Kind Gestures From Thai People

Jet Gorgon

Wow ! Where did this come back from ...? :D Like a boomerang eh Terry ? :D The phoenix has risen from the ashes with stories of good intent from the LOS :bah: ... You just can't kerp a good kanooook down eh Miss Jet or should it be you just can't keep her wriggley hairdo down :D ... get the beers in luv its party time .... :o:D

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow ! Where did this come back from ...? :D Like a boomerang eh Terry ? :D The phoenix has risen from the ashes with stories of good intent from the LOS :bah: ... You just can't kerp a good kanooook down eh Miss Jet or should it be you just can't keep her wriggley hairdo down :D ... get the beers in luv its party time .... :o:D

sure is a boomerang dave, as a few good positive threads is what we like aint it.?

as we the postive dudes mate. :bah:

sorry to interrupt the banter, but getting back to the OP, i have a few nice ones.

one that comes to mind is when i was so sick in hospital with malaria. my ex's family still really love me despite what their son thinks, and they came all the way to bkk from udon to see me in hospital. they still call me now to say 'donna, come up to the village. XXX isnt gonna be there! just come up and stay with us because we miss you".

sorry to interrupt the banter, but getting back to the OP, i have a few nice ones.

one that comes to mind is when i was so sick in hospital with malaria. my ex's family still really love me despite what their son thinks, and they came all the way to bkk from udon to see me in hospital. they still call me now to say 'donna, come up to the village. XXX isnt gonna be there! just come up and stay with us because we miss you".

thats a nice story donna.

do you think you will still go to udon to see the family and stay in contact ?

Terence...so your mother could not spell either. Miillinium? That's pretty creative, too. lol And very kind words all of these are. Awwww. Where's that sweet Canadian hawk?

cricky's miss jet,

you got me again, but i also got you, as you mispelt my mispelling so i'll give it a crack again.

"MILLENNIUM" how's that.?

anyway,

to answer your other question, the hawk has done a runner as his mommy was calling him. :D

cheers Miss Gorgon

More like some Maple syrup and Rye whisky came his way ... that'll silence a canoook quicker than it takes a katoy to unbuckle your belt Terry

Bit like Somtam and stinky fish with the girls at Gecko bar ... don't plan on getting any fresh frothies coming your way until the bowls are licked clean

On that note Miss Gorgon it has been rumoured that Terry was born of the Jackal and Jackals are notoriously bad spellers ...

your a legend, :bah:

anyway, you make sure you look after my katoey boy/girl friends will you. :D

dont want that canadian cracking on to them. :D:o:bah:

If Miss Jet is one of those infamous beasts found roaming the tundra and watering holes of Saskatchewan known as 'the cougar' then there is absolutely nothing I, or even the army of Thailand can do to prevent her taking all of your precious cargo if that's what she really wants :o

I've seen first hand what havoc these creatures can wreck upon the local populus and to say they are a little impulsive would be like saying 9 towers of dark German ales is going to make you a little unsteady on your feet .... :D

My car overheated in Klong Hat and as I was looking at the engine with no idea how to fix it (even if I knew what the problem was) a scooter drove up and a Thai gentleman looked at the wirering for a couple of min. and then jumped on his bike and left, after about 5min. he returned with some wire and fixed the cooling fans. I speak very little Thai but tried to pay him and he said "NO, MAYBE YOU CAN HELP SOME-ONE SOMETIME" (translation)..... I found where this man works and now each time I pass through Klong Hat I stop with a small gift for his granddauther.

My car overheated in Klong Hat and as I was looking at the engine with no idea how to fix it (even if I knew what the problem was) a scooter drove up and a Thai gentleman looked at the wirering for a couple of min. and then jumped on his bike and left, after about 5min. he returned with some wire and fixed the cooling fans. I speak very little Thai but tried to pay him and he said "NO, MAYBE YOU CAN HELP SOME-ONE SOMETIME" (translation)..... I found where this man works and now each time I pass through Klong Hat I stop with a small gift for his granddauther.

I love how Thais do that. No words, just check and go, and come back and fix.

That's a mighty fine way of showing your gratitude. I bet they love it and it's nice for you, too. :o

This is the best thread I have read on this forum. Most just bitch and moan...

===

1. Got a massage. Left my $$$ iPod in the room. Massage girl found it well after I had left and ran about five blocks to catch up and give it back...

2. Went to change some $$$ at Don Muang (ooooo miss that place) money changer. Man said "if you can wait ten minutes the rates for today will change and you will get a better rate"

3. Went into an airline to buy a ticket. Lady made a booking and then said "the travel agent up the hall will give you a much better price" (agents will often rebate their commission

4. Drivers in Phuket that stop as I walk along the road to ask if I would like a ride

And yes-- They ALWAYS offer to share their food. ALWAYS

One of my favorite games is to bargain for example from 100 baht to 80 baht for a t-shirt or whatever. Usual game. Then give them the 100 baht with a "Mai Ben Rai". The smile is worth far more than the 20 baht premium!

