Sick In Thailand ?

Whiplash

Ever been sick in LOS ? Seriously sick ?

I have..

I just got back from a hospital stay here in ChiangMai due to attracting Dengue Fever.. The name of the hospital is Rajavej ChiangMai Hospital.

For me it was the first hospital stay ever in my life, I have managed to never been hospitalized in 42 years, accident or sickwise..

The sickness started with a fever that I didn't think much of.. 'someting I ate'.. was my thought.. but after 3 days of rising and dropping fever up to 39 Celsius I went to the hospital for advice.

The doctor did a quick checkup and gave me some drugs to take 3 times a day for 5 days, and sent me home to rest, bacause the only symptoms I had was fever. and the doctor thought I just had a influensa..

After thoose 5 days had past and the fever did'nt vanish all together and some pink spots began to appear on my arms, legs, hands and feet..

I returned to get a bloodsample taken and analyzed because I thought there must be someting more than just a influensa.

This time there was a different doctor, he took my blood pressure, urine and bloodsample and then told me to sit down and wait, after about 20 minutes he returned to say that he wanted to commit me due to my attracting the Dengue Fever.. B)

I was at a loss because I havn't been out trekking or been subjected to a mosquito attack somewhere to be at a risc of this decease, I am living in a rented house not near any waterways or ponds, so I thought I was safe from mosquito carried deceases.. not so apparently..

And now when the sickness had gone so far as the pink spots appearing it was a danger that it would evolve to Hemmoraging Dengue Fever.. A possible lethal development affecting the liver and stomach badly.

Well.. This scared me quite alot.. I was committed and was put on IV with a saline solution, with a 3 times a day injection with some medicine to take care of the virus in my system.

I was also ordered NOT to brush my teeth.. B) because this could lead to hemmoraging of my gums.. :o

Fortunately I could have a private room, with all the comforts, AC, TV, Fridge with bottled water and snacks.. But the comfort was not was I thought it would be..

Although the mattress and pillows were comfy, they both had a vinyl cover.. although cotton linens was draped over it all, the experience was a bit sticky to say the least.. maybe a Thai wouldn't feel uncomfortable, but as a farang my skin didn't like the experience at all, plus the IV needle in my left hand restricted me from getting comfortable too, as a result I had about 3 hours sleep in the 2 days I spent in the hospital.

Turning the AC up only resulted in half my body freezing and the part in contact with the bed still sweating from the vinyl experience.. :D

During this 2 days the spots multiplied, but mostly on my hands and feet, which made them sore, itchy and very tender at the touch.. I had trouble open and closing the faucet when doing toilet visits, some bleeding occured under the skins also. Now after staying at home the spots has allmost vanished totally.

The treatment of me from the doctors and nurses was exellent, nothing to complain about, but the smart remarks and treatment my wife recieved from 1 or 2 nurses had much to be desired.. all this I only learned after I was released..

Another example of saving face ??? Was my wife worried I was going to make a scene ?? Perhaps I would.. If I had the choice..

This stay in the hospital resulted in me feeling alot better, though my liver was affected which makes me taking medicin for another week to get it up and going as before.. when the medicin is finished i will return to get another blood sample taken to assure the liver has recovered ok.

Also I got the bill, it came to 6809 Bht.. it was ok I guess, I was prepared for more.

So I just want to say to everyone that you are NOT safe from attracting serious illnesses even if you are not trekking and putting yourself in the danger.

From now on I am using mosquito oil even in the comfort of my home.. as that seems to be required to be safe.

I dont want this experience one more time. Take Care! B)

A truely horrific experience.

I was sick last month. I too was running a temperature of 37-39? and I was drifting in and out of conciousness. It lasted 1 day then I was fine! I have a morbid fear of hospitals so wasn't going there (and I was too ill to go to the doctor). Luckily everthing worked out fine.

As Spike Milligan once said "I am not afraid of dying....I just don't want to be there when it happens! :o

Another time I went scuba diving and contracted conjuctivitus. My eyes streamed constantly and looked like peeled tomatoes. The doctor the dive school uses prescribed some medicine which didn't work and I evntually went to another that my g/f uses who sorted it out in 2 days. I looked really stupid walking around night clubs with shades on!

