Citibank Greed

Please note Nationwide do NOT do Swift/Wire/Telegraphic Transfers abroad so its not a good place to save when permanently living abroad. To quote them 'We are only a Building Society and not a Bank'

This is just plain wrong. I have transferred money from my Nationwide account to my Thai bank accounts using SWIFT on several occasions. Generally Nationwide prefers that you send your SWIFT instruction through the post. However, by prior agreement, they'll also accept faxed instructions.

In fact Dave the Dude is right. Nationwide is a Building Society so do not make international transfers.

What they do is instruct their bankers usually HSBC to do this.

So both of you are right !!

Hi ALL

I must hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. SORRY I was told by cashier in a Nationwide branch the above info, but have since checked thier website which confirms they CAN DO T/F'S TO THAILAND by downloading form and then posting it to UK. Interesting comment re faxed instructions.I will be going into Eastbourne Branch to open account tommorrow and will see wot they say about FAXED INSTRUCTIONS. :o

p.s. Prehaps this is not a good time to admit to being an ex-Bank Manager. (until I realised there was a better future in plumbing than finance!)

When you go to the branch ask them about Nationwide offshore account, then you can internet move your money from the flexaccount to the offshore account and then phone bank to the offshore account to transfer the money to Toyland, maybe?

Please note Nationwide do NOT do Swift/Wire/Telegraphic Transfers abroad so its not a good place to save when permanently living abroad. To quote them 'We are only a Building Society and not a Bank'

This is just plain wrong. I have transferred money from my Nationwide account to my Thai bank accounts using SWIFT on several occasions. Generally Nationwide prefers that you send your SWIFT instruction through the post. However, by prior agreement, they'll also accept faxed instructions.

In fact Dave the Dude is right. Nationwide is a Building Society so do not make international transfers.

What they do is instruct their bankers usually HSBC to do this.

So both of you are right !!

Hi ALL

I must hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. SORRY I was told by cashier in a Nationwide branch the above info, but have since checked thier website which confirms they CAN DO T/F'S TO THAILAND by downloading form and then posting it to UK. Interesting comment re faxed instructions.I will be going into Eastbourne Branch to open account tommorrow and will see wot they say about FAXED INSTRUCTIONS. :o

p.s. Prehaps this is not a good time to admit to being an ex-Bank Manager. (until I realised there was a better future in plumbing than finance!)

When you go to the branch ask them about Nationwide offshore account, then you can internet move your money from the flexaccount to the offshore account and then phone bank to the offshore account to transfer the money to Toyland, maybe?

You can use the internet to move money from the Nationwide Offshore account to previously specified foreign bank accounts. Cost is £20 if you know their SWIFT code/IBAN number, £28 if you don't.

The exchange rate is good for wire transfer. Check the Bangkok Bank rates and the TT is what you get when you send dollars and have the conversion take place in Thailand. If you have exchange take place outside of Thailand and send baht, yes, the exchange rate will be really bad.

I have my US bank make an electronic transfer, which I can originate on the Internet, to the Bangkok Bank branch in New York. As far as my bank is concerned, it's a domestic transfer since Bangkok Bank in NY has the transfer codes used by US banks.

It's available in my Bangkok Bank account in Pattaya usually within 24 hours. Very low charges. Exchange rates have been so bad and so volatile recently it's hard to tell how they compare with other methods. When things were more stable, the rates were the same as those currently available in Thailand.