Mariage Visa/wife's Shop.

Dear members I want your advice and SUNBELT advice please.

I have mariage visa for 1 year.

my wife have a small minimart and I stay in the house that include the shop of course.

I have tabian-ban of this house (lease 30 years) which means I resident in this house.

My legal question is:

I help my wife on daily basis as she is my wife and we everyday at the shop running the biz together.

Is it ok from the law eyes? (husband helps wife even no work permit..as she is my wife!!).

And practicly(real life) is something like police come to ask questions and I am in troubles??

I know I can solve it by register company on my name but its really hers on her name and this business not worth it to register company and pay all the taxs.

My opinion is that I am ok (It is my wife..I help/It is my house-have tabian-ban/I have visa to stay in the country-Mariage visa.).

So your opinion pls..

:o

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Being married (and having to obey to directions of your wife) is no defense. You have to have a work permit to work. It is probably not going to be an issue until/if someone takes a dislike to you or wife and makes a point of it.

Even if you owned the company you would still require a work permit to work.

The thing is like this;

The shop is successful (and if you know thai mentality behavior that means they open their eyes and gossip)

Competition opened shop and dont like that we are there and more successful then them.

so my question is if happaned to be that police come to check I just stay at MY house with visa to stay in thailand.this is my wife and no reason to talk about it anymore as much as it concern to the police-check..

I am talking about real life not rules that written in the thai law book and not being enforce.

please your advice.

Maybe you would like to hear my case. My wife has a minimart and she is the owner of the building (shop house) when I'm on holiday in Thailand of course I stay in the same building and sometimes helping her sell (as cashier). I don't see any problem with this set-up as the business is hers and not mine (I don't have WP in Thailand as I'm working in other Asian country). Our shop is registered on her name.

If you can register the shop on your wife's name then you are safe. Just don't declare all of your earnings so you just pay minimum amount of tax (normally you have to pay tax every 6 months and it is not so expensive compare to hassle of being investigated but the tax department). Have a computerized cash register that has pasword protection and not the normal cash register tha the tax department can check.

@ZZZ9

you have no work permit

nothing has changed because you are married to a thai

respect the THAI LAW...because you living in THAILAND

what you thinking and what you like...how cares

if the police know about you and if the police like make trouble to you ...you will have it, big trouble maybe deportation....because you have no work pewrmit...easy to understand yes ?

you guys aint listening to the advice

irs no problem at all doing it until you get reported and then even just "helping out the wife" becomes aproblem as you are BREAKING THE LAW by working without a WP

In my case, how can I be working when my wife does not pay me salary? My presence in the shop house is simple, I live there with my family! And we have a shop because it is my wife's business. Besides, I'm just in Thailand for a few days visiting my family on the weekends and equipped with a non-O. Who will need a work permit on doing this???

Msometimes helping her sell (as cashier).

because this is ILLEGAL and when someone that is jealous of your success reports you you will be in the Sh*t as they say in some places :o

but hey carry on, oh and lets hope they do you for noy paying the correct amount of tax as well

as you are a guest in a foreign country why can't you just comply with the laws

is it really that hard for you to do??

thanks for the advices.

I think same thai_narak.

I dont get sallary.

tabian ban its my house what they can tell me?go out from your own house?

During the business hours stay upstair or take a walk?

I think work-permit its more for people that WORKING in companies or shops that they get any benefit(money/sallary) and do it without work-permit.

The shop is on her name only ,everything about tax and licence-its hers.

So I know its on the "grey area" but not illegal as you try to point out.

*Just my thoughts and exoecting to hear your thoughts and facts,experiences.

I help my wife on daily basis as she is my wife and we everyday at the shop running the biz together.

sorry, i thought that when you typed the above you meant that you helped her in the shop.

Obviously you mean you bring her a glass of cold water when she is thirsty because if you help her in the shop it is ILLEGAL

Is it ok from the law eyes? (husband helps wife even no work permit..as she is my wife!!).

And practicly(real life) is something like police come to ask questions and I am in troubles??

i am sure you wont have any problems at all if the "law" come a calling - just say you are helping your wife so the LAWS in thailand don't count. I am sure they will understand :o

because this is ILLEGAL and when someone that is jealous of your success reports you you will be in the Sh*t as they say in some places :o

but hey carry on, oh and lets hope they do you for noy paying the correct amount of tax as well

I think we should be realistic here. The tax thing is my wife's problem becasue it is her business and I already warned her about this but she said that every shop in Thailand are doing the same thing and she can point each and every shop around our vicinity who are not paying the right amount of taxes when the tax revenue department comes investigating.

The point is, am I really involved in this mess? Do you really expect me to lock myself in our room while my wife is selling in the shop? Please, before you reply try to understand one's situation before insulting anyone...

Edited by thai_narak

The fact is that if you expand energy you are working and that is illegal without a work permit. In the OP case he says people are already getting upset so the knock on the door may come sooner rather than later and if he is observed working he will be in trouble. This is not an unenforced law.

I have mariage visa for 1 year.

my wife have a small minimart and I stay in the house that include the shop of course.

I have tabian-ban of this house (lease 30 years) which means I resident in this house.

My legal question is:

No

I know I can solve it by register company on my name but its really hers on her name and this business not worth it to register company and pay all the taxs

Get a work permit with your wife being the natural employer. She only has to have paid personal income tax of 25,000 Baht last year, or had a net income of 350,000 Baht in sales last year or employs 2 Thais and she can hire you. Your salary could be 15,000 Baht per month and you don't even need to pay any personal income tax. You will just need to file the PND #1 ( monthly withholding tax every month) with zero tax owed. Your job could be an Personal Assistant to your wife at the store.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I think we should be realistic here. The tax thing is my wife's problem becasue it is her business and I already warned her about this but she said that every shop in Thailand are doing the same thing and she can point each and every shop around our vicinity who are not paying the right amount of taxes when the tax revenue department comes investigating.

