Found Abandoned kitten ,,need advice/help

Ryder88

here in Chiang Mai...walking home late last night saw a very small kitten near my home ..1am..alone in the MIDDLE  of the street.wound on neck ,no mother around .about 8 weeks old, she was crying and scared to death, shaking, undernourished . I looked like hell for the mother or where she  could've came from. Not  a clue I couldn't leave her there. So I took her in..gave her some milk . gave her a towel to sleep in...Now i know what you are thinking the mother was out there some where..I dont think so ..my security guard found a similar  very sick undernourished kitten earlier in the evening not more than 30 meters where I found this one later the same night. Now I have her here ...I have to fly to London next week I cant take her NOT A CHANCE  ,,I spoke to  the Thais in my building WOMEN ,GIRLS , MANAGEMENT OLDER THAI MEN..ETC .... their advice.... throw it in the street !  Disgusting she'd be dead in 24 hrs. Shes tiny , fit in the palm of your hand ...driving me crazy FOLLOWS ME EVERYWHERE She's adorable I mean she's a kitten! ..I bought some kitten food, but i got to take her to vet..

Can anyone guide me what I can possibly do. i cant just abandon her ..First Does anyone know a veterinarian in Chiang Mai

Is their a shelter ?  Something ?I can't have her euthanized I wont kill a kitten for crying out loud!  Anyone here in CM that would take her? I'll even buy food , kitty litter and take her to the vet...Really would appreciate any advice....again I've been asking the neighbors about it ..nothing.

10 hours ago, Ryder88 said:

Yes thankyou ...I just saw them online...I wrote them and said i would GLADLY  give them a generous donation

Speak to Fohn at Santisook Cat Shelter Doi Saket 081-638-2105.  She is burdened now with so many to take care of that she has had to refuse further adoptions except for neuter and return.  However, considering your departure to London next week she may be able to make an exception.  Yes, please make a donation.  Appreciate your concern.

1 hour ago, OneZero said:

Speak to Fohn at Santisook Cat Shelter Doi Saket 081-638-2105.  She is burdened now with so many to take care of that she has had to refuse further adoptions except for neuter and return.  However, considering your departure to London next week she may be able to make an exception.  Yes, please make a donation.  Appreciate your concern.

Sorry, didn't see an edit button.  

I would like to point out for readers that the good folks like Fohn who care for unfortunate cats & dogs do not incur just the costs of living space, cleaning time, medicines & food.  To properly care for the health of all the animals, new residents must be first tested for contagious diseases such as Distemper, Feline leukemia, Feline HIV, Rabies etc etc so that they are properly isolated with those having like problems.  If this were not done all the cats would be susceptible to whatever problems a new resident brought with them.

Edit: Plus the timet & cost of neutering.  If new residents are not neutered you can only imagine the result.  Uncontrollable over population.

PS. none of the time & costs are funded by government organizations here.  A sorry situation that in Thailand there is insufficient government participation in the problem of over population of homeless animals.

Edited by OneZero

I would take the kitten myself only I have 2 dogs that are not kitten friendly.

There are problems with homing stray animals in Chiang Mai. Thailand is not an animal loving nation and most Thais won`t be interested. The majority of the Farlang communities in Chiang Mai are like the OP, don`t stay permanently and always on the move or only here short time. Elderly people retirees maybe reluctant to take on a dog or a cat because these animals could outlive them, considering dogs and cats can live up to 15 years or more. My mother`s cat reached to 24 years of age.

I`ve seen many puppies and kittens around where I live in desperate need of homes, but I had to ignore them and look the other way although it breaks my heart being an animal lover.

The only advice I can give is that the OP asks some of his Thai neighbours if they would take the kitten off his hands and if one of the them takes the cat, then hope for the best.

On 9/2/2017 at 9:50 AM, OneZero said:

Sorry, didn't see an edit button.  

