How to kick out the renter?

My wife rents out a house in Pattaya city.

The monthly rent is slightly below what other houses are being rented for in the area.

The tenant uses B 6000 worth of aircon power per month but won't pay her rent.

Presently she is B18000 behind.

We live in Isaan and have been down there 2 times already to see her about back rent, and she has paid, but again like this time, she won't answer any communication.

She has two small children and a husband in the USA, so my wife felt sorry for her, even though we know when we visited last time her excuses were lies.

We have had enough and want her out, and at the start of this month sent a registered letter to her saying she had to vacate by the start of next month, September.

We have a contract signed by her with passport and ID photos of her and her husband.

If she hasn't left, or won't leave when we go down to Patts on the 29th, what can we do?

Last time we locked the gates closed, so she couldn't get into the house and the rent money appeared.

I think if we go to the police, they will not do much as she has these 2 small kids.

We can lock the gates again and get PEA to disconnect the power, but her stuff will still be inside.

What to do?

Or a recommended lawyer to see?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gave a month notice so she could suck up another month's rent and another 6000 aircon.

Did your lease specify that long.......and did it specify, as it should, that deposit is not to be used for rent payments.?

ps if your wife wants to be kind hearted because of the kids she can pay a month's rental for a student type room, 3000pm

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

She has broken the rental lease agreement, and we could have asked her to leave before. We did not have to give her notice by registered mail.
She owes 1 months rent, B 18000, but she paid 2 months in advance plus the rent money for the first month when she moved in. She owes another B 18000 on the 7th of September.

We're just not sure what to do when we travel down there if she won't move.

None of our family in bangkok or pattaya really want to get involved (thanks a lot), and we live too far away to keep coming down to chase up rent.

She has broken the rental lease agreement, and we could have asked her to leave before. We did not have to give her notice by registered mail.
She owes 1 months rent, B 18000, but she paid 2 months in advance plus the rent money for the first month when she moved in. She owes another B 18000 on the 7th of September.

We're just not sure what to do when we travel down there if she won't move.

None of our family in bangkok or pattaya really want to get involved (thanks a lot), and we live too far away to keep coming down to chase up rent.

You have the keys? Hey presto.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Joys of landlording in Thailand.  Throwing young children into the street. Enjoy and sleep well sir

Being a land lord here is fantastic. Recently I shut down the electricity and water to get a piece of Arab shit out who stopped paying his rent.
I kept 2 months deposit and he was out.
Good luck with that aggressive solution in the West!!!

Joys of landlording in Thailand.  Throwing young children into the street. Enjoy and sleep well sir

Did u read the bit that there's a husband in America?
Reckon there's nothing coming for her and the kids?
That his details are on the lease so basically he can afford 18000pm rent for her.
That when the rubber met the road suddenly the rent appeared?
Think she might have simply not have used aircon, like a lot of us, to save money if it was tight.....unless she ought she'd never be paying it anyway?
Ever consider that maybe the money is essential to the OP that's why they went to aa cheaper area to live? Who knows the facts?

As a parent, if you bring young children into this world, you have a right and obligation to look after them.

We have/had the residence safe and clean to protect people from accidents while on the premises, it is not our job to look after the children's welfare, that is the responsibility of the Thai mother and American father.
But, we do or did feel for the children, that's why we're at this point now.

She does work selling clothes. When this happened last time, and we knocked on the door no one answered, but the washing machine had just spun a load.
We came back the next morning and waited for her to come out. She was a bit surprised and said she dropped her phone down the toilet...lost all our contacts, didn't know that our son had come down from Bangkok (never answered the door), but when the gate was locked, she magically rang my wife. Said he mother had paid the rent.....on and on, but as soon as we left to return to Isaan, the same.

We can lock the gates, and cut the water and electricity off.

Are there any recommended lawyers who may visit her with us, if she makes more excuses and doesn't want to go?

As a parent, if you bring young children into this world, you have a right and obligation to look after them.

We have/had the residence safe and clean to protect people from accidents while on the premises, it is not our job to look after the children's welfare, that is the responsibility of the Thai mother and American father.

