Patong police checking taxis

LivinginKata

We were down at Loma Park on Patong Beach about 10.30 today. Very big traffic police presence with a soldier in attendance. Several police bikes with at the flashing light, and a pick-up. Thought they were pulling over bikes but ther were working their way up all the parked green plate taxi. Might be they were looking for unlicenced taxis ?

Just now, KarenBravo said:

......so, what's the situation with parking, or, is that being quietly forgotten?

I got parked Ok, saw a few empty places. Mind you a parkie quickly rushed over and asked for 10 Baht. I wonder if the green plate taxis also pay ?  Police were for sure targeting parked green plate taxis.

30 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I got parked Ok, saw a few empty places. Mind you a parkie quickly rushed over and asked for 10 Baht. I wonder if the green plate taxis also pay ?  Police were for sure targeting parked green plate taxis.

I'm assuming you parked on the beach side of the road, where all of the public spaces are marked.

I haven't been over there during the day for a while - are the majority of those beach-side spaces still occupied by people operating their car and motorbike rental businesses?

2 hours ago, DrDave said:

I'm assuming you parked on the beach side of the road, where all of the public spaces are marked.

I haven't been over there during the day for a while - are the majority of those beach-side spaces still occupied by people operating their car and motorbike rental businesses?

Yes we drove all the way down the beach road looking to park on a beach side parking slot. I can't say I noticed any emply slots all the way down to Bangla, and this was 10.30. Hard to see the operators as the sit under tree looking to fish in a customer. We wanted to take my  grand kids to Loma Park kids play ground. So we parked just past the Loma resturants. About 4 empty bays there - pay 10 baht (cheap to have an attendant and no vandilism). As I said a big police presence looked to be checking parked green plate taxi with driver in or near car.

On an aside note - what a dump Loma Park has turned into. A real disgrace. The kiddies play area had a swing frame but no swings. 2 of the rocking  toys had been removed leaving the 3 big springs in the ground on each side. Kids were jumping up on the springs and  I considered a real hazard if kid fall on top of exposed big spring. Indeed all of Patong looks like a dump to me and my family.

Edited by LivinginKata

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes we drove all the way down the beach road looking to park on a beach side parking slot. I can't say I noticed any emply slots all the way down to Bangla, and this was 10.30. Hard to see the operators as the sit under tree looking to fish in a customer. We wanted to take my  grand kids to Loma Park kids play ground. So we parked just past the Loma resturants. About 4 empty bays there - pay 10 baht (cheap to have an attendant and no vandilism). As I said a big police presence looked to be checking parked green plate taxi with driver in or near car.

On an aside note - what a dump Loma Park has turned into. A real disgrace. The kiddies play area had a swing frame but no swings. 2 of the rocking  toys had been removed leaving the 3 big springs in the ground on each side. Kids were jumping up on the springs and  I considered a real hazard if kid fall on top of exposed big spring. Indeed all of Patong looks like a dump to me and my family.

There is a children's play set and adults gym set on the beach front reserve at the right angle bend just past the Karon circle heading towards Patong, plenty of parking on the beach access road

4 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

There is a children's play set and adults gym set on the beach front reserve at the right angle bend just past the Karon circle heading towards Patong, plenty of parking on the beach access road

Yes, as we live in Kata the kids either are taken to the Kata play/exercise area next to Club Med and the play/exercise area past Karon Circle. Today I was just showing them Patong - what a disappointment, Patong is just a slum caused by poor/no planning and no maintenance funding. 

14 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes, as we live in Kata the kids either are taken to the Kata play/exercise area next to Club Med and the play/exercise area past Karon Circle. Today I was just showing them Patong - what a disappointment, Patong is just a slum caused by poor/no planning and no maintenance funding. 

It gets more disappointing as time goes on compared to 1995 when it was a nice place to stay when on holidays, only first time travellers mainly stop there now who don't know better

To many better areas to stay in now for repeat travellers who have got to know the island and its beaches, attractions and shopping

It really is starting to look like a slum in the daytime for sure, and i don't think they will do anything to improve it, except talk about doing something as they usually do  

I walk Patong beach most mornings between 8am - 10am, I park north end just on the prom under a palm tree (not an official parking bay) have parked there nearly two years and have never had any probs. Yes Loma park has gone to ruin slightly which is a shame, they have just laid a few concrete floor areas and starting erecting canopies over them, the area where they hold various fairs etc, have not noticed any Police checks myself, Id estimate that 70% of bike rentals are still there between Bangla jct and south end although not as evident, their bikes are parked in bays but they are now hanging back under the palms etc where before they set up shop on the parking areas.

I did notice Saturday morning near Loma park sail flag signs had been posted with Save Patong Beach on them, I remember thinking you got to be kidding right? I love this place but every year it just goes worse, I fear there is really no hope for what really is and should be a Paradise, you could not manage to do a place down better if you actively tried....

23 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

The new park at the south side of Kata Beach next to the surf bar is lovely. Let's see for how long long. 

Edited by ThaiWai

17 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

The new park at the south side of Kata Beach next to the surf bar is lovely. Let's see for how long long. 

I think it will be just fine as it is maintained by Club Med as part of their new 30 lease deal. So not a corrupt tesibaan management.  

Have the answer to my question ... www.thephuketnews.com/army-opens-fire-with-fines-on-patong-tuk-tuk-taxi-drivers-63606.php

PHUKET: Soldiers from the Royal Thai Army began their campaign against tuk-tuk, taxi and van drivers occupying public parking spaces in Patong in earnest this week with more than 76 drivers fined since Monday (Aug 21).

13 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Have the answer to my question ... www.thephuketnews.com/army-opens-fire-with-fines-on-patong-tuk-tuk-taxi-drivers-63606.php

PHUKET: Soldiers from the Royal Thai Army began their campaign against tuk-tuk, taxi and van drivers occupying public parking spaces in Patong in earnest this week with more than 76 drivers fined since Monday (Aug 21).

I look forward to the day that headline omits the words "with-fines" .

On 25/08/2017 at 8:11 PM, LivinginKata said:

lets see how long this lasts.......