Some doctors are a waste of time. If you have to see a doctor, go to one that the Thais use!

i ate some bad chicken on walking street about two years ago. after blowing chunks and the hershey squirts for three days i didn't know my name. finally my friends dragged me into the hospital. they gave me an IV with some morphine for the pain. i have to say the morphine was a sweet magic carpet ride. my first food poisoning so like an idiot i thought it would just go away. the other time was an orange juice stand outside MBK in Bangkok. the doctors claim a farang needs to suffer to get use to the bacteria out here. after surviving both of those episodes i can basically eat out of a dog's dish now.

the hospital facilities are superb, but i believe the diagnostic abilities (especially of the more life threatening conditions) to be a bit hit and miss.

the reliance on vast quantities of pills for minor complaints is not always the best medical practice.

one time last year whilst travelling in the north east, we couldnt find a decent hotel for the night,i think it was in surin,someone recommended the hospital,if they arent full they will rent out rooms by the night.

sure enough, we were given a superb room for the night,a porter took our bags up on a wheelchair,room fully equipped with tv,air,electrically operated bed,piped oxygen and nitrous. but couldnt sleep for fear of waking up minus a kidney. breakfast was served in the room by a nurse. 700 baht. amazing thailand.

A western medico friend of mine got sick and went to Bumrungrad Hospital. He was absolutely overawed at the standard of care and the facilities there.

Oh it's nice symbolically. Substantively?

That's a different story. That's where I went for the AD.

Cheap enough from a money point of view. Buck and a half for the doppler and full check up. Would have cost me my life.

Mr Vietnam :o

I had HEP B some months back. Can be and Std or you can get from food, water etc. The 1st doc got it wrong but the symtoms came on so strong later, I pretty much diagnosed myself. The second dr. was way better and did the right blood tests and everything. I ended up losing about 9 kilos and was unable to keep food down, red urine, light stool, extremely jaundiced, and abnominal pains. I was lucky to have a Thai girl help me through a difficult time. You should have seen me at work, I was death warmed over. I was afraid to not go in, figured they'd fire me. If you ever get it, you should go in and get tested, to make sure you are cured, as it can linger on. Also a shot is available pre-emptively. If you have ever had Hep you should not give blood.

• 4 months later...

I'll say that the treatment I had in Phuket International Hospital 4 years ago, when I had a heart problem when on holiday, was first class, a lot better than what I would have had here in Denmark, they saved my life for the sum of 45000 bath, that was 4 days in intensive care and 1 day in what could have been a 5 star hotel room, I feel very safe going to Thailand.

I caught some kind of black fly fever when I worked in Cachoengsao. The doc gave me a shot with my own syringe(wife's a diabetic) felt fine after 2 days of ######. The CDC recommended to carry your own syringe just in case you need a shot. They also recommended that if you can wait until you get back to the states to go to the hospital you should. That was in 1996. Now I see on tv that Thailand is becoming world famous for it's hospital care and the price of health care. They advertise that people are coming to Thailand for surgery and a vacation and it is still cheaper than just the surgery in the states. Times are changing.

When the wife and I visited Thailand in February, I checked with the US Centers for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/travel/seasia.htm on recommended vaccinations. We both got three vaccinations before the trip.

Trouble with that is, if you don't get sick, you don't really know if they helped or not.

While we were there, we hooked up with an old friend who had retired in Nakhon Sawon years ago. She had triple bypass heart surgery last year and was doing very well. Her biggest problem was trying to get reimbursed for it from the US Medicare.

When the wife and I visited Thailand in February, I checked with the US Centers for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/travel/seasia.htm on recommended vaccinations. We both got three vaccinations before the trip.

Trouble with that is, if you don't get sick, you don't really know if they helped or not.

While we were there, we hooked up with an old friend who had retired in Nakhon Sawon years ago. She had triple bypass heart surgery last year and was doing very well. Her biggest problem was trying to get reimbursed for it from the US Medicare.

At least she's alive and able to argue. :o

Got a bad infection once, temperature that sort of thing, they wanted to operate but had an op organised back in Oz. Went to the KhonKaen Ram hospital and the quality of treatment was first class and the price was even better.

Steer clear of government hospitals. Go straight to the big private ones.

Long Paiya Barn Eckachon.

Even there the doctors can be poor, but you have a better chance of good

treatment. Prices are low by US or European standards.

I depends on how obscure the disease.

Dengue Fever is not unusual here, so they know what to do.

Would that be true in you home country?

However diagnostic skills are not a well honed as the might be in the US or

Europe.

So...what can we say about small provincial hospitals, presumably government run. Simply stay away or could they be trusted to handle an appendectomy?

Agree with bluecat here, absolutely not. Half the time there isn't a doctor at our small local hospital, x-ray has been on the blink for 3 weeks, most local women go to the mainland or Samui to have their babies. There are two doctors at the hospital and one of them is a total alchoholic. Shaky hands and all. Many doctors in Thailand go through medical school with govt help and then are posted to provincial hospitals to pay off their debt to the govt. The good ones stay in Bangkok, the smaller and more rural the hospital the more bottom of the barrel you get.

Guest Lazarus
So...what can we say about small provincial hospitals, presumably government run. Simply stay away or could they be trusted to handle an appendectomy?

Yes they can be trusted. Just get them to write on your throat, which tonsil is the problem.

