How to kick out the renter?

18 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Being a land lord here is fantastic. Recently I shut down the electricity and water to get a piece of Arab shit out who stopped paying his rent.
I kept 2 months deposit and he was out.
Good luck with that aggressive solution in the West!!!

No losses to you so, why brag about out it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another side of the coin:

My retirement check ,( the larger one ) did NOT hit the bank the day it should.  I went to my landlord - I always paid my rent 5 days early -  told him I had a problem at the bank, his FIRST question to me was, " do you need money for food".  One and only time I was ever one day late.

Had a Brit friend, his problem lasted 3 months, every week the landlord loaned him 500bt for food.

He has been a landlord 30+ years and understands expats can sometimes have a problem.

1 hour ago, German farang said:

Well, there's a big difference between your arab-shit and a mother with children...

You bleeding hearts make me laugh, particularly when you don't know the circumstances. USA husband could be sending adequate funds and she might be out gambling it away, who knows. But in your opinion Carlyai has to carry the responsibility - ridiculous!

I had a tenant in UK (not so easy to chuck out), Mother and child, gave her 6 months grace on one occasion, got it all back. She had problems again with the trust fund set up to look after her daughter from where the rent came, so gave her grace again, having been promised it was the same scenario with the trust fund (it wasn't, she lied). They left with 12 months unpaid rent, £6,500 after bond deduction, move across the road into a rent free house, legacy of a deceased chap who she looked after / conned (not sure which). Daughters trust fund matured 4 years later to the tune of about £50,000 and I never saw a penny of it. Mothers comment - daughter not named on contract so not her problem, although the trust fund was set up for that purpose. NEVER AGAIN...

carlyai - lock her out and don't accept any payment to permit access. Take any offered payment for arrears but not for current rent, she broke the contract. Cut your losses and find a new tenant, or sell up.

Edited by Tofer
Add

32 minutes ago, AndyJo said:

So go ahead and be a goodhearted man and pay for these kids then

Well said, the bleeding hearts can set up a benevolent fund for her if they wish. Just pm carlyai with your contributions.

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

Another side of the coin:

My retirement check ,( the larger one ) did NOT hit the bank the day it should.  I went to my landlord - I always paid my rent 5 days early -  told him I had a problem at the bank, his FIRST question to me was, " do you need money for food".  One and only time I was ever one day late.

Had a Brit friend, his problem lasted 3 months, every week the landlord loaned him 500bt for food.

He has been a landlord 30+ years and understands expats can sometimes have a problem.

I helped a tenant out with some paid work, he ignored instructions and went for a short cut, ended up in hospital from his own stupidity (his words). Moved out 15 months later and immediately slapped me with a no win no fee suit (based on lies) for damages and took me for £18,000. 

Expensive lesson learned...

Another tenant tapped me on the doorstep for £20 for food, having already reassigned his housing benefit to another property. They pay 4 weeks in arrears in UK so you don't find out until after they've gone. Such integrity!

There's been much written about landlords 'responsibility'. I run a business not a charity or a social benefit fund, that's what I contribute considerable taxes to the government for, whilst providing for myself and family without any aid from said government.

Sorry to move off topic but you guys started it.

7 hours ago, wpcoe said:

What is your price threshhold for evicting a mother with two kids?  In the OP's example debt will accumulate at the rate of B18,000 per month.  Would you consider evicting at ten months (B180,000), or ... ?

I'm reminded of the anecdote about the philosopher who asked a beautiful woman if she would sleep with him for a million pounds. When she agreed, he offered her sixpence. She indignantly asked if he thought she was a whore. He responded that was already known, he was just trying to establish a price.

7 hours ago, carlyai said:

So you have done this, involving the police and that's what happened, or are you guessing?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

My wife tells me that in the apartments she used to rent, they would padlock the door with possessions inside until all debts were settled. No money, no roof over their heads, and no possessions returned. 

This is was quite some years ago, and I believe there are rules now, so I would take advice before taking any arbitrary action.

In UK you can be prosecuted for illegal eviction for locking somebody out or even withholding services, and the police have the authority to reinstate the tenant in the property if they have been illegally evicted. Count your blessing you're not in UK trying to sort this out. Good luck.

23 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Joys of landlording in Thailand.  Throwing young children into the street. Enjoy and sleep well sir

Please post your address here so she and her kids can stay at your place. After all, you clearly wouldn't turn down a woman in need.