But, we do or did feel for the children, that's why we're at this point now.

She does work selling clothes. When this happened last time, and we knocked on the door no one answered, but the washing machine had just spun a load.

We came back the next morning and waited for her to come out. She was a bit surprised and said she dropped her phone down the toilet...lost all our contacts, didn't know that our son had come down from Bangkok (never answered the door), but when the gate was locked, she magically rang my wife. Said he mother had paid the rent.....on and on, but as soon as we left to return to Isaan, the same.

We can lock the gates, and cut the water and electricity off.

Are there any recommended lawyers who may visit her with us, if she makes more excuses and doesn't want to go?

No need for any more explanations CArlyai......"the same poster on another thread suggested someone who. Has a most serious problem..... may be losing his home because of access go by helicopter.

Nothing better to do I guess.

My point is why would you put yourself in this position?

you could invest in stocks, bonds, gold, porkbellys, etc  no evicting kids into the street. I am highlighting the joys of real estate investment in Thailand. 

And no, I would not throw two kids out into the street for 18,000 baht. But I can afford to write off that amount. 

Sad situation but when you decided to rent to them, you must have thought it's a possibility , no?

4 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

And no, I would not throw two kids out into the street for 18,000 baht. But I can afford to write off that amount. 

What is your price threshhold for evicting a mother with two kids?  In the OP's example debt will accumulate at the rate of B18,000 per month.  Would you consider evicting at ten months (B180,000), or ... ?

I love being a landlord in Thailand. Finally i have as much rights as the ones who rent.

Now it is equal, who breaks the contract has to suffer the consequences.

Plain and simple.

If someone rents and has trouble paying TALK to the owner and find a solution. Not try to hide and only come up with an excuse or money when forced, then it is already to late.

In my contract missing a payment without contacting me first gets you a warning, next time you are out even if you show up too late with money.

Anybody can have some misfortune, two months deposit helps with that as the owner has some leeway, just communicate!

Edited by Khun Jean

I love being a landlord in Thailand. Finally i have as much rights as the ones who rent.
Now it is equal, who breaks the contract has to suffer the consequences.
Plain and simple.

If someone rents and has trouble paying TALK to the owner and find a solution. Not try to hide and only come up with an excuse or money when forced, then it is already to late.

In my contract missing a payment without contacting me first gets you a warning, next time you are out.

Yes that's the same with my contract. So, you say if they miss a payment they are out......my question is 'how would you do it?'

Lock the door with a padlock.

Wait till they get home.

Tell them to pack their stuff right away. (Mind you this is after warnings and after you tell them to pack their stuff at least a few days before!)

If not inform the police.

Police tells them to pack there stuff often within 1-2 days time.

Enter the room while police is there and make pictures. You do not want them to trash the place as a retaliation.

BTW, changing locks by the renter is a no-no. I respect privacy and always make appointments but if shit hits the fan i need access. Normally the condos office hold the spare keys.

edit.

I forget to mentioned that deactivating their keyfob to enter the condo is part of it as is shutting down the water supply. This only after it escalates and no agreement can be reached. No agreement is also when there is no contact.

Edited by Khun Jean

My point is why would you put yourself in this position?

you could invest in stocks, bonds, gold, porkbellys, etc  no evicting kids into the street. I am highlighting the joys of real estate investment in Thailand. 

Sad situation but when you decided to rent to them, you must have thought it's a possibility , no?
The final word from me to you on this subject: I was looking for suggestion on 'how'.

We bought the house over 20 years ago when we worked in Bangkok. We used to use it as our weekender. Cost a bit over B1000000 then.

When I worked at Laem Chabang and Chonburi we lived there. When I worked in Indonesia, China and Australia, we lived there.

When we retired we moved to our place in Isaan.

We are going to sell it, but now will not get what we want, so decided to rent it.

Happy?

Lock the door with a padlock.
Wait till they get home.
Tell them to pack their stuff right away. (Mind you this is after warnings and after you tell them to pack their stuff at least a few days before!)
If not inform the police.
Police tells them to pack there stuff often within 1-2 days time.
Enter the room while police is there and make pictures. You do not want them to trash the place as a retaliation.

