Utah nurse claims police assault after she refused patient blood sample

rooster59

12 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:
18 minutes ago, impulse said:

Why should the taxpayers be out $$ millions? 

Why should a woman doing her job in accordance with the law and the agreed protocols of the police department and the hospital be arrested?  By fining the tax payer millions it helps ensure that the tax payer does not employ bozo's like the police man in question. Just like we fine corporations for errors they make, in this case the tax payer is the 'shareholder' that pays the penalty for the errors of those it employs.

I just have a fundamental problem with some guy who bags groceries for a living (and consequently pays taxes) paying for the poor hiring choices where he has absolutely no input.

It's easy to hope for a big payout.  But that money comes from somewhere.  What other services are going to be curtailed because the money isn't there any more?

It would be more effective to fire the guy, and the superior who told him to go ahead.  That sends a stronger message than some budget money.

Edited by impulse

I'd like to see the video footage of the entire episode before I make judgement, did he arrest her for not taking the blood or did she get unruly and in his face??  We will never know.  Her shouting "Someone help he, You are assaulting me"  leads me to believe she set this in motion  -  I mean, who actually yells out  "You are assaulting me??"   The cop shouldn't be fired, he needs re-training,and more time on the beat.

27 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I'd like to see the video footage of the entire episode before I make judgement, did he arrest her for not taking the blood or did she get unruly and in his face??  We will never know.  Her shouting "Someone help he, You are assaulting me"  leads me to believe she set this in motion  -  I mean, who actually yells out  "You are assaulting me??"   The cop shouldn't be fired, he needs re-training,and more time on the beat.

You want to see more footage before making a judgement, 2 lines later you have made that judgement.

It doesn't really matter what happened exactly btw, the cop had no legal cause for being there.

Edited by stevenl

11 hours ago, impulse said:

I just have a fundamental problem with some guy who bags groceries for a living (and consequently pays taxes) paying for the poor hiring choices where he has absolutely no input.

It's easy to hope for a big payout.  But that money comes from somewhere.  What other services are going to be curtailed because the money isn't there any more?

It would be more effective to fire the guy, and the superior who told him to go ahead.  That sends a stronger message than some budget money.

Doesn't voting (responsibly etc etc) give the citizens of the US input into how the country is run, and by whom?

Yes... the guy seems to require firing, as his behavior appears unacceptable from a person entrusted with the safe keeping of others.

but as to effectiveness... a debatable position.

For example....Award the woman 1 mill USD.... the police department look like <deleted>... the police loose out on public opinion... the police chief implements new policy to rein in this ( and other) form of abuse of power... rogue officers get fired....the public (taxpayer) are therefore better off... the police system is revamped as a better force, all for the cost of 1 mill.... and the system is seen to be working ( government of the people by the people)

alternatively, fire the occasional transgressors caught on camera, but otherwise let a broken system limp ever forward towards becoming unaccountable to the public.

like I said... a debatable position

4 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

.???

if he doesn't know his job, and the law, by now, I doubt retraining will assist.... now, if he were a young buck, perhaps I could agree... but.... 

IMG_4584.PNG

I don't even get why this is being debated. The nurse was assaulted by an over zealous ignorant policeman. Nurses and Doctors already face violence and assault from patients who are brought in drunk/on drugs/mental and now they face violence and assault from policemen who bring those patients in also.!! The cop was WRONG in extremis, sack him, remove any privileges and lets all move on. For the member who wants to see the full video before commenting then why don't you simply watch it. The nurse was polite, she was showing the policeman the print out of the rules and regulations. The policeman was a disgrace. Next.................

5 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Posted on this thresd 4 hours before your query.

:coffee1:

On 9/2/2017 at 0:50 PM, Briggsy said:

It has been discussed over and over. Sections of the U.S. police, a highly diverse body, have become militarised. They see everybody as an enemy and default to extreme actions / force inappropriately and unnecessarily. An 'us and them' mentality has taken hold rather than the police as an integral part of society. There needs to be cultural change from the top.

I am not anti-police. I understand they have a difficult job. This is another instance of the officer losing control and acting wrongly. His further employment as an officer needs to be reviewed.

very disturbing video, it seems to me that Americans allow too much power to Police.

I like to think that in my country, this thug would be surrounded by the other hospital workers, and not allowed to put his dirty hands on the poor woman.

nothing short of a kidnapping, i hope he gets was he deserves.

26 minutes ago, iReason said:

Posted on this thresd 4 hours before your query.

I want to see the footage before this one started, before she started reading the paper  -  she was resisting arrest, she should have gone peacefully, and she didn't.   She also had a syringe in her hand, could have been used as a weapon.  I read where she hasn't been charged, doesn't mean she will NOT be charged for resisting arrest.......the officer is on administrative leave until the investigation is over - we shall see.  In the meantine the ambulance chasing lawyers will be strpping all over each other to get her to sue the Police Department, who will settle out of court, then the lawyers will get rich, not the lady.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I want to see the footage before this one started, before she started reading the paper  -  she was resisting arrest, she should have gone peacefully, and she didn't.  

She also had a syringe in her hand, could have been used as a weapon.  

I read where she hasn't been charged, doesn't mean she will NOT be charged for resisting arrest.......the officer is on administrative leave until the investigation is over - we shall see.  

In the meantine the ambulance chasing lawyers will be strpping all over each other to get her to sue the Police Department, who will settle out of court, then the lawyers will get rich, not the lady.

Hyperbolic, hysterical gibberish.

And you are feebly attempting to defend an official who Under Color of Authority,

was violating the law.

Edited by iReason

I’ve watched a 25 minute version of the video and a few things pop up.  My take.

Early on, The detective tells another cop that his watch commander has told him if the nurse doesn’t let him get the sample, she will be arrested.  He says he has seen this type of thing before, but not taken to this level.

The nurse is talking with her supervisor on speakerphone with the cop right there.  The nurse shows the cop the policy that lists three exceptions to the prohibition of drawing blood from an unconscious individual, and none of them apply. The supervisor on the phone asks the cop why is he going to arrest the nurse.  The cop replies because she is the one telling me no.  The supervisor then tells the detective, twice, “you’re making a big mistake.”  At that point, he arrests the nurse.  He appears to be angry at the nurse’s supervisor who he feels is stonewalling him.  After she is in the car, he takes her phone and tells her supervisor that she is in the car and they will be going to the command watch center.  This appears to me to be payback to the nurse’s supervisor, with the nurse being a pawn.

Another cop talks with the nurse while she is in the car.  He explains that the hospital policy is against the law.  He says something like “your policy conflicts with my law.”  It looks like he was wrong, though, that the law had changed and the policy the nurse showed him was in accordance with the law, and that the detective and his watch commander are totally in the wrong.

The police PR people now have a nightmare on their hands.  Not only does the cop look bad, but so does the watch commander, and by extension the entire police department. The nurse now has an attorney representing her and the cop is keeping his mouth shut.  Though she seems like a person who just want to do her job and is not in it for the money, I, too, hope that she sues the PD and pockets a fortune.  

Again, just my take. 

I think the whole issue can be resolved by getting a full evaluation of the officer, starting with a physical.   Take him back to the hospital, make sure the nurse is on duty and request a complete physical.   

All scores will be settled.    

UPDATE:

Utah cop who arrested nurse over blood draw fired from second job

tag-reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Nurse Alex Wubbels is shown during an incident at University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S., in this still photo taken from police body-worn camera video taken July 26, 2017 and provided September 1, 2017. Courtesy Salt Lake City Police Department/Handout via REUTERS

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1000476-utah-cop-who-arrested-nurse-over-blood-draw-fired-from-second-job/