctor at BPH, had an MRI and he put me on Lyrica. That seems to have solved the problem. I have since weaned myself off Lyrica and continue to be problem free.

You should definitely see a doctor before trying Lyrica (or any medicine) and Lyrica does have some potential side-effects.

FWIW, I have a friend who's a neurologist in the US. He has just RLS and takes Lyrica for that problem.

Wow! Lyrica certainly has some potential bad side effects, but I guess if the RLS condition gets bad enough you'll try anything.

Just now, giddyup said:

Wow! Lyrica certainly has some potential bad side effects, but I guess if the RLS condition gets bad enough you'll try anything.

Agree that there are some unpleasant potential side effects. I didn't take it when I just had the RLS, but only when I started having the more severe, painful muscle spasms with increased frequency. The only side effect I experienced was occasional slight feeling of loss of balance, but it did stop the spasms and the RLS, so for me it was worth it.

1 minute ago, bberrythailand said:

Pure weed also, but he needs to wait few years before it becomes legal pr move to Cambodia...

Plenty of places in the world where medical marijuana is legal. 

Just now, bberrythailand said:

How can you reply this way ? Stay with your problem ! and I wish you that they get worse !!!

Because you are suggesting that I try something in Thailand that is illegal. If you don't understand that you are dumber than you sound.

I agree with the previous poster that this could be a Potassium deficiency. Bananas are a good source but I would also start to supplement with Magnesium as well. You can get Magnesium supplements easily from a pharmacy. Try citrate, carbonate or even chelate. Avoid magnesium oxide as it's a laxative. You will need about 1000 mg per day to begin with.

8 minutes ago, shamrock09 said:

I agree with the previous poster that this could be a Potassium deficiency. Bananas are a good source but I would also start to supplement with Magnesium as well. You can get Magnesium supplements easily from a pharmacy. Try citrate, carbonate or even chelate. Avoid magnesium oxide as it's a laxative. You will need about 1000 mg per day to begin with.

Have already ordered Magnesium Citrate 250mg from iHerb, my usual supplier of vitamins and minerals. BTW, I eat plenty of bananas.