MDF or HDF needed

Andrew Dwyer

I'm looking for some MDF or HDF ( or similar ) for some shelving inside some kitchen floor cabinets. 4 pieces 50 cm x 1 m ( 15, 18 or 20mm thick, not too important ) would do me fine.

A quick search through some old threads on TV led me to believe Thai Watsadu and Global House might stock it .

Hopefully they would cut a large sheet for me too .

Anyone have any up to date info on this as both stores are a bit of a drive. ( I'm in Ayutthaya )

Thanks in advance

You might consider a Thai speaker to telephone the Thai Watsadu or Global house prior to your drive to confirm they stock the product you want for your kitchen. They both certainly have mdf kitchens. I have not personally seen any employee of the Buriram Thai Watsadu or Buriram Global House ever cut a wood product for a customer.  Please post if either store offers to cut wood for a customer.  

I doubt that either will cut to order.  The only place that you might get it would be through someone that uses it often such as a cabinet maker or a metal fabricating shop that makes the Thai style food storage cabinets and uses it for shelving.

You might try a lumber yard.  The local yard that I buy lumber from would sell you the whole sheet, normally 120cm x 240cm or 4' x8', and then cut the sizes that you want and you take it all.

Edited by wayned

I doubt that either will cut to order.  The only place that you might get it would be through someone that uses it often such as a cabinet maker or a metal fabricating shop that makes the Thai style food storage cabinets and uses it for shelving.

You might try a lumber yard.  The local yard that I buy lumber from would sell you the whole sheet, normally 120cm x 240cm or 4' x8', and then cut the sizes that you want and you take it all.

Thanks Wayne, that was gonna be my next course of action .

So, I followed Wayne's advice.
Didn't get mdf as they only had some black coated stuff which in floor cabinets would be dark and dismal.
So got some 15mm plywood ( coat of varnish and it'll be smashing ) the guy cut it as much as I wanted for 50 Baht, couldn't ask for more.

The ply will probably be better than MDF anyway, more rigid and resistant to the bugs.

We use a lot of the rubber-wood sheet, 15mm thick it's made up of lots of rectangular blocks bonded together, comes in the same size as plywood. I've made table tops and some small kitchen accessories (a couple of utensil boxes and a condiment caddy). Works easily and looks like proper wood when treated with Chaindrite teak coloured wood stain.

Wifey likes the look, I enjoy doing the making and it's cheaper than buying kitchen stuff.

Next victim will be a box with a fitted draw for the doggie accessories.

• 1 month later...
On 29/08/2017 at 12:00 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

So, I followed Wayne's advice.
Didn't get mdf as they only had some black coated stuff which in floor cabinets would be dark and dismal.
So got some 15mm plywood ( coat of varnish and it'll be smashing ) the guy cut it as much as I wanted for 50 Baht, couldn't ask for more.

Black coated MDF is extremely unusual, there is a black coated plywood that is common but you should never use that indoors as it has a very high concentration of formaldehyde used in the glue. It is designed for use as concrete shuttering.