The point is, am I really involved in this mess? Do you really expect me to lock myself in our room while my wife is selling in the shop? Please, before you reply try to understand one's situation before insulting anyone...

i wasnt aware that i was insulting anyone so apologoes for that

However how would you feel in your own homeland about ILLEGAL workers - married or not??

would you still have the same opinion that it wouldn't really matter?

However how would you feel in your own homeland about ILLEGAL workers - married or not??

Excuse me Sir, do you think I'm an illegal worker? Have you read my posts? For your information, I'm working in another country and my wife has the right to do her business in Thailand since she is Thai. How would you feel if you will be treated as an illegal if you are in my situation?

Enlighthen me...

My wife owns a cart selling crepes and i frequently go there in a mornings to help her setup.

I've seen police drive by while i'm obviously doing 'work' and they've seen me, but never stopped.

I wonder if the average Joe police man even knows foreigns aren't supposed to work?

This is just my experience...

I've only ever read one post on TV about someone actually have any problems with the police about working, and he wasn't working with his wife.

My wife still thinks i'm full of sh*t when i say "You know i could get arrested for helping you"

Excuse me Sir, do you think I'm an illegal worker? Have you read my posts? For your information, I'm working in another country and my wife has the right to do her business in Thailand since she is Thai. How would you feel if you will be treated as an illegal if you are in my situation?

Enlighthen me...

thats not the same as what you said here

Maybe you would like to hear my case. My wife has a minimart and she is the owner of the building (shop house) when I'm on holiday in Thailand of course I stay in the same building and sometimes helping her sell (as cashier). I don't see any problem with this set-up as the business is hers and not mine (I don't have WP in Thailand as I'm working in other Asian country). Our shop is registered on her name.

If you can register the shop on your wife's name then you are safe. Just don't declare all of your earnings so you just pay minimum amount of tax (normally you have to pay tax every 6 months and it is not so expensive compare to hassle of being investigated but the tax department). Have a computerized cash register that has pasword protection and not the normal cash register tha the tax department can check.

anyway what does it matter

several people including sunbelt have given their opinion and i gave mine

hope you have fun "not working"

If you do not understand the word "work" look it up in a dictionary.

Work inThailand is work - if you work you need a work permit - no if but's or maybe's.

You might recall after the Tsunami - there was talk about the volunteers who came to help needing work permits - not sure where this ended up - but just shows how "work" is viewed here.

However, it's your call - you can be legal or illegal - you're the one at risk not those trying to give advice.

Enlighthen me...

thats not the same as what you said here

anyway what does it matter

several people including sunbelt have given their opinion and i gave mine

hope you have fun "not working"

OK... what do you think about business man coming and going out of Thailand for a period of time, let say 2-3 days (like sales from another country)? Are these workers ILLEGAL is your eyes? This is my case, I go home to Thailand on weekends once a month to visit my family and it just happened that my wife has a business and sometimes helping her. Do you think I have to get WP for this? Do you think I'm ILLEGAL as you said? My case is different than the OP...

My wife owns a cart selling crepes and i frequently go there in a mornings to help her setup.

I've seen police drive by while i'm obviously doing 'work' and they've seen me, but never stopped.

I wonder if the average Joe police man even knows foreigns aren't supposed to work?

I've only ever read one post on TV about someone actually have any problems with the police about working, and he wasn't working with his wife.

My wife still thinks i'm full of sh*t when i say "You know i could get arrested for helping you"

The number one reason foreigners are arrested in Thailand (at least according to the U. K. Honorary Ambassador) is foreigners working without a work permit. It never seems to make the newspapers.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

"helping" is work

work without WP is illegal

get it???

Can you please help me to get work permit on helping my wife during the weekends in my own house? How much do you think will this cost? How much do you charge for processing? By the way, thank you for shouting at me... Next time, I will have to remind myself that I'm just a foreigner in thailand.

The number one reason foreigners are arrested in Thailand (at least according to the U. K. Honorary Ambassador) is foreigners working without a work permit. It never seems to make the newspapers.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

And how many is that?

The real joke is that its not even possible to get a work permit for this kind of thing is it?

I mean arent the work permit requirements that you have 2mil baht capital, and paying taxes for 5 thai employees etc... etc... (oh and paying taxes on yourself for atleast 40k a month).

I'm sure that they will laugh at me in the labor department if I'll tell them that I need a working permit to help my wife in her shop whenever I'm home visiting. Another thing is that, if I don't help sometimes I may sleep on the floor and get kick out of the house. :o

I'm sure that they will laugh at me in the labor department if I'll tell them that I need a working permit to help my wife in her shop whenever I'm home visiting.

Laugh? Why? If you are working in the shop, you need a work permit.

The real joke is that its not even possible to get a work permit for this kind of thing is it?

Of course it is possible

mean arent the work permit requirements that you have 2mil baht capital, and paying taxes for 5 thai employees etc... etc... (oh and paying taxes on yourself for atleast 40k a month).

Guess you did not see this post.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=996459

Get a work permit with the wife being the natural employer. The wife only has to have paid personal income tax of 25,000 Baht last year, or had a net income of 350,000 Baht in sales last year or employs 2 Thais and she can hire the OP. The OP salary could be 15,000 Baht per month and he don't even need to pay any personal income tax. He will just need to file the PND #1 ( monthly withholding tax every month) with zero tax owed. His job could be an Personal Assistant to his wife at the store.

Even if it was based on a company, the registered capital only has to be one million Baht ( married to a Thai), no Thais need to be employed and his salary could be even 15K per month(Not 40 or 50K per month)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com