SIM Card not working

stevenl

I have a Wiko telephone, and in general am happy with it, but am now having a strnage issue.

It is a duo SIM phone, I have True and 12Call. The 12Call signal suddenly fell away everywhere. When that happened and I changed phones the 12Call SIM was working in another telephone with strong signal, so the problem must be in the telephone. But on the other hand, when that happened and I changed the SIM slots True kept working and 12Call was still not there, so it must be the SIM card and/or connection.

Got a replacement SIM card at AIS shop, and now at certain locations 12Call is not working, amongst those locations my home, so this is not really practical. The signal was always strong there, and is still strong in other telephones with the same SIM card.

I really don't know much about these things, but anybody here any idea? I can only think of buying another phone, maybe mine and 12Call are not very compatable anymore?

12 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

I had a "dead" SIM a couple months back. iPhone was displaying "no SIM card installed" Rubbed the SIM with alcohol using a pencil eraser, then let it dry, that fixed it.

Blasted the SIM slot with canned air also.

Thanks, the slots are really clean.

17 hours ago, stevenl said:

I have a Wiko telephone

Can you share any details? Like the exact model name and number?

Was there ever a time where both SIMs worked acceptably? And then at some point more recently you started experiencing an issue?

Can you try both SIMs in a different phone? When you tried the AIS SIM in another phone and "...was working in another telephone with strong signal." What was that other phone brand/make/model no.?

Could be an issue with the phone, the SIM, the location, the provisioning on the SIM.

Dual-SIM phones often need to be properly configured by slot, and may offer different network support by slot no. So the "lesser" slot may not support AIS networks which are nearby?

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you share any details? Like the exact model name and number?

Was there ever a time where both SIMs worked acceptably? And then at some point more recently you started experiencing an issue?

Can you try both SIMs in a different phone? When you tried the AIS SIM in another phone and "...was working in another telephone with strong signal." What was that other phone brand/make/model no.?

Could be an issue with the phone, the SIM, the location, the provisioning on the SIM.

Dual-SIM phones often need to be properly configured by slot, and may offer different network support by slot no. So the "lesser" slot may not support AIS networks which are nearby?

Both Sims were working fine for a year or so. Other phone was Lenovo, my wiko is a Robby.

Doesn't 1-2-call (AIS) utilize the 2400 MHz band?

(I could be wrong)

Due to a German website about Wiko Robby:

H+/3G+/3G WDCMA 900/1900/2100 MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

(first time I heard of this product)

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Doesn't 1-2-call (AIS) utilize the 2400 MHz band?

(I could be wrong)

Due to a German website about Wiko Robby:

(first time I heard of this product)

12Call was working for a year or so, and is at the moment still working. Just not everywhere, and at places where mine is nor working 12Call of others (and my SIM in another phone) is working.

I just don't get it.

PS: I think you may be on to something. Did AIS not recently start using some other network (TOT?) in places, could that be the reason?

Edited by stevenl

11 hours ago, stevenl said:

Both Sims were working fine for a year or so. Other phone was Lenovo, my wiko is a Robby.

So both SIMs worked fine in your Wiko Robby for a year or so, and then the AIS SIM stopped working sometime recently?

AIS has a roaming agreement with TOT for 3G/2100 MHz. I think AIS is using their own 900 MHz for 4G/LTE? And their 2100 MHz for 3G, at least in some areas.

Assuming your phone's "lesser slot" only supports 2G your only hope is roaming with TOT, or natively on AIS with the AIS SIM in the primary slot, hoping you have coverage.  

You might be better off with a TrueMove H SIM (with a different number)  in both slots; you can port your AIS number to TrueMove H, as they seem to work for you? Or get a newer phone which supports more of the Thai networks.

Your phone's specs:

2G bands    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bands    HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

So both SIMs worked fine in your Wiko Robby for a year or so, and then the AIS SIM stopped working sometime recently?

AIS has a roaming agreement with TOT for 3G/2100 MHz. I think AIS is using their own 900 MHz for 4G/LTE? And their 2100 MHz for 3G, at least in some areas.

Assuming your phone's "lesser slot" only supports 2G your only hope is roaming with TOT, or natively on AIS with the AIS SIM in the primary slot, hoping you have coverage.  

You might be better off with a TrueMove H SIM (with a different number)  in both slots; you can port your AIS number to TrueMove H, as they seem to work for you? Or get a newer phone which supports more of the Thai networks.

Your phone's specs:

2G bands    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bands    HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100

Thanks, but it looks you did not read all.

I already tried both slots, same result. The phone is quite recent. So your 'only 2G supported ' suggestion makes no sense and has been proven incorrect already. When all worked fine I recall I cot a note when roaming with TOT, don;t see that now, so the problem seems to be with the TOT connection.

But maybe I have to move the 12Call number to DTAC or True, that would solve the issues.

Edited by stevenl