Sharp rise in the number of Brits dying in Thailand, according to official stats

webfact

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

This has been the case for 20+ years now.

Thailand is the most dangerous tourism destination for Britons. It is now the most dangerous tourism destination for Aussies and Swedes too.

Yup <deleted> getting wacked

The first question I would ask is, what value of life do Thais have for Thais and also foreigners alike?

Secondly from my own observations, there seems to be a marked decrease in the amount of foreigners residing now in Thailand on a permanent basis.
So in the event that is correct, then these statistics are even more worrisome.

The deaths in hospitals could be attributed to the presentation of the bill.

I would also call into questions whether or not these statistics really include all deaths.
Recording, registering, and notifying all the relevant Embassies would over a year produce a considerable amount of paper work, and where's the earner in that?

It would be interesting to hear if the equivalent of our Funeral Directors/Funeral Parlours at the Temples, are under any kind of obligation to notify the authorities of farang cremations.
Rarely heard of anyone being buried here.

On another part of the Gov.UK website, there is a 32 page Guide and Summary of what the British Government can, and cannot do for its citizens abroad.  It makes interesting reading.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-for-british-nationals-abroad-a-guide

A whole host of other useful documents can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/helping-british-people-overseas-travelling-and-living-abroad

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You would think that the FCO at least knows the age of the British nationals. How would they otherwise know that they are British?

Strangely, with foreigner deaths often classified as 'suicide' by Thai police; I don't see many suicides here.

Its only about one a week of foreigners in total, it is just always considered newsworthy by the English language news so it starts feeling like a lot as there is always one being talked about.

25 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

The first question I would ask is, what value of life do Thais have for Thais and also foreigners alike?

Secondly from my own observations, there seems to be a marked decrease in the amount of foreigners residing now in Thailand on a permanent basis.

I would also call into questions whether or not these statistics really include all deaths.
Recording, registering, and notifying all the relevant Embassies would over a year produce a considerable amount of paper work, and where's the earner in that?

It would be interesting to hear if the equivalent of our Funeral Directors/Funeral Parlours at the Temples, are under any kind of obligation to notify the authorities of farang cremations.

The temple can't cremate someone without a death certificate, the police must be notified within 24 hours of death and if it is a foreigner then they must have a response from their embassy before the death certificate can be issued.

27 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

And there are loads of cemeteries in Thailand, have you never noticed the half moon shaped decorated walls that point toward Mecca?

4 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

According to the foreign office the most dangerous tourism destinations for British are Afghanistan, Bukina Faso, Burundi, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger.  Thailand is not even in the top 15.

Tourists they are on about not Mercenaries going to war zones> Some people

5 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Tourists they are on about not Mercenaries going to war zones> Some people

The foreign office lists those countries as the most dangerous for  tourists, what were you thinking, the most dangerous out of the ones that are actually quite safe?  How exactly would you choose which to put in the list?

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

The foreign office lists those countries as the most dangerous for  tourists, what were you thinking, the most dangerous out of the ones that are actually quite safe?  How exactly would you choose which to put in the list?

They are dangerous because most are war zones or run by evil dictators, did you not notice. There is one I can think of to add so I will call them and get it adjusted, if that is ok with you.

IMO, given the statistics from the tourism people, those figures don't seem so bad. With the percentage increase from year to year you would expect the figures to differ a lot more than they do for 2014, 2015 & 2016.

The figures are not just about expats but I would imagine expats make up the vast majority of the figures, especially in the 50+ range.

20 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You forgot Syria :smile:

https://www.indy100.com/article/map-safest-countries-visit-uk-foreign-office-dangerous-travel-advice-check-help-7696931

15 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

They are dangerous because most are war zones or run by evil dictators, did you not notice. There is one I can think of to add so I will call them and get it adjusted, if that is ok with you.

Were you thinking Syria?  Its number 13.  And you can do what you like, why are you asking me for permission to call the foreign office?  Anyway, what would not be OK with me would be to compile a list of the most dangerous countries for tourists but leave the most dangerous countries for tourists off the list because they are so dangerous for tourists, that would be utterly ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, IslandLover said:

Only 13th?  That's surprising.

Well, that is just the result of the shockingly low amount of coverage that other conflicts are getting.  In 2008 we had the most deadly war since WW2 and it was barely on the news, Congo remains high on the list.

Unknown ......well it wasn't established wether the victim died of slashing his wrist while handcuffed,falling from a tall building, drowning during a self inflicted hanging in a cell while shooting/stapping him or herself multiple times......not to forget the classic,suicide by hanging while having hands tied behind your back....feel free to add creative ways to end your holiday 

Just now, Bangyo1948 said:

Unknown ......well it wasn't established wether the victim died of slashing his wrist while handcuffed,falling from a tall building, drowning during a self inflicted hanging in a cell while shooting/stapping him or herself multiple times......not to forget the classic,suicide by hanging while having hands tied behind your back....feel free to add creative ways to end your holiday 

I don't know, some have pointed out that self tying of hands to prevent backing out is actually quite common in suicides.  The most interesting one I have seen here was the scuba diver who tied himself to a rock underwater and slit his own throat, the fact that the knife remained nearby was taken as evidence that it was suicide!

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

I don't know, some have pointed out that self tying of hands to prevent backing out is actually quite common in suicides.  The most interesting one I have seen here was the scuba diver who tied himself to a rock underwater and slit his own throat, the fact that the knife remained nearby was taken as evidence that it was suicide!

Wasn't there another one who tied himself to a buoy.....

Archived