Do you have the Americans husbands details
If so try ringing him that you are at the point of eviction, which may shock him
I would definitely say that he must be sending ample money, but she could be spreading it around in to many places & there for stretching it on your side
I have rung his phone but it just goes to call back message. I've left a message that we're kicking her out on the 30th but no response.

You bleeding hearts make me laugh, particularly when you don't know the circumstances. USA husband could be sending adequate funds and she might be out gambling it away, who knows. But in your opinion Carlyai has to carry the responsibility - ridiculous!

I had a tenant in UK (not so easy to chuck out), Mother and child, gave her 6 months grace on one occasion, got it all back. She had problems again with the trust fund set up to look after her daughter from where the rent came, so gave her grace again, having been promised it was the same scenario with the trust fund (it wasn't, she lied). They left with 12 months unpaid rent, £6,500 after bond deduction, move across the road into a rent free house, legacy of a deceased chap who she looked after / conned (not sure which). Daughters trust fund matured 4 years later to the tune of about £50,000 and I never saw a penny of it. Mothers comment - daughter not named on contract so not her problem, although the trust fund was set up for that purpose. NEVER AGAIN...

carlyai - lock her out and don't accept any payment to permit access. Take any offered payment for arrears but not for current rent, she broke the contract. Cut your losses and find a new tenant, or sell up.
We are going to sell as now pattaya has expanded and we were rezoned Pattaya city, some time ago. Just waiting for the condos in the street to be finished.
Probably in the next 5 years.

19 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

My point is why would you put yourself in this position?

you could invest in stocks, bonds, gold, porkbellys, etc  no evicting kids into the street. I am highlighting the joys of real estate investment in Thailand. 

And no, I would not throw two kids out into the street for 18,000 baht. But I can afford to write off that amount. 

Sad situation but when you decided to rent to them, you must have thought it's a possibility , no?

I guess if the lady can afford to pay the electric bill, she likely could find cheaper accommodation.

Even in Pattaya 18,000 baht is quite a lot of rent outside the tourist places.

It isn't the houseowners responsibility to subsidize the American guys family, it is sad but business.

I might be tempted to help her move elsewhere or back to her extended family.

I guess if the lady can afford to pay the electric bill, she likely could find cheaper accommodation.
Even in Pattaya 18,000 baht is quite a lot of rent outside the tourist places.

It isn't the houseowners responsibility to subsidize the American guys family, it is sad but business.
I might be tempted to help her move elsewhere or back to her extended family.

The rent in my area is B 20 to 25000 per month. The house is 20 min walk from walking street, 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, balconies, carport, fully furnished, 4 aircons.

How much would you expect to pay?

52 minutes ago, carlyai said:

The rent in my area is B 20 to 25000 per month. The house is 20 min walk from walking street, 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, balconies, carport, fully furnished, 4 aircons.

How much would you expect to pay?

I rented for 15,000 for some time and some thought I had paid too much.

Your place sounds up-market and central..... why should this woman need such, or even be within 20 minutes walk of Walking St? Sadly she has used up her good will and  deposit and would need to find it again.

Not paying the rent and at the same time running up 6000baht in utility charges?  She's a deadbeat, children or not.  If you're going to be a landlord you need to be firm and spell out your rent payment policy from Day 1. Make sure the tenant signs the policy and knows the ramifications for not paying the rent. 

In your case, I think you need to come down and spend a few days handling the situation once and for all.  Tell the tenant by letter and phone that you will be arriving on X date and she must move out on that date as you are moving in.  No exceptions or extensions.  If she shows up on the date, assist with her packing.   Change the locks on the doors and gate on that date and stay at the house.   If she doesn't show up, pack up her things yourself and put a notice on the gate and try to call her and tell her that she has until X date to come get her things. 

On 8/25/2017 at 0:55 AM, funandsuninbangkok said:

Joys of landlording in Thailand.  Throwing young children into the street. Enjoy and sleep well sir

The mother and her American father should be attacked, not the owner of the house who is not being paid!

4 minutes ago, chrissables said:

The mother and her American father should be attacked, not the owner of the house who is not being paid!

