Dentalworld Chiang Man Dentist Review

gmeddy

It's now been 1 week since my 4 wisdom teeth removed at dental world Chiangmai. 
I can say that overall I'm very happy with the experience. 
I usually get pretty stressed out with just a filling being done, so I went to dental world specifically because they have laughing gas on offer. 

The laughing gas is an interesting story.

I had the nose-mask fitted and the gas 'turned on' right at the beginning before my dentist even gave me the first couple injections, but after a while when my gums were numb and I could tell he was about to start work, I told him that I was still not experiencing any effects from the gas. I wasn't feeling dreamy or floaty or anything. When I informed him of this, he said they would turn the gas up. 
In about 30 seconds I went completely unconscious and had some amazing trippy dreams, and then I was woken up to find I had a pulse meter attached to my finger and the dentist was looking at me asking me over and over again: "Are you ok?" 
At this point I felt amazing and gave him two thumbs up - I thought the whole procedure was over. 

However, he then asked "OK to start?" and started on the first tooth!
For the rest of the procedure I was fully aware of what was going on and I didn't feel like the gas was doing anything at all. No floaty feeling, and no dreams. 

However, I didn't feel too stressed out about it all and I had no pain at any point at all. 
So perhaps the gas was just taking the edge off the stress, but I was still very disappointed to not be dreaming the whole time like I had read would be the case. 

They charge ฿3000 for a simple tooth extraction, which means shallow roots and no drilling required (possibly no cutting of the gums either). 
I had 1 difficult impacted and 2 standard "difficult" teeth, and just one simple. 

I could feel the difference, the three difficult ones required quite a bit of drilling or cutting of the tooth, and several pulling/breaking sessions. (Afterwards he gave me a little bag full of my teeth, most of them were broken into 2 or 3 pieces, and the breaks looked smooth like they had been cut)

He left the simple one til last, which was removed with a couple very quick strong wiggle pulls and it was done without use of the drill/saw. 
All 4 teeth were out and I was getting my final X-ray within 1 hour from when I sat down in the chair. 

My mouth was full of blood for about 8 hours, I replaced the gauze every 2 hours.

It took probably at least 6 hours from the time of surgery until the numbness in my face was worn off.

I spent the first night with the gauze in until sometime in the early morning hours when I got up and removed them. My wife looked inside my mouth to check for more bleeding and gave me the all clear. 

I was surprised I didn't get pain or aching at any point. I was given one strong 24hr pain killer pill right before surgery started, and another one to take 24hrs later. And 5 more weaker ones to take every 6 hours after that. 

Swelling of my jaws was quite noticeable and I was nicknamed "Godfather" for a few days. 

I started chewing soft food for breakfast on the third day after surgery. I still never experienced any pain or aching. 
Day 4 and onwards I was eating normally but just having to take small bites because it was uncomfortable to open my mouth wide. 
Day 5 and the swelling was pretty much gone. 
I still never had any pain or aching even after I ran out of pain killers. 

I went back 7 days later to have the stitches removed and he told me everything looks good. 

So all in all, a very good experience. 
Total price about $850 AUD. 

Yeah its a good place, I went there for 3 surgical removals, chose just the local anesthetic plus 4 fillings a few days later with no anesthetic (take it like a man and have no numbness after the session, i had to tell them 3 times i was absolute sure i didnt want any), all went well and was eating the next day

Edited by Jdiddy

It's far from being unheard of. Normally done under general anesthesia and when none of the teeth (based on X-ray) is bound to be troublesome and cause a lot of post-op pain (weird roots etc.)

Disclaimer: my brother is a dentist :smile:

Yes, my wife had it done under GA when she was a teen, in Australia. And I've met a couple others who said all 4 at the same time is the way to go.

Only recently I spoke with a couple of Koreans who were shocked and said it was unheard of to get all 4 at the same time. So I guess it's just not so widely heard of...

I don't know what kind of sedation used but I had all 4 pulled at once when I was about 20 (US),  impacted 

and threatening to mess up my bite or become infected. All I remember was a little "rock and roll"  and crushing noises then waking up in back of car. Chipmunk face and a little pain about a week. Had to go back for a follow up to get the tooth pits checked and irrigated

Countries have different Medical standards and practices. Some based on dubious necessity. US doctors are shocked  for example that Japanese are subjected to chest x-rays at annual check-ups. X-rays are only given when medically necessary. There is no "safe" level of ionizing radiation. Get a small injury stitched in Thailand you will be prescribed automatically a large bag of antibiotics.  Not needed, possibly harmful.