I would like to point out for readers that the good folks like Fohn who care for unfortunate cats & dogs do not incur just the costs of living space, cleaning time, medicines & food.  To properly care for the health of all the animals, new residents must be first tested for contagious diseases such as Distemper, Feline leukemia, Feline HIV, Rabies etc etc so that they are properly isolated with those having like problems.  If this were not done all the cats would be susceptible to whatever problems a new resident brought with them.

Edit: Plus the timet & cost of neutering.  If new residents are not neutered you can only imagine the result.  Uncontrollable over population.

PS. none of the time & costs are funded by government organizations here.  A sorry situation that in Thailand there is insufficient government participation in the problem of over population of homeless animals.

I'm doing well thanks to Fohn at Santisook cat shelter in Doi Saket.  Thank you everybody for giving me a life.

43010.jpg

43007.jpg

Take the kitten to the Animal Control Department.They will give you info about taking care of it until be ready for sterilization. Will take a couple months. After sterilization you probably already are in love with this "baby" but you also can look for somebody for adoption or leave it on a temple. Cats are very independent animals and also very clean, learning to stay safe on any environment,  and found or hunt for food without human help.

Edited by Muzarella

As a cat lover I am pleased to read all the concerned answers to Ryder88's problem.

We have now three cats. One like Ryder's, found next to a garbage bin. Too thin to survive, that's what I thought, but she grew up to be a beautiful kitten. The other one was a little bigger. She had been over run by a car, unconscious but no injuries. Number three is a young female due to deliver within days. Her tummy is so big, she can hardly walk. So soon we will have around 7 - 10 cats. Anybody interested to adopt one or two ? We live near Korat. PM me please.

On 9/1/2017 at 10:29 PM, Ryder88 said:

Yes thankyou ...I just saw them online...I wrote them and said i would GLADLY  give them a generous donation

I appreciate your problem but unfortunately you are too far away to offer any constructive help. I know a couple of places in this area as well as ourselves that take in distressed cats. My wife and her sister have over 40 now on the go.

Good luck on a positive outcome.

On 9/4/2017 at 8:03 PM, Muzarella said:

Take the kitten to the Animal Control Department.They will give you info about taking care of it until be ready for sterilization. Will take a couple months. After sterilization you probably already are in love with this "baby" but you also can look for somebody for adoption or leave it on a temple. Cats are very independent animals and also very clean, learning to stay safe on any environment,  and found or hunt for food without human help.

Please never say 'leave it on/at a temple'  and cats have a terrible time 'hunting' as you suggest unless born feral.  Bad advice and keep it to yourself.  

Good on the poster and thanks for caring... good karma coming your way.

The Chiangmai University Animal Hospital is a wonderful place. Its doctors and staff are fantastic, highly dedicated. The facilities are first class. It is not exactly cheap but worth the money.

It is located on Canal Road, just past the north-western corner of the Canal Road/Suthep Road intersection (meaning going north).

One more thing: you should never ever give milk to a cat! The animal does not have the enzymes to digest the milk.

Forgot to mention that the Hospital accepts only small animals. You can't take your horse there! 

Edited by peergin
Added information.

The Chiangmai University Animal Hospital is a wonderful place. Its doctors and staff are fantastic, highly dedicated. The facilities are first class. It is not exactly cheap but worth the money.
It is located on Canal Road, just past the north-western corner of the Canal Road/Suthep Road intersection (meaning going north).

One more thing: you should never ever give milk to a cat! The animal does not have the enzymes to digest the milk.

Forgot to mention that the Hospital accepts only small animals. You can't take your horse there! 
They wouldn't give my pug his vaccines because he had a wet nose. 18 months later, he's still got a wet nose, but we have found a less useless surgery so he has all his jabs done.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

• 3 weeks later...

Message from Angel:

Ryderr88,  Thank you for taking me to Fon at Santisook Cat Rescue Foundation in Doi Saket.

P Fon,  Thank you for caring for me to ensure my health.

My new owner (see picture),  Thank you for adopting me.  You have my unconditional love.

Readers,  Thank you for your interest & concern.

Angel

Angel Healthy Now.jpg

Angel.jpg

Angel Adopted & Happy New Mom.jpg