Intonation Of จะ (ja-will) And ไหม (mai--?)

my benny rai

There are many words that do not follow the tone rules. For example, different books I have read state that จะ (JA for WILL) is mid tone or low tone. Also, different books have said that ไหม (Mai-?) is rising or high.

For JA and MAI, which tones do you use?

What are some other words that you know of that do not follow the typical tone rules? Let us make a list for new students of Thai.

The question word ไหม is a clear exception and always takes the high tone in spoken Thai, never the rising tone.

จะ is not really an exception, but in casual speech, like several others words, it often becomes mid tone when not emphasized. The vowel is so short in fast speech that one almost only hear a 'j' - i.e. 'muealai j' bpai tiaow hua hin kan sak thii?' ([impatiently] When are we going to go to Hua Hin together?)

In fluid speech many tones are reduced when not emphasized. When pronounced in isolation, the tones become clearer.

The question word ไหม is a clear exception and always takes the high tone in spoken Thai, never the rising tone.

Really? Just curious because I'm sure I've heard Thais use the rising tone on many occasions. For example, person A asks person B: "j' bpai tiaow hua hin mai" (rising tone on mai - OK...I accept this).

Person B replies "อะไรนะ"

Person A asks again "จะไปเที่วยหัวหินไหม" (now the 'mai' is emphasized and drawn out with a definite rising tone).

Perhaps this is an exception to the exception :o

Really? Just curious because I'm sure I've heard Thais use the rising tone on many occasions. For example, person A asks person B: "j' bpai tiaow hua hin mai" (rising tone on mai - OK...I accept this).

Person B replies "อะไรนะ"

Person A asks again "จะไปเที่วยหัวหินไหม" (now the 'mai' is emphasized and drawn out with a definite rising tone).

You're right... I have said it to myself a few times and it makes sense....