wife not with me for visa extension based on marriage

My non-o visa expired yesterday (Sat 19 Aug 2017) and was planning to go to Immigration tomorrow (Mon 21 Aug). No overstay fine because expiry date fell on a weekend. However, didn't realize wife will be out of town until Wednesday. Should I still go to Immigration tomorrow to apply for extension without wife, or go on Wednesday with wife and pay overstay fine?

• Like 1

Visas are not extended. If your visa is expiring your current permit to stay would remain valid.

If you wanting to extend your permit to stay based upon marriage your wife must be with you. Going to immigration without her would do no good.

Why have you waited until the last day to do your extension?

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. So no point in going tomorrow if wife is not with me. Better to go on Wednesday and pay the overstay fine.

What about if I go tomorrow and apply for extension of permit to stay based on work? I am employed by my own business with work permit.

22 minutes ago, klaus80 said:

What about if I go tomorrow and apply for extension of permit to stay based on work? I am employed by my own business with work permit.

I doubt you could get the long list of required documents together for an extension based upon working by tomorrow.

See this list of the basic requirements. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_1

Are paying yourself a minimum salary of 50k baht. That is the requirement for those from most western countries.

3 minutes ago, tstcman said:

Ubonjoe, so when you go to apply for your extension based on marriage your wife has to be with you? No one ever mentioned that before in the requirements or anything

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, tstcman said:

For the year extension not 60-day. Let me clarify that

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That has been mentioned many times. It is the same for a 60 day extension.

1 hour ago, klaus80 said:

My non-o visa expired yesterday (Sat 19 Aug 2017)

If you go on Monday or Wednesday i wouldn't worry about the overstay fine but more that your visa has expired and you won't be able to get any extension. Not 100% on Monday but i would say for sure if you went Tuesday onwards, Is that correct Joe? 

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

If you go on Monday or Wednesday i wouldn't worry about the overstay fine but more that your visa has expired and you won't be able to get any extension. Not 100% on Monday but i would say for sure if you went Tuesday onwards, Is that correct Joe? 

There would be no overstay if a visa expired. An overstay is only for a permit to stay.,

Most immigration offices will accept an application for an extension of stay with few days of overstay after the fine is paid.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There would be no overstay if a visa expired. An overstay is only for a permit to stay.,

Most immigration offices will accept an application for an extension of stay with few days of overstay after the fine is paid.

59 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Many thanks Joe, not sure i truly understand but i learn something new everyday with the immigration rules of Thailand.

You could enter the day before the Visa expires.

Although the Visa expires the following day, you still have permission to stay for 60/90 days.

It's only when this permission to stay expires that you are on overstay.

OP, I think that you should put your foot down, and ask your wife nicely but strongly to take a day off, stay home with you, and attend to the Immigration office... Easy like hell... Just be firm ....Dont be afraid...

Glegolo

3 minutes ago, glegolo said:

OP, I think that you should put your foot down, and ask your wife nicely but strongly to take a day off, stay home with you, and attend to the Immigration office... Easy like hell... Just be firm ....Dont be afraid...

Glegolo

Apparently, his wife is out of town. Presumably, this is for important business reasons. To cancel at the last moment probably risks losing a good job. That may not be a good trade off, however nicely you ask your wife to do it.

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Apparently, his wife is out of town. Presumably, this is for important business reasons. To cancel at the last moment probably risks losing a good job. That may not be a good trade off, however nicely you ask your wife to do it.

Yes as said, maybe with a bit of a planning about since 30 days back, his wife could have rearranged her schedule, and all would  be good...... This is a free advice, no charge...

Glegolo

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I doubt you could get the long list of required documents together for an extension based upon working by tomorrow.

See this list of the basic requirements. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_1

Are paying yourself a minimum salary of 50k baht. That is the requirement for those from most western countries.

That list seems to have grown since 5 years ago when I last extended based on work. I think I'll stick with the overstay fine and marriage extension this time.

5 minutes ago, klaus80 said:

That list seems to have grown since 5 years ago when I last extended based on work. I think I'll stick with the overstay fine and marriage extension this time.

Please report back here and let us all know how it goes.

Hope your local IO are a friendly bunch.

6 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

As said, you have had up to 45 days to apply.

Why wait until the last minute?

Yes your Wife has to be with you when you apply.

I messed up with my google calendar reminder. I thought I set it to remind me 4 weeks BEFORE the expiry date, but instead got the reminder ON the expiry date. Now just deciding which will cause least damage - cancel wife's trip or wait till Wednesday to go to Immigration.

It's not only the overstay fine, it's also the WP renewal. I would expect your WP to be cancelled.then you will need to go through the laborious process of applying again.

I know it's been already posted here - I go 30 days before renewal in case of the expected problems with a marriage extension. You could apply on the basis of your WP. Lots of copies of company papers/audit/etc etc.

Given I use the married man one year extension then as I have a WP I cannot use the 400 K in bank route, I have to show income from out company= all the company docs -- same same.

Edited by LivinginKata

4 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

It's not only the overstay fine, it's also the WP renewal. I would expect your WP to be cancelled.then you will need to go through the laborious process of applying again.

My WP is valid for another 1.5 years. If I wait till Wednesday, will my WP be jeopardized?

7 minutes ago, klaus80 said:

My WP is valid for another 1.5 years. If I wait till Wednesday, will my WP be jeopardized?

That's interesting - here in Phuket the Labour Office link to the expiry date of your current one year extension = WP expires same day as extension expires.

But in saying that a few years ago the Labour Office granted me a 2 year WP term so what I say above does not compute. Mind you for the last 5 years only one year granted. Mind you Phuket makes up it's own rules.

I cant comment on your WP situation  worth checking.

Edited by LivinginKata