Where Do I Meet Friends In Cm

tahlin

I have been in Chiang Mai for a while and planning to stay longer and get a job. The thing is I dont seem to meet anyone who is actually living here or staying here. Everyone is just here for trekking or to see temples and move on. The people I do meet, that are living here, are about 30 years older than me and here for the golf... Im 30, female and very nice :o Please tell me where you all hang out.

I had that problem when I first came here - it's like every pharang you meet is a retiree.

I used to hang out sometimes at Johns Place near tapai gate and chat to random pharang there, and met a few interesting ones, but alot of the pharang there are tourists or soon-to-be dirty old men, so I try to get away from that scene unless I'm way too bored or meeting someone I know.

I met someone pretty cool on this forum, met someone really nice at John's place, and met a bunch of people at the gym.

So I assume just being out and about and no being at home helps a lot, but it would great if we had some sort of social thingy with people who surf this forum. I'd be up for that for sure (I'm 30, not 60 =P).

Just post a date that you would like to go out on and see who turns up at the venue of your choice...we have had many TV get-togethers in the not too distant past..the last one was when the World Cup was on, previously when I owned a restaurant we had some great Sunday Barbies.

However many forum members who attended those have now moved on...but ANY MEMBER can do it...there is now a new influx of Farang into Chiang Mai....post a time date and place and see who responds.

Good Luck

TP

I have been in Chiang Mai for a while and planning to stay longer and get a job. The thing is I dont seem to meet anyone who is actually living here or staying here. Everyone is just here for trekking or to see temples and move on. The people I do meet, that are living here, are about 30 years older than me and here for the golf... Im 30, female and very nice :o Please tell me where you all hang out.

Why not tell us about some of your interests, hobbies, pursuits, etc. That way those with similar ones can contact you. We know that you're female and 30, but that's not really much of a basis for friendship or companionship. It's only one part of the whole. :D

I doubt you wish to sit and chat with 70 year old golfers, and you've mentioned that you're not so much in the mood for the folks who pass through doing the backpack thing. What do YOU like to do? What do you read? Do you like animals? Kite flying? Krabi Krabong? What sorts of foods attract you? Old tear jerker movies, foreign films, or modern thrillers? Give us some help and we can give you some help! :D

I know that when I used to move into a new area, I always hit the local lectures on culture, science, philosophy, etc., and the music scene. And of course, the fishing. Those are somewhat narrow in scope here, but they do exist.

The Fly Fisherman

Pop down to Boots the Chemist, thats Ulysses G's normal hangout, it is rumoured :D

Sorry I couldnt resist that :D

Pop down to Boots the Chemist, thats Ulysses G's normal hangout, it is rumoured :D

Nah we know thats not true...we all know he spends all his(lunch) time in one eatery or another...where would we be without him??

He makes some good posts..dont be so cruel :D

Nah we know thats not true...we all know he spends all his(lunch) time in one eatery or another...where would we be without him??

He makes some good posts..dont be so cruel :D

I'm just pulling his leg (or whatever) :D

Do you not remember his post on Boots the Chemist.

I'm not sure if i'm the cool person Oz is speaking about .. whahha

Huge ego i have and ego i shall be whahha

joke aside .

hey we are going dinner tomorrow - Why not you join us .

. there should be a few girl and guys -

let me know .. usually i play poker with Oz . to kill time ..

i am 30 also and i am not a tourist wahhah a

drop me a message - with your contact i will call you

we should be having BBQ buffet at about 6 pm call early so everyone can arrange to meet up .

Everything is share - do bring money and a big smile :o

Why not tell us about some of your interests, hobbies, pursuits, etc. That way those with similar ones can contact you. We know that you're female and 30, but that's not really much of a basis for friendship or companionship. It's only one part of the whole. :D

I doubt you wish to sit and chat with 70 year old golfers, and you've mentioned that you're not so much in the mood for the folks who pass through doing the backpack thing. What do YOU like to do? What do you read? Do you like animals? Kite flying? Krabi Krabong? What sorts of foods attract you? Old tear jerker movies, foreign films, or modern thrillers? Give us some help and we can give you some help! :D

I know that when I used to move into a new area, I always hit the local lectures on culture, science, philosophy, etc., and the music scene. And of course, the fishing. Those are somewhat narrow in scope here, but they do exist.

The Fly Fisherman

Someone posted something similar for a post of me when i made a similar post. But really, I just like to chat about nothing particularly worth mentioning outside of that random discussion.

Plus, people often get along with people of different interests.

