Recommended Health Insurance Fpr Expats?

khun_j

hi,

i´ll be moving to bkk (from germany) next month with my family and am now comparing various health insurance companies for health insurances.

i saw here an ad of "goodhealth" (uk) - can someone tell me anything positive / negative about this company and/or make other recommendations?

thanks a lot in advance!

khun_j

• 2 weeks later...
hi,

i´ll be moving to bkk (from germany) next month with my family and am now comparing various health insurance companies for health insurances.

i saw here an ad of "goodhealth" (uk) - can someone tell me anything positive / negative about this company and/or make other recommendations?

thanks a lot in advance!

khun_j

I just did a tonsilectomy (removed tonsils) in BNH, but after sending all the papers to Goodhealth they refuse to pay me back. They say that the Doctor at BNH has told them that I have had this problem before and so they will not cover for the surgery. The thing is that I have never been to BNH before about this problem... So now I don't know what to do. Goodhealth has since stopped replying to my emails...

I would not recommend.

"Thai Life" or "AIA" IMO they are okay if you live here really. They'll send you first for a check in a hospital about HIV/AIDS or sugar... and you'll need maybe one year extension or something like that (residence permit in my case). The first 4 months (for sickness only so by AIA) they'll not pay if you're sick. They want to be sure you are not really sick before. All the contract papers are writing in Thai script also your name on the card's. So this is in my case the premier card. Maybe they have other options also.

I have only this insurance because I was emigrated. I have no insurance in my home country. So it was important to have a good insurance for me when I live here in LOS.

From what I have heard, AIA play hard when it comes to claiming but then I expect most insurance companies are the same.

NZI (formerly known as Royal Sun Alliance) seem to geared towards the expat market, they appear to offer very good levels of cover but are more expensive than the likes of AIA, Bupa, Thalhealth etc.

hi,

thanks a lot in advance!

khun_j

I recommend you to buy a healthinsurance from BUPA - Thailand. The same product will cost you much less here, than if you buy the same insurance in Europe

I used Goodhealth for a year - started of a bit bad as they claimed to have a "no-pay-cash" agreement for out-patient with one of the hospitals - but when I checked with the respective hospital they had never heard of it.

Later I emailed them that I went to a chiropractor for treatment (which one is supposed to do to get confirmation) but never got a reply.

(I ended up spending less than my deductable so never had to have a discussion when filing claim).

The above items made me think that it would make sense to have a more Thailand based insurance company that the hospitals Etc. knew right away.

I compared Bupa to Thaihealth and Bupas policy is too complicated with too many restrictions and higher price than Thaihealth(started by Bupa executives).

This time I bought at www.thaihealth.co.th - cover tops out at 1.5M Baht on their most expensive cover which should be ok to cover the Thailand needs - and one can then add another Baht 2M when travel through their travel policys, or buy a foreign healthinsurance with high deductable to cover the truely catastrophic cases (flown to the USA for brain surgery Etc.).

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
"Thai Life" or "AIA" IMO they are okay if you live here really. They'll send you first for a check in a hospital about HIV/AIDS or sugar... and you'll need maybe one year extension or something like that (residence permit in my case). The first 4 months (for sickness only so by AIA) they'll not pay if you're sick. They want to be sure you are not really sick before. All the contract papers are writing in Thai script also your name on the card's. So this is in my case the premier card. Maybe they have other options also.

I have only this insurance because I was emigrated. I have no insurance in my home country. So it was important to have a good insurance for me when I live here in LOS.

Does anyone know of an Insurance company that does not require work permit or non-imi visa status? I come to LOS on 30 day entry stamp basis every other months and looking for a good health insurance. Got an accident coverage only from AIG. Thanks for any advise.

While Thaihealth did want a copy of my passport and a local address it was more for mailing the policy/card - and I did not have the impression they actually checked what visa I had. Also; they did not require any health check (maybe because I look so healthly? :o )

Cheers!