Rc Flying.... 401

As requested by phazey a new thread on RC flying....

transferred questions

Interesting subject.

what type of fuel do they use? i think petrol but do you have to add oil to the mix like an outboard engine for your boat?

whats the range of them?

ever had serious accident?

lots of questions to ask about this subject..i think ill ask a few at a time

thanks

No problem, most people ask these same questions :D

Fuel depends on engine. You have four major departments.

Electrics

Glow engine's

Gasoline engine's

jet engine's

Electrics use electric motors as the name implies. Two version of motor

standard or brushless... think phazy is more familliar with this.

Glow engine's: Vast majority, start from 1cc to 25cc on average.

These engines don't run on gasoline like most people think but on Methanol.

Methanol is mixed with organic or synthetic oils to provide greasing. Sometimes Nitro (nitromethane) is added for more power.

Mix is mostly 18% oil, 10 to 30 % nitro, the rest methanol.

Gasoline engine's

larger planes, low fuel consumption , range from 20cc to 400cc engines.

Use standard super gasoline + oil = same mix for two strike motercycle's.

Jet engine's :

Model of real jet engine's , same principle and fabrication, Uses kerosine (not completely sure but :D , very expensive.

The Range is limited to how far and good you can see....

If you can't see it anymore , you can steer it ... and you crash.

Some people see more far then others :D

Range of transmitter is about 4 km's

About accidents , yes it is DANGEROUS if you don't know what you're doing. Unfortunatly most thai people don't understand this yet :o , ma pen lai.

There have been several accidents which even included deaths in the past years.

Last year a guy in the US got killed by his helicopter went it went out of control.

Year before that a litlle girl was killed in the uk by a plane without control. They were walking next to the airfield.

These things are NO TOYS, especially helicopters. Not recommended under 18 years without supervision.

If you go look on an airfield stay well away from the runway. if possible stay behind a fence. Most clubs also put these up to protect the public.

If you want to start in the hobby get advice of an expert to help you setup and fly for the first time. Don't try it yourself like mentioned in a previous post. YOu will only enjoy it for few minutes and it's not that cheap :D

I agree with the above - I used to fly slopers back in the UK, nice gentle unpowered beasts, dancing on the winds.......YEAH RIGHT.

Buried one of my phase 6's best part of 8" (up to the leading edge) in the ground - could have been a bystander, but the best thing about slopes are that they are generally unpopulated. Second phase-6 midaired this CF alpha thermal bird, cost me a fair sum in gentlemens compensation.

I know there is model flyers insurance both in the UK and the US - is there any here ?

I'm just taking baby steps in RC heli's - you know, those little things that can easily lop on arm off of an unspecting bystander - is there any thai equivelent ?

I'm also seeing electric as the most favourable option for RC - i dont know the quality of nitro here - but it's messy and noisey and makes baby jesus cry sometimes. Albeit, i'm up for a BKK funfly in a few months once i find my landing feet - anyone else fancy that ?

I'm also seeing electric as the most favourable option for RC - i dont know the quality of nitro here - but it's messy and noisey and makes baby jesus cry sometimes. Albeit, i'm up for a BKK funfly in a few months once i find my landing feet - anyone else fancy that ?

Hi phazey,

Forgot the no engine categorie :D

like flying sailplanes to :D

The fuel can be mixed yourself but mostly premixed brands are bought in gallon's.

Both most used brands Coolpower and Wildcat are available in thailand and it's imported from the states so should be same quality.

Actually their are only two factory's of Nitromethane in the world , one in the us and one in china. If you mix stuff yourself it will only be ok for small airplanes and preferably not heli's, the mixed brands contain more additives that will prolong your engine's life. they are more expensive though :o

Because of the hot climat in LOS oil percentage needs to be higher or your engine needs to be run in very much. engines get very hot here.

Still nothing beats " the smell of nitro in the morning" :D for me

Went flying with my new 3D plank today :D

how much would it cost to set-up the basic heli machine?

and is it easy to build on your own?

Depends on wich size you want to fly. maybe phazey can give the electrics perspective. For a glow fuel heli i can recommend a raptor 50 from thundertiger which is the most standard beginners heli but will also take you to advanced 3D with the same kit.

prices are around

Heli Raptor 50 kit : 425$ (20.000 bath)

gyro: 175$ (7000 bath)

Transmitter + receiver + standard servo's: 400$ (bought mine 18.000 bath)

Battery 25$ (1000 bath)

Starting equipment (power panel, start engine, start shaft, fuel pump, box to put it in) 200$ ( 8000 bath)

fuel: 800 bath

that's a full setup which will take you for the next three years at least. you can get i cheaper for example second hand ones or cheaper transmitter but then you are gonna need to upgrade for getting into 3D flying :o

You can build your own heli following the instructions in the kit , it's not that difficult if you are a litlle bit of a mechanic .

You WILL need an expert to set it up before flying (blade tracking, trimming , ect) and to explain the basics to you otherwise you will Crash on your first flight

A flight sim will help you practice without cost of chrashes but doesn't really replace the real thing.

wrd up...

I was planning on gettin one of those cheapo 2000 bat RC planes, is there any laws against starting it up in my 22nd floor appartment and throwing it out of the window, having a fly around and then flying it back thru the open window.

You guys forsee any problems with this? Thought it would be fun.

thanks

wrd up...

I was planning on gettin one of those cheapo 2000 bat RC planes, is there any laws against starting it up in my 22nd floor appartment and throwing it out of the window, having a fly around and then flying it back thru the open window.

You guys forsee any problems with this? Thought it would be fun.

No law against it , but probably you can just trow the 2000 bath out of the window.

You won't see both of them coming back inside :o

Is there any RC flying going on in Pattaya.

What's 3D ?

You can fly in pattaya in three/four places. The new official one is next to the tower of pattaya park. that's were they held their competition last year. dangerously close to buildings though.

You can fly sunday together with guy's from a high end rc factory in thailand at pattaya airfield (opposite phoenix golf club , past ambassador in jontiem na.

Or you can fly if you ask in another pattaya airfield were they also have paramotors, it is on the other side of sukhumvit close to swiss sabai village and the elephant park.

3d is flying in 3 dimensions meaning acrobatics. Heli as well as airplanes.

Modelheli's are capable of inverted flight in comparison to real heli's.

I'l look for a link to a new movie clip, hold on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I see some of you here are RC Ethusiasts, probably.

Any ideas where I can get RC stuff in Bangkok? I will be going there tomorrow, so it's a bit rushed. I'm looking for some micro stuff and GWS planes. I'm an electric kind of guy.

And, is there flying going on? I would like to see some Thai skill!

• 2 weeks later...