Oh yeh .. The buffet dinner tomorrow - is OPEN to Anyone who want to come .. is 6 pm .. so you messag eme before 4 pm and iw ill call you and guild you to the location or arange transport for you ..

we are a branch of light hearted .. joke talking easy speaking people ..

personally i crack alot of joke and talk silly sometime ..

so do bring a light minded heart also .. :o

Somehow, I don't think any 30 year old, Western females are looking to meet up with Ulysses G. :D

Somehow, I don't think any 30 year old, Western females are looking to meet up with Ulysses G. :D

They might fancy a bit of rough :D

Hey everyone...

I've been talking about my place a little bit on this forum (don't know if I'm allowed to auto-advertise, hehe...!) but seriously, I own a café in Chiang Mai, and I think it's the perfect place for expats to hang out. We have good music, we never play it too loud so you can actually have a conversation with friends without shouting, we have cheap drinks, sofas and you get to meet ME (young canadian lady - 22 - I can be your nong-sao!) and my lovely thai husband (old - 35), and I have some really sweet farang teachers friends that are hanging around almost every night.

Here's my address, right now we open around 4h30 to midnight but soon we'll be open all day...

Hero Café

21 Moon Muang soi 7 (close to Wat Lamchang and CM Appartment)

Don't be shy...! And if you come you are also helping a new-born business, hihi...!

P.S.: right now I'm in Canada, coming back on Jan 12th but my husband is running the café on his own right now.

P.P.S.: in case you come, my real name is Julie, just so you don't feel too awkwards to look for a SkyWeung, hehe

Edited by SkyWeung

best way to make friends is get on your feet and just meet up ..

-

i had met alot of friends in chiangmai over the years . and many people from other country and had kept in touch .

most people is friendly .

some is kinda weird . some is kinda strange .

but if you just looking to hang out and chill.

who care right :o

we go BBQ , club , din at fancy places , eat out at road side store , go to car event , ect ect .

i am intro you some thai friends also .

Wizzards first reply hit the nail on the head

If your in the "30" slightly over or under age bracket, if not a back packer take an interest or decide to

learn something new and that way you meet people.

CM as a second city for a country of 65M is a tiny place, but by getting about and taking part in stuff as corny

as it may sound is what you need to do

I had that problem when I first came here - it's like every pharang you meet is a retiree.

I used to hang out sometimes at Johns Place near tapai gate and chat to random pharang there, and met a few interesting ones, but alot of the pharang there are tourists or soon-to-be dirty old men, so I try to get away from that scene unless I'm way too bored or meeting someone I know.

I met someone pretty cool on this forum, met someone really nice at John's place, and met a bunch of people at the gym.

So I assume just being out and about and no being at home helps a lot, but it would great if we had some sort of social thingy with people who surf this forum. I'd be up for that for sure (I'm 30, not 60 =P).

There are of course many farangs who live in Chiang Mai and I am one of them. Statistically however the majority are likely to be closer to 60 than to 30. It's interesting from the two posts above that the emphasis is on age and I find that slightly odd. Two of my best friends here are aged 25 and 70 whilst I am approaching what I guess you might describe as "dirty old man" age of 52! My response to all of this is that you can easily meet lots of interesting and fun people anywhere, especially in CM if you perhaps broaden your age scope, it's not difficult and it's often very rewarding.

julie...Im gonna be in chiangmai from 11th to 14th...so might try to find your cafe :o not sure if I manage since I dont know the place that well

anyway...maybe see you there :D

by the way is it the kind of place young and older people will feel comfortable in?

Wizzards first reply hit the nail on the head

If your in the "30" slightly over or under age bracket, if not a back packer take an interest or decide to

learn something new and that way you meet people.

CM as a second city for a country of 65M is a tiny place, but by getting about and taking part in stuff as corny

as it may sound is what you need to do

It's really only a second city in terms of facilities, tourism, foreign inhabitants and (perceived) importance, not by numbers.

For example, Nakhon Ratchasima, Songkhla and Khon Kaen all have more inhabitants than Chiang Mai. Admittedly statistics are sketchy since most people remain registered at their family home even when working and living in the city, but it is still pretty clear Chiang Mai is smaller than a few other cities in the Kingdom.

julie...Im gonna be in chiangmai from 11th to 14th...so might try to find your cafe :o not sure if I manage since I dont know the place that well

anyway...maybe see you there :D

by the way is it the kind of place young and older people will feel comfortable in?

Sweet...!

I might not be there before the 14th because right now I'm back home in canada but I should be back in Chiang Mai on the 14th at 6am if I take the bus or 1pm if I take the train...

And it's really easy to find, it's in the heart of the touriste area. Thanon Moon Muang is the big road along the eastern moat (where Thapae gate is), and from that big road there's 9 soi going inside the «square» (if you look at a map you will understand), and it's on soi 7, you cannot miss it...!