Agree with bluecat here, absolutely not. Half the time there isn't a doctor at our small local hospital, x-ray has been on the blink for 3 weeks, most local women go to the mainland or Samui to have their babies. There are two doctors at the hospital and one of them is a total alchoholic. Shaky hands and all. Many doctors in Thailand go through medical school with govt help and then are posted to provincial hospitals to pay off their debt to the govt. The good ones stay in Bangkok, the smaller and more rural the hospital the more bottom of the barrel you get.

sbk ... do they really cover up for the pisshead doctor ? That is downright dangerous in a rural community.

sbk ... do they really cover up for the pisshead doctor ? That is downright dangerous in a rural community.

YOU BETCHA! There are times when there aren't any doctors at the hospital, not even the drunk one! I remember one time my little nephew was ill in the hospital and when we went to visit we found out that the doctors were on the mainland for a mandatory meeting. Never mind the sick people in the hospital!

There are two doctors at the govt hospital, we have a local population exceeding 7,000 not to mention the thousands of tourists. I try very hard to stay real healthy

sbk  ...  do they really cover up for the pisshead doctor ?  That is downright dangerous in a rural community.

YOU BETCHA! There are times when there aren't any doctors at the hospital, not even the drunk one! I remember one time my little nephew was ill in the hospital and when we went to visit we found out that the doctors were on the mainland for a mandatory meeting. Never mind the sick people in the hospital!

There are two doctors at the govt hospital, we have a local population exceeding 7,000 not to mention the thousands of tourists. I try very hard to stay real healthy

A drunken doctor isn't even worth Fearless Leader's 30 baht program. Maybe an anonymous note to the Ministry of Public Health might be useful to your community.

Mandl: I would be much surprised if your friend is able to get U.S. Medicare in Thailand. Medicare is NOT available outside the U.S. as far as I know.

My experiences with Thai medical care in the best hospitals designed to attract farang patients is excellent, except:

Be prepared for poorly maintained walls in public areas. Why they won't paint walls in a hospital every year or more often is a mystery to me.

Also, many Thai doctors, while clinically good, were trained under the old world class attitude that a patient is a specimen to be studied. In most advanced western countries, doctors trained in the last twenty years realize that involving the patient in treatment is better for everyone and that "bedside" manner is essential for quick recoveries. My experience with Thai doctors is that you will not get this kind of consideration unless you demand it and press for it constantly. If the doctor "hides" from you when confronted, as is the thai style, change doctors quick.

Just my 2 cents worth; went to the small hospital here is maerim because my ear was full of crap,,,the doctor told there was nothing in there and gave me some antibiotics. I told her that my ear WAS full of crap-she said No its not. So i went to the private hospital and the doctor there pulled out a pound of crud. You get what you pay for,in this case 100 baht.

In Bangkok a few years ago, I got food poisonning from, I think, the shrimp with coconut dish I had at the "once upon a time" restaurant. I was staying at the Indira Regent hotel. At first I figured after being sick so much I would just get better but I didn't. I was so weak that I couldn't get out of bed to open the door for the hotel doctor. As I was staying alone, someone sent me by ambulance to a women's hospital, I don't know the name but close to the hotel. I felt terrible, I thought I was going to die but the staff took excellent care of me. I was amazed at how efficient the hospital staff were through-out my ordeal. I should have gone right away.

In Samui last year, after a little motor bike accident, I went to the hospital on Chaweng. The nurses were very nice and quite efficient in cleaning and patching up my cuts. However the doctor didn't properly check my shoulder and it hasn't healed well.

In Bangkok a few years ago, I got food poisonning from, I think, the shrimp with coconut dish I had at the "once upon a time" restaurant. I was staying at the Indira Regent hotel. At first I figured after being sick so much I would just get better but I didn't. I was so weak that I couldn't get out of bed to open the door for the hotel doctor. As I was staying alone, someone sent me by ambulance to a women's hospital, I don't know the name but close to the hotel. I felt terrible, I thought I was going to die but the staff took excellent care of me. I was amazed at how efficient the hospital staff were through-out my ordeal. I should have gone right away.

In Samui last year, after a little motor bike accident, I went to the hospital on Chaweng. The nurses were very nice and quite efficient in cleaning and patching up my cuts. However the doctor didn't properly check my shoulder and it hasn't healed well.

I too got food poisoning once ( bad oyster at an expensive seafood restaurant ) The standard of care at Bangkok Christian Hospital was A1. In hospital just half a day. Cheap as chips. The main doc was a lady, with post grad qualifications from UCLA, and superb english language skills.

Try not to get very sick in the PROVINCES.

I was in Trang and I was real sick.

Never really got a diagnosis. Got some pills and have no idea what they were or whether they really worked or were for what I had (because the diagnostics were a joke).

This was at the main hospital in Trang.

The only good thing (which embarased me a little) is that they saw me real quickly, perhaps because they see few farangs.