English language teachers urgently required

Credaf

I am posting this on behalf of the school Manager of an English Language School in the Nonthaburi area of Bangkok.

Due to expansion the school is URGENTLY seeking a nunber of part time native English speaking teachers.

If you are interested please contact *contact information edited out*

The package consists of:

Compensation: From 400 per hour

Employment type: Part-time

Days : Weekdays and Weekends

Teaching : Class or Private students, for all levels.

Rate: Start from 400 baht per hour minimum (depending on experience)

Location: 2 minutes walk from MRT Purple Line Station "Nonthaburi Civic Centre" opposite The Esplanade on Rattanathibet Road.

2 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

At b400 an hour, it can't be that urgent.

I always love the "due to expansion' bits. It's never bc they can't retain teachers.

This ad runs on ajarn and/or craigs regularly. 

Welcome to TV first poster.

400 baht @ 33 baht/ USD = $12/Hour.  Not a horrible intern type while combining some long term living experience over seas.  A combination of part time work and part time traveling.  Heck if I were retired there and could then somehow get a Work Permit, I would consider it.  It would give me something to besides just retiring.   25 hours a week or 100 hours  a month puts 1200 USD in one's pocket.  Certainly can pay the rent even after some taxation.  Is it worth it to do?  Not really for most people

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

400 baht @ 33 baht/ USD = $12/Hour.  Not a horrible intern type while combining some long term living experience over seas.  A combination of part time work and part time traveling.  Heck if I were retired there and could then somehow get a Work Permit, I would consider it.  It would give me something to besides just retiring.   25 hours a week or 100 hours  a month puts 1200 USD in one's pocket.  Certainly can pay the rent even after some taxation.  Is it worth it to do?  Not really for most people

Well, my public school pays me b700 an hour for Saturday's. I'm routinely offered b700-850  on contracts in Bangkok. I wouldn't touch it.

You add all sorts of if, what's and caveats. Nothaburi pay being so close to BKK is notoriously low. Ajarn is chronically littered with these low wage jobs. 

Teaching + travel. There's a real commitment! But this job is weekdays and weekends. How you gonna manage that champ? Working while on retirement visa is illegal as well.

It's yours, I would not even consider it. Then there is the issue of it simply being a language school. No benefits and lots of drama guaranteed.

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The problem with all these 'language schools"  is they don't want to pay 25 hours a week at 400 baht per. Part timers will get maybe 12 hours a week, and that will be nights and weekends. They will  hire a handful of full timers but put them on monthly salary, maybe at 35K for 25 + contact hours per week, which is even less than the 400 per hour, considering they likely want you there 40 hours per week to handle teachers who don't show up, etc  etc.

The only decent arrangements to be found in BKK are for a fully qualified teacher at an International school or teaching business English which are usually short term contracts starting at 600 baht per hour, but then you usually have to hustle and travel all over creation wherever the contract turns up.

7 minutes ago, tonray said:

The problem with all these 'language schools"  is they don't want to pay 25 hours a week at 400 baht per. Part timers will get maybe 12 hours a week, and that will be nights and weekends. They will  hire a handful of full timers but put them on monthly salary, maybe at 35K for 25 + contact hours per week, which is even less than the 400 per hour, considering they likely want you there 40 hours per week to handle teachers who don't show up, etc  etc.

The only decent arrangements to be found in BKK are for a fully qualified teacher at an International school or teaching business English which are usually short term contracts starting at 600 baht per hour, but then you usually have to hustle and travel all over creation wherever the contract turns up.

Totally agree.

Private lessons for me are just a waste of time and energy. Doubly so if not paid for cancellations. Next year I might consider working at some places close to my school, but not really. 

Outside the best tutoring centers and British Council. I think these places are just loser central. The only hope they have of attracting decent talent is young ambitious guys in the system and those that have burned up their waivers but can't or won't leave. These places are notoriously sketchy hiring just about any white person with a pulse.

Mind you the poster did so anonymously and not under his user so there you go.

2 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Totally agree.

Private lessons for me are just a waste of time and energy. Doubly so if not paid for cancellations. Next year I might consider working at some places close to my school, but not really. 

Outside the best tutoring centers and British Council. I think these places are just loser central. The only hope they have of attracting decent talent is young ambitious guys in the system and those that have burned up their waivers but can't or won't leave.

Mind you the poster did so anonymously and not under his user so there you go.

If I were more motivated I would pursue some Business English work but the travel and commuting costs in BKK are problematic. But the ones I have done were usually 2 or 3 days at a shot, and the students actually had fun being away from workplace for a day. The only issue was then I could never go back to teaching Mattayom and chasing unruly students around the room after the experience. Just not worth it...if I wanted to teach and make a decent wage, I would consider Vietnam at this point.

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yes, the cream has already left to Vietnam with others to follow. Just old guys left (40+) that take the craft seriously in the public schools imo.

I've always found teaching business English full of issues. No WP, running all about BKK, unpaid cancellations, moving goal posts, unrealistic expectations. Prep time, maybe time to set the room up. Lack of AV...pay headaches. Very thankless. I've never done it but had a friend, a good teacher give it up after a few gigs. He had nothing good to report about it and agency treated him as disposable despite he being a good teacher, business experience and on a school WP!

To the poster above, the dreamy 25 hours that would almost never be assigned. You do realize that means potentially 50 hours of work per week much of which is evenings and weekends. Usually exact opposite hours older guys like working as well. It's also eight hours pw more than I do as a ft public school teacher. So his idea of this being some sort of slack job is very 555.

1 hour ago, ozmeldo said:

Well, my public school pays me b700 an hour for Saturday's. I'm routinely offered b700-850  on contracts in Bangkok. I wouldn't touch it.

You add all sorts of if, what's and caveats. Nothaburi pay being so close to BKK is notoriously low. Ajarn is chronically littered with these low wage jobs. 

Teaching + travel. There's a real commitment! But this job is weekdays and weekends. How you gonna manage that champ? Working while on retirement visa is illegal as well.

It's yours, I would not even consider it. Then there is the issue of it simply being a language school. No benefits and lots of drama guaranteed.

Are you daft or just mad at the world today?  I was just suggesting that some may go for it.  And of course I am aware of being retired and working and a work permit needs.  That is why I mentioned it.  If you don't like it, don't do it.  I have no need to do this.  I have some interest in the new 4 year professional skills visa that was recently in the news, since I am an engineer with several degrees and I would be interested in tutoring people in many technical areas if that visa and its details come to light

A lot of the qualified teachers (with the proper Thai teaching licence), don't normally take up jobs like this. They are generally earning enough from their normal full-time job. Many teachers have had to leave the country as they did not qualify for the licence. Good teachers willing to work for a low salary are very thin on the ground now. Schools not offering enough money / benefits get what they deserve.  

Archived