Man with knife assaults two police officers outside Buckingham Palace

rooster59

Man with knife assaults two police officers outside Buckingham Palace

640x640 (1).jpg

A police officer stands at a cordon after police arrested a man carrying a knife outside Buckingham Palace in London, Britain, August 25, 2017. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

LONDON (Reuters) - A man with a "large knife" who assaulted two police officers outside Buckingham Palace on Friday night has been arrested, British police said.

The officers suffered minor injuries and were taken to a hospital for treatment. The man, who is in his mid-twenties according to the police, was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and assault on police near Queen Elizabeth's London residence.

No members of the royal family were present in the palace at the time. A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said she was unable to comment at this stage on the motivation for the incident.

Britain has been hit this year by four militant attacks in which 36 people were killed, and the country's threat level is at severe, meaning an attack is highly likely.

A Reuters witness near the scene said police had cordoned off a large area for security, including The Mall, a wide avenue leading up to the palace. Footage on Sky News showed emergency vehicles lining the street outside the palace.

"The man was stopped this evening, Friday 25 August at approximately 20:35 hours (1935 GMT) by officers at the Mall outside Buckingham Palace in possession of (a) knife," the police said in a statement.

"During the course of detaining him, two male police officers suffered minor injuries to their arm."

The suspect was taken to a London hospital for treatment of minor injuries, the police statement added. There were no other reported injuries.

The police said the suspect will be questioned by detectives and that it is too early to speculate further.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-26

24 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

The attacker was of Asian appearance ,wearing a suicide vest and shouting Allah Akbar , when asked the diversity division of the  Met Police said they were not sure if this was intended as a terrorist attack

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The police said the suspect will be questioned by detectives and that it is too early to speculate further.

:coffee1:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Asian appearance ,wearing a suicide vest and shouting Allah Akbar

Please where did you get that info from???

7 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

What were the soldiers (guards) doing - they should have shot him

This was at the front of Buck House,  the guard (Queens Guard/Queens Life Guard) are posted the other side of the railings some 20m from the railings and would have had to get out through I assume looked gates,  the area outside the gates is patrolled by the police, seems they did there job well even though two were hurt, no one was killed not even the assailant who will probably turn out to be a loner, a few samosa's short of a full picnic.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Although the guards at royal residences are fully trained soldiers who also see active service, when on guard duty their rifles are not loaded. 

However, there are armed police officers always in attendance, who would have used their weapons had it been necessary.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Please where did you get that info from???

This was at the front of Buck House,  the guard (Queens Guard/Queens Life Guard) are posted the other side of the railings some 20m from the railings and would have had to get out through I assume looked gates,  the area outside the gates is patrolled by the police, seems they did there job well even though two were hurt, no one was killed not even the assailant who will probably turn out to be a loner, a few samosa's short of a full picnic.  

read the full post ,it was sarcasm regarding our PC culture , you may have heard of it .

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Just reported ,it was a terrorist attack , you must be heartbroken .

All the initial reports stated the man had been arrested under the Terrorist Act, so hardly just reported!

Heartbroken? Yes, I am heartbroken that some people are so brainwashed and/or deluded that they believe terrorism is the way forward; whatever they see as their cause.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Just reported ,it was a terrorist attack , you must be heartbroken .

5 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

All the initial reports stated the man had been arrested under the Terrorist Act, so hardly just reported!

Heartbroken? Yes, I am heartbroken that some people are so brainwashed and/or deluded that they believe terrorism is the way forward; whatever they see as their cause.

The subject has been 'done to death' and there's no doubt that Islamist extremists are the latest terrorists/freedom fighters or whatever.....

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Although the guards at royal residences are fully trained soldiers who also see active service, when on guard duty their rifles are not loaded. 

However, there are armed police officers always in attendance, who would have used their weapons had it been necessary.

Wrong they are loaded and fully operational,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

has this always been policy or only recently?

Always as far as i can remember, weapons should be loaded but Not made ready.  All military camps generally have an armed guard.  They are protecting the Royal house hold and their boss.

On 8/26/2017 at 11:28 PM, simple1 said:

has this always been policy or only recently?

It was updated due to the threat from terrorists, But it has been enforced for a long while now, if you think about it no good having chocolate box soldiers guarding anything without bullets in their guns. Also there are marxmen on top of Buck house just like The white house, 

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

The soldiers on Guard are inside not outside on the Mall which is patrolled by civilian police officers, they carry weapons as part of their ceremonial duties and as such are not issued with live rounds
However the QRF inside the guard house will be dressed in "combats" instead of the ceremonial red tunic and will be fully armed and carrying live ammunition and would only be called upon in the event of a direct armed assault on the palace or its grounds
The area outside is the responsibility of the police armed or otherwise

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:47 AM, Thongkorn said:

It was updated due to the threat from terrorists, But it has been enforced for a long while now, if you think about it no good having chocolate box soldiers guarding anything without bullets in their guns. Also there are marxmen on top of Buck house just like The white house, 

The information I posted came from an ex Scots Guard; but as he retired from the army over 20 years ago it may very well be out of date. Especially with the current threat level.

However, armed police are always on duty around the palace, and they are responsible for incidents such as this which occur outside the palace grounds.

BTW, my ex Scots Guards acquaintance took part in the Battle of Mount Tumbledown in the Falklands War. Even though he is knocking on a bit now, you call him a 'chocolate box soldier' to his face at your peril!

On 8/29/2017 at 11:09 AM, 7by7 said:

The information I posted came from an ex Scots Guard; but as he retired from the army over 20 years ago it may very well be out of date. Especially with the current threat level.

However, armed police are always on duty around the palace, and they are responsible for incidents such as this which occur outside the palace grounds.

BTW, my ex Scots Guards acquaintance took part in the Battle of Mount Tumbledown in the Falklands War. Even though he is knocking on a bit now, you call him a 'chocolate box soldier' to his face at your peril!

I never called anyone, Being ex military myself.  Having been in the close protection for a number of years I know from experiance, There are more offical people that are armed  and wondering around London than you think,  all The Guards are Battle ready and able. and believe me they would shoot if they had too.

On 27/08/2017 at 0:55 AM, nausea said:

"A man arrested outside Buckingham Palace on Friday night was brandishing a 4ft sword as he repeatedly shouted "Allahu Akbar", police say." (BBC News)

Not sure of all the facts but from other reports including a statement from "Met" it was in his foot well, not easy to to unsheathe and brandish when you are sitting in the driving seat and the police smashing you windows, and pulling you out the car with or without opening the car door first...

• 9 months later...