BTW, changing locks by the renter is a no-no. I respect privacy and always make appointments but if shit hits the fan i need access. Normally the condos office hold the spare keys.

So you have done this, involving the police and that's what happened, or are you guessing?

Unfortunately had to do it a few times, also had to do with my "vetting" procedure. I now ask for salary slips to make sure they earn a regular salary, if not a higher deposit can offset that.

Did not do it personally as it is better done by a Thai. My wife takes care of that but with a bit of my guidance. She got tougher over the years because when you see the same bullshit a few times you will not take it anymore. Getting the police to do that takes some convincing. Ironically two out the four times (in seven years) i had to use the police the renter used the police to force me to give access. I always have all the documents and payment records with me when confronting people so the police just takes a quick look and told the renter to either pay within one day (not my preference, but a compromise) or take the two days to pack and leave.

If you didn't have the stomach for it you should've stayed out of the business Nad should've had a plan in place ling before your first squatter. Hire a couple hard hitting ladyboys  to go at her with pair of pliers and a blowtorch and be done with it. 

3 hours ago, Khun Jean said:

Unfortunately had to do it a few times, also had to do with my "vetting" procedure. I now ask for salary slips to make sure they earn a regular salary, if not a higher deposit can offset that.

Did not do it personally as it is better done by a Thai. My wife takes care of that but with a bit of my guidance. She got tougher over the years because when you see the same bullshit a few times you will not take it anymore. Getting the police to do that takes some convincing. Ironically two out the four times (in seven years) i had to use the police the renter used the police to force me to give access. I always have all the documents and payment records with me when confronting people so the police just takes a quick look and told the renter to either pay within one day (not my preference, but a compromise) or take the two days to pack and leave.

Frick!

four evictions in seven years. Sounds pretty sad. How many street kids did you make?

Do you have the Americans husbands details

If so try ringing him that you are at the point of eviction, which may shock him

I would definitely say that he must be sending ample money, but she could be spreading it around in to many places & there for stretching it on your side

If you didn't have the stomach for it you should've stayed out of the business Nad should've had a plan in place ling before your first squatter. Hire a couple hard hitting ladyboys  to go at her with pair of pliers and a blowtorch and be done with it. 

Given the buying price and the rate of return I'd be very happy to be in the OP's position and just look upon this as s bump in the road.

17 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Being a land lord here is fantastic. Recently I shut down the electricity and water to get a piece of Arab shit out who stopped paying his rent.
I kept 2 months deposit and he was out.
Good luck with that aggressive solution in the West!!!

Well, there's a big difference between your arab-shit and a mother with children...

48 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Do you have the Americans husbands details

If so try ringing him that you are at the point of eviction, which may shock him

I would definitely say that he must be sending ample money, but she could be spreading it around in to many places & there for stretching it on your side

Exactly. Try to contact this american & tell him to pay immediately directly to you! Since he also signed on your rental contract threat him with report for fraude, so wouldn't be able ever to get a new visa!

Good luck.

9 minutes ago, German farang said:

Well, there's a big difference between your arab-shit and a mother with children...

What's the big difference between two complete losers who don't pay rent? The Thai loser probably has more options as well. 

18 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

oh yeah, try getting a bad tenant out if your house in canada.

it can take months, if not a year to get someone evicted.

it aint just a thai thing

The way I see it, you've got 2 choices:

1. Evict her ASAP using whichever technique works best, tidy it up and find another tenant who is better than the one you just evicted. Hopefully it won't be vacant for long otherwise it's costing you 18k per month in lost income. It could be vacant for 6 months and then you're 108k down in lost rent.

2. Give her another chance but this time communicate with the husband in the US and see if he can pay the rent money directly to you rather than getting his wife to pay it from her allowance, some of which could also be used to support her Thai boyfriend.

I'd go option 2 if you can get the husband to make regular monthly rent payments directly into your Thai bank account.