Agree.  Some people are just deadbeats.  Once she is kicked out of this house, she will find another place to rent and repeat the same pattern.  Last year we had to pack up a deadbeat tenant.  Small 1 bedroom condo and we filled about a dozen very large heavy-duty garbage bags, plus her suitcases, with all her expensive designer clothes and accessories, fancy beauty products, etc.--clearly she had plenty of money to spend on clothes, jewelry, and herself but, sorry!, none for the rent.  Recently, on another thread about condo owners not paying their maintenance fees, someone posted that maybe lowering the fees would help with delinquent owners paying their fees.  I doubt it.   Lowering the fee from say 40 baht a sqm to 30 baht a sqm isn't going to magically change a deadbeat's behavior.

this is common occurrence with the working class who can't pay rent on time or are in debt. Most land lords just lock the door, final warning lock the door until she comes, if she doesn't come after X amount of time, you can go in and clear her things out.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Not paying the rent and at the same time running up 6000baht in utility charges?  She's a deadbeat, children or not.  If you're going to be a landlord you need to be firm and spell out your rent payment policy from Day 1. Make sure the tenant signs the policy and knows the ramifications for not paying the rent. 

In your case, I think you need to come down and spend a few days handling the situation once and for all.  Tell the tenant by letter and phone that you will be arriving on X date and she must move out on that date as you are moving in.  No exceptions or extensions.  If she shows up on the date, assist with her packing.   Change the locks on the doors and gate on that date and stay at the house.   If she doesn't show up, pack up her things yourself and put a notice on the gate and try to call her and tell her that she has until X date to come get her things. 

Nice!  I can't imagine you have kids. If so, hard to believe you'd say this 

58 minutes ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

'Still waiting to hear you offer your assistance.

A man of your obvious virtue wouldn't hear about a sad case like this and just let the woman and kids be kicked to the curb, would you?

17 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Trust the elec is in the tenants name?
If not another lesson learned

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If the OP is complaining about the a/c bill Im assuming hes paying electricity.

So he can also cut it off , as well as the water.

Its my impression the tenant is getting money from her husband  , indeed , may even be saving  some money since she managed  to "find" the back rent last time.

Some people are just users . Running up huge a/c bills while feigning hardship indicates that.

Evict her without a second thought.

BTW. I wouldnt be giving her 'notice'. I'd be telling her that she should have the money owed on the day  and time you arrive or agin you will lock the house up. If and when she does pay , then tell her she is evicted. Then wait till shes gone.

Edited by zaZa9

1 hour ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Whether she has kids or not really isn't relevant.  If she bought a car and couldn't make the car payments, do you think the bank is going to ask if she has kids when they come and re-possess the car?  I think not.  Putting the best possible light on it, let's say that she is not blowing all her money each month on frivolities but simply doesn't have enough money coming in each month.  If she was a  responsible adult, she would not have rented a place to begin with that apparently is beyond her means to pay for on a regular basis.   Now, having moved in anyway and having realized that, indeed, she cannot pay the rent on her salary and financial support, if she was a responsible adult she would have been in immediate contact with the landlord to:   #1.  Inform the landlord of her financial situation.   #2.  Move out as quickly as possible so the landlord can find another tenant.  #3. Work out a plan with the landlord to repay what she owes on a payment schedule that she can afford.  

1 hour ago, Senechal said:

'Still waiting to hear you offer your assistance.

A man of your obvious virtue wouldn't hear about a sad case like this and just let the woman and kids be kicked to the curb, would you?

I'm not the guy who got himself into this mess. I refuse to be a landlord in Thailand. I suggest REITs offshore as a better vehicle. 

I do however give lots of money to charity. You?

Have all utilities cutoff. Lock the gates and put the house up for sale. No more problems. I've rented my home in Korat for 14 years and pay on time and my landlady loves me. No rent increases, so we get along just fine.

15 hours ago, carlyai said:

We are going to sell as now pattaya has expanded and we were rezoned Pattaya city, some time ago. Just waiting for the condos in the street to be finished.
Probably in the next 5 years.

Probably a wise move. It sounds from your previous posts that you could do without the hassle. Although 5 years is a long time to wait with an empty property and no rent!

Some of the best advice on here so far is to try contacting the USA husband to pay the rent directly to you. If he cares as much about his children, as some other posters on here do, he might just cough up to keep a roof over their heads.

Edited by Tofer
Add punctuation

On 8/25/2017 at 5:54 PM, funandsuninbangkok said:

Frick!

four evictions in seven years. Sounds pretty sad. How many street kids did you make?

My 'vetting process' got better and i prefer middle class Thai working couples. Before i targeted foreigners but that gave to many problems. In the lower price (for foreigner) range you get some weirdos, but for Thais the price range is middle class and you get people who are financially more stable as the rent is just a 10-20% of their income.

Having more then a dozen small condo's in Bangkok and having four evictions is better then i had expected for when we started this.  Also occupation is as good as 100%. So no complaints from me.