A bit of visa advice please

Hi,

Newbie question, I had a quick shoof through but couldn't find anything that fits my question.

I entered Thailand (at Phuket) on a visa exempt stamp, I extended that at Patong beach immigration. I then decided to stay longer so nipped down (by air) to Penang and got a single entry 60 day tourist visa and re-entered Thailand at Phuket immigration. I have just recently extended that at Phuket immigration.

I still want to stay longer! Although I have a Thai wife I'm not wanting to load a Thai account with the necessary money (selling up stuff and waiting on those locked funds so might do later for a Non-O marriage), nor wait the 3 month qualifying period for same.

Can I continue to obtain tourist visas? Do I need a change of country (consulate) to grease the cogs?

What's the best/easiest way to continue ?

multi entry non immigrant 'O' visa is available from Savannakhet with no financials, wife doesn't have to be with you, overnight stay required plenty of threads on here.

you could get a 60 day visit wife extension instead of the 30 day extensions, wife does have to be with you.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Didn't know about the 60 day extension! Thanks for that.

Re the multi O from Savannakhet, do I have to show financials at the end of the first 90 days when extending/converting? As a multi, am I obliged to leave the country every 90 days?

Cheers

1 minute ago, pookett said:

Re the multi O from Savannakhet, do I have to show financials at the end of the first 90 days when extending/converting? As a multi, am I obliged to leave the country every 90 days?

A multiple entry non-o will allow unlimited 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue. You have to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry. You can apply for a 60 day extension of each entry. By getting a new entry just before the visa expires you can get almost 17 months of total stay by extending the last entry for 60 days.

No need for financials unless you decide to apply for a one year extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries. You would need 400k baht in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply.

A little more confusion regarding the marriage certificate.

We have a Britsh marriage certificate, during my read around it seems I need to somehow register said marriage in Thailand for an acceptable certificate/entry (sai kor) to be presented to the consulate for the visa application.

We rang the local ampur who said the British consulate had to prepare a legalised Thai copy, who in turn said the home office in the UK do it and then I need it stamped at the Thai consulate in the UK!

Sounds really cock-eyed to me, surely there is an easier way?

36 minutes ago, pookett said:

A little more confusion regarding the marriage certificate.

We have a Britsh marriage certificate, during my read around it seems I need to somehow register said marriage in Thailand for an acceptable certificate/entry (sai kor) to be presented to the consulate for the visa application.

We rang the local ampur who said the British consulate had to prepare a legalised Thai copy, who in turn said the home office in the UK do it and then I need it stamped at the Thai consulate in the UK!

To apply for a the non-o visa at an embassy or consulate they will accept your UK marriage certificate since it is in English.

The foreign marriage registration at an Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 foreign marriage registry is only needed to apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration.

There is a lot more to getting your marriage certificate legalized than going to the UK embassy. Info is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/461071/Legalising_a_signature_or_seal_final_Sept_15.pdf

That is also only the first step. After getting it legalized it will need to be translated to Thai and the translation certified by the department of consular affairs of the MFA.

Thank you once again.  The Thai consulate in Savannakhet will accept the UK certificate on a multi non-im O (based on marriage), excellent.

Then the British Embassy in BKK was correct in what they said but gave me the wrong link that confused me.

Thanks for the correct one, laborious but makes sense at least. Now I'm pre-armed with all that I can allow plenty of time when the need arises on the horizon.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd give this thread a suitable ending after receiving such accurate information here and in other threads.

Savannakhet multi O (based on marraige) done. Very straight forward and painless. As I went by air I had to stay in S for a few days (arrival day, application day, pick up day, departure day). On first sight I thought I might get bored but actually found it quite pleasant. Good food, very friendly people, interesting watering holes and some great shops that had stuff I'm yet to find on Phuket so came back with a bagful!

Thanks again.