Something I'm Really Proud Of;

Nienke

Approximately 5 years ago, there was the dreadful news in papers and on television of 3 year old that was mauled to death by the owner's own dog. This horrible incident gave me the idea to start an educational program for children about how to propely care for and interact with dogs.

After five years of writing this program full with joy and frustration, as I'm not a professional teacher for children, I contacted Karin and Sarah of Care for Dogs and asked them if they would be interested. Well, they certainly were. They brought me in contact with their educational coordinator, Soraya, who is a professional teacher. Soraya filled in the gaps where I lacked the skills and together we finished what now is called:

"Professor Paws - Humane education: Living safely with dogs."

The lessons will help children become familiar with a dog’s physical appearance, to learn his body language to prevent bites, and to identify his needs. It will also bring to light the consequences of over-population, neglect and abuse and allow the children to take action, while promoting English speaking skills.

Our pilot project was the American Pacific International Kindergarten, where we taught the program to a class of 6 years old. Our next project will be at the Anubahn Chiang Mai, where our lessons will be part of the health classes for the 6th graders. And most probably, as part of the Chiang Mai Friends Group we will start teaching at several other Thai schools.

For this we need volunteers, btw. So, if you are interested please pm me.

Here some pictures taken at the APIK:

post-27646-1209808049_thumb.jpg post-27646-1209808154_thumb.jpg post-27646-1209808227_thumb.jpg

post-27646-1209808250_thumb.jpg post-27646-1209808432_thumb.jpg post-27646-1209808462_thumb.jpg

The Professor Paws lesson program can be adapted to any age class, including adults.

edit// clicked the wrong button. Was not finished yet.

Excellent idea. It seems the norm, at least where i live, to teach children that unknown dogs are to be feared, and chased off. Too many times have I heard an adult say to a child "don't touch that dog, it will bite you" even when they know the dog is not aggressive.

This perpetuates fearful behavior in adults. I cannot count how many adults (men and women, but women seem more fearful) who have come into our place, looked at my lazing dogs and said in a very fearful tone "Will they bite?" Even when the dog sees the person and pays them no mind.

So, if you can make a start to teach kids to respect and enjoy dogs then perhaps this culture of fear can eventually be broken. If it works out, take it on the road, come on down and visit my island :o

Nicely done Nienke. :o

I also get the same question as sbk when I get visitors - "does he bite?". Though in my case it's understandable because he is a big Golden and makes a ruckus when they approach. But as soon as I approach the visitors, he's all 'pet me, pet me' as he precedes to sniff their crotch. :D

Thank you all for your kind words.

I would like to emphasize though that Professor Paws has not been designed by me alone, but by both Soraya and me. Without Soraya excellent pedagogical background (both for the design and for the teaching itself), this progam would still have been in the drawers.

Professor Paws itself is a co-operation between LuckyDogs and Care for Dogs.

Nienke (who never could imagine that she actually would going to like to teach :o)

Thank you all for your kind words.

I would like to emphasize though that Professor Paws has not been designed by me alone, but by both Soraya and me. Without Soraya excellent pedagogical background (both for the design and for the teaching itself), this progam would still have been in the drawers.

Professor Paws itself is a co-operation between LuckyDogs and Care for Dogs.

Nienke (who never could imagine that she actually would going to like to teach :o)

Nienke,

When I saw this cartoon I immediately thought of you........ :D

I'll buy you a drink next Saturday.

BB

post-24617-1209979509_thumb.jpg

Congratulations, great idea, great program!

Having dogs as well as small children I am aware of the problem. Both my daughter and I got bitten by a Saint Bernard last year in our moo baan. I was walking down the soi with my daughter when the dog came charging out of its compound and ripped my shorts to shreds, classical postman style. :o It turned out that it was an overly protective female with puppies. The owner forgot to close the gates.

May I recommend to contact the German school in Saraphee: Mr. Matthias Wolf (principal) at +66 (0) 53 816 624, www.cdscm.org. They may be interested in such a program.

Cheers, CMX

Congratulations, great idea, great program!

Having dogs as well as small children I am aware of the problem. Both my daughter and I got bitten by a Saint Bernard last year in our moo baan. I was walking down the soi with my daughter when the dog came charging out of its compound and ripped my shorts to shreds, classical postman style. :o It turned out that it was an overly protective female with puppies. The owner forgot to close the gates.

May I recommend to contact the German school in Saraphee: Mr. Matthias Wolf (principal) at +66 (0) 53 816 624, www.cdscm.org. They may be interested in such a program.

Cheers, CMX

Thank you, CMX, for your kind words and the contact details of Herr Matthias!

I hope you and especially your daughter have fully recovered of this horrible experience with the St. Bernard.

Nienke