President Donald Trump has threatened to bomb Oman, a US ally, if it “gets in the way” of American negotiations with Iran, according to Fox News.
The United States and Oman have been holding separate discussions with Tehran about reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a key shipping route for global oil and liquefied natural gas. The strait has been largely closed for nearly six months amid conflict between the US and Iran.
Threat Made During a Phone Interview
Fox News reported that Trump made the threat during a phone interview. A Fox correspondent said the US president also used an expletive during the call when responding to questions about Oman’s role.
In the same period, Iranian officials said they were close to finalising a deal with Oman for shipping to pass through the strait. At the same time, the future of US-Iran talks remained uncertain as a 60-day Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Washington and Tehran is due to expire.
Trump was asked by BBC News in the Oval Office on Monday whether he was seeking an extension to the MoU. He replied: “No.”
Strait Of Hormuz Reopening Talks Continue
The Strait of Hormuz borders Iran and Oman and carries about a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas under normal conditions. Iranian actions that followed earlier attacks between the two sides have largely halted transit, with reopening described by both Washington and Tehran as a central issue.
Oman has described itself as neutral in the conflict, while it has also suffered strikes from Iran. The sultanate is nevertheless seeking to mediate between Iran and others in efforts to restart shipping through the waterway.
Earlier in the week, the Iranian foreign ministry said it had reached an understanding with Oman on a transit route. Esmaeil Baghaei, a foreign ministry spokesman, told reporters that both sides would finalise details before issuing a joint statement. Oman has previously described its talks with Iran as positive.
For Washington, Reuters reported earlier, citing an Iranian official, that Tehran was seeking fees from vessels transiting the strait, at between 5% and 7% of cargo prices. Separately, earlier this month, Iran’s foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, said a full reopening would depend on Iran receiving compensation from the US for what Tehran described as violations of the MoU.
IRGC Backchannel Claim Denied
Fox reported that Trump also said he had a direct backchannel with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), which plays a major military, economic and political role in Iran. An IRGC spokesman denied the claim.
The spokesman told semi-official Iranian news agency Tasnim that there were no talks between IRGC officials and Americans. He said Trump’s allegation was a product of “fantasies” driven by defeat and desperation, according to the report.
MoU Expires As Trump Says He’s Not Rushed
The MoU between the US and Iran, signed on 18 June, was intended to bring about a ceasefire and at least partially reopen the Strait of Hormuz. It broke down soon after, when both sides resumed strikes.
On 8 July, Trump said the ceasefire was over and criticised Iran’s leadership after further exchanges of fire. As the MoU approached formal expiry on Monday, he posted on his Truth Social platform that the “number one goal” was to ensure Iran could not obtain a nuclear weapon.
During the Fox interview, Trump also suggested he was not planning an immediate push for an end to the conflict, saying of Iranian leaders: “They’re good poker players, but they’re dying,” and adding that he had “no time schedule” and was “not in a hurry”.

18 August 2026
Recommended Comments
Create an account or sign in to comment