David J, you referred to me as a cougar?

Gloves are off.

Can't be sure Miss Jet but snakes and cats are immiscible :D (do you remember that word ...?) so it's highly unlikely, but, even if you were, you would still be welcome for a fresh frothy ale on Rambuttri with myself and Larry.... as long as you wore a muzzle ... :o

David J, you referred to me as a cougar?

Gloves are off.

Can't be sure Miss Jet but snakes and cats are immiscible :bah: (do you remember that word ...?) so it's highly unlikely, but, even if you were, you would still be welcome for a fresh frothy ale on Rambuttri with myself and Larry.... as long as you wore a muzzle ... :D

Ya ya, immiscible. My headgear reminds me of it every day. And where do the cats fit in here? Cougars are homogenous with young laddies. I'm actually surprised you retained the meaning after such short usage. :D

And as I asked before, who is Larry? :D A Californian vegan? :D

And is all this guff a kind gesture in disguise? It's slightly :o

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Nice one. Lots of stories of bus robberies, but I believe Thai people are exceptionally honest. That driver probably would have stored your bag and waited forever for you to return. Nice to give him a reward. :o

I'd say you're lucky, or living in a "nice" area. I left some nice clothes on a bus recently, and when I went back the next day they were no where to be seen. I even told my girl at the time, "don't worry, this is Thailand, it'll be there". The bus staff just embarrassingly shrugged their head as if to say, this is life in Thailand, don't leave anything on the bus.

Nice one. Lots of stories of bus robberies, but I believe Thai people are exceptionally honest. That driver probably would have stored your bag and waited forever for you to return. Nice to give him a reward. :D

I'd say you're lucky, or living in a "nice" area. I left some nice clothes on a bus recently, and when I went back the next day they were no where to be seen. I even told my girl at the time, "don't worry, this is Thailand, it'll be there". The bus staff just embarrassingly shrugged their head as if to say, this is life in Thailand, don't leave anything on the bus.

Maybe it was another...farang... :o

Nice one. Lots of stories of bus robberies, but I believe Thai people are exceptionally honest. That driver probably would have stored your bag and waited forever for you to return. Nice to give him a reward. :D

Yes, it could've been, but even so I'll be careful to never leave anything on a bus and assume it's gone if I do. Judging by the attitude of the management staff who I contacted the next day, it's not unusual to lose stuff left on a bus.

Yes, it could've been, but even so I'll be careful to never leave anything on a bus and assume it's gone if I do. Judging by the attitude of the management staff who I contacted the next day, it's not unusual to lose stuff left on a bus.

Yep, always gotta look after your own gear. But, sorry to hear you lost some nice stuff.

Troppo ,

I have a similar story . My TGF caught the bus home after I went to work . I had given her some money to pay for some work that was done on the house . Upon exiting the bus she found the money missing . Around 14000baht . Never recovered . She figures that it was taken out of her bag while she slept . I would be very carefull with belongings on the bus .

On a good note though , We left the village one day to purchase some furniture in nearby Pochi . I decided that while the GF was shopping for furniture that I would go to the internet cafe and catch up on emails . But the only internet cafe in Pochi was closed for the day . So I returned to the furnire shop . The lady who run the shop had her daughter switch on her laptop in her bedroom , and connect to the net so I could check my emails . Cold glass of water while I worked away as well . Would not accept any payment for it . We purchased 2 King size beds and mattresses , an enetertainment unit , a large 2 piece glassdoor cupboard for storing pillows and blankets , and some bedding . Delivery was free , and a discount on the original price . All this for less than 18000baht .

I like every now and then to buy a carving of some type while I am visiting Pattaya . I don't go to shops or anything , if a tout walks past carrying something of interest i will simply give him a glance . I know nothing of timber or of carvings other than if it is heavy that it's good timber . The price always starts way to high and I will often counter with a 3rd of the original price . They will counter with something else and say that it took 2 weeks to carve , and how good the timber is . Then I turn to ignore them . Always I will get the Item that I am interested in within a couple of hundred baht of the first price I countered with . Always they will wrap up the item that I have purchased , shake my hand and many cop kuhn kraps to show that they are also happy for the deal . Now I am told these carvings can be purchased cheaper just north of Bangkok somewhere , but that is not where I shop or even visit , so a couple of hundred baht for handling and transport is still a pretty good deal in my books . And to tell you the truth I think the touts are often tired of carrying these 20 odd kilo carvings around .

Changing rooms in hotels also seems to create less problems here than back home . Even if they are booked up they will often move you into another as soon as someone moves out .

Lets just not go around trusting everyone in Thailand just yet , as there is also an equal amount of bad element out there .

Cheers ,

jim .

Popped down to the 7/11 YESTERDAY and bought a few things. Walking back to my condo some of my cash fell out of my pocket (I never carry a wallet). I carried on walking and a Thai man called me back to hand me back the money. Over a thousand baht! He could have kept it and I would have had no idea!