Taxi

Are there any taxi scams I should know about before taking a taxi from the new airport ?

Unless you are a cheapskate, the best option is give 1000Bt to the girl on the limo desk before you go through customs (where you pick up your bags) and get a decent vehicle to take you where you are going. This saves the hassle of being pestered by the touts outside and you don't have to queue up with the sweating masses at the taxi rank. After all, what's 1000Bt?

depends on your budget you can get free bus to the bus terminal and get a mini van or bus if you want to do it on the cheap or just get a limo or taxi (taxi make sure the meter is on )

Ignore all the touts, go down one level from arrivals (have travellators for luggage carts) give your destination at one of the two taxi desks, take the card with drivers name and license number, pay for tollway to the driver and add 50 baht to meter for airport service, small tip welcome. Only licensed and fairly new taxis are allowed to pick up passengers at Savanaboom.

Are there any taxi scams I should know about before taking a taxi from the new airport ?

Unless you are a cheapskate, the best option is give 1000Bt to the girl on the limo desk before you go through customs (where you pick up your bags) and get a decent vehicle to take you where you are going. This saves the hassle of being pestered by the touts outside and you don't have to queue up with the sweating masses at the taxi rank. After all, what's 1000Bt?

four days of average Thai salary ?

two short times with Pattaya freelancer ?

a buffet dinner at Dusit Resort ?

200 fares of steamed rice ?

50Kg of still to steam rice ?

100 Pattaya baht bus fares ?

200 bananas ?

50 cleaned ready to eat pineapples?

1000 Baht is quite a bit to a Thai.

It would certainly feed my wife's family for a few days. It could even buy them some books for their schooling.

Like I said, if you aren't a cheapskate. It all depends on how you like to travel. I take comfort over cheapness any day.

give up labelling those with different views as cheapskates ,

and people may have some sympathy for your position .

Like I said, if you aren't a cheapskate. It all depends on how you like to travel. I take comfort over cheapness any day.

It's not a case of being a "cheapskate" or Cheap Charlie.

If someone can get to point B from point A for half the cost in pretty much the same environment it would make sense to travel in a meter taxi.

Personally, a slightly more comfortable back seat and a badge on the bonnet does not justify paying several hundred Baht more.

I know I will get there in the same time.

And I'm fairly sure that most of the fare I pay will go to the driver.

If someone can get to point B from point A for half the cost in pretty much the same environment it would make sense to travel in a meter taxi.

Personally, a slightly more comfortable back seat and a badge on the bonnet does not justify paying several hundred Baht more.

The convenience for me of having my bags picked up at customs and not queuing is more than worth a few hundred baht.

It's just senseless to pay more today as all the taxis are required to be new now. I travel monthly and have rarely seen any queue at the public taxis very long. Anyway, my experience with ordering a limo at least at Don Muang was that took longer anyway, waiting for the driver to arrive etc.. Not sure now at SUV airport. Taxi touts don't even get a glance from me, but I do know the annoyance factor for tourists and new visitors must be great. That airport was just planned badly, should have been the taxi stand right outside arrivals. Hope they correct that soon.

That airport was just planned badly, should have been the taxi stand right outside arrivals. Hope they correct that soon.

correct as you may be ,

breaking that particular rice bowl may take some doing ......................

That airport was just planned badly, should have been the taxi stand right outside arrivals. Hope they correct that soon.

correct as you may be ,

breaking that particular rice bowl may take some doing ......................

I know...I know...sigh

The convenience for me of having my bags picked up at customs and not queuing is more than worth a few hundred baht.

On my 6 ot 7 trips to BKK since the move from Don Muang, my wife and I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes in the meter taxi queue.

Maybe we have been lucky. Our arrival times have been between 19.00 and 22.00.

On my 6 ot 7 trips to BKK since the move from Don Muang, my wife and I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes in the meter taxi queue.

I travel on business every few weeks and I spent 15 minutes in the queue and that was when I realised the money saving option wasn't for me, after a 27 hour flight the last thing I want to do is spend time in a taxi queue, that's why I always take the Limo now.

I travel on business every few weeks and I spent 15 minutes in the queue and that was when I realised the money saving option wasn't for me, after a 27 hour flight the last thing I want to do is spend time in a taxi queue, that's why I always take the Limo now.

I accept your point. I'm thankful I only have a 2 1/2 flight to BKK.

But for the average traveller, who in most cases is trying to save a few baht, pounds, dollars, perhaps even a camel or a sheep, a meter taxi would appear to be the better option.

Just out of interest. You say you fly on business every few weeks. Can you not claim the Limo fare as a "Business Expense".

But for the average traveller, who in most cases is trying to save a few baht, pounds, dollars, perhaps even a camel or a sheep, a meter taxi would appear to be the better option.

Just out of interest. You say you fly on business every few weeks. Can you not claim the Limo fare as a "Business Expense".

Well, that is the key question isn't it? I also travel for business and everything is expensible, but i still find it easier, faster and more convenient to use the public taxis. however, I'm not flying 27 hours (presumably from USA). I fly around Asia mostly.

Edited by chinthee

Yes I can, but if my expenses don't come to more than say £40, I don't bother, seems hardly worth doing the paperwork and sending receipts to the UK for small amounts like that.

Yes I can, but if my expenses don't come to more than say £40, I don't bother, seems hardly worth doing the paperwork and sending receipts to the UK for small amounts like that.

Is that £40 per trip or per day.

From past experiences of being self employed or employed directly, the claiming of expenses was worth the few minutes it took to fill in a claim form.

I would happily do your expenses paperwork for a commision.

From past experiences of being self employed or employed directly, the claiming of expenses was worth the few minutes it took to fill in a claim form.

Yeah, thanks for the offer, the firm pays all hotels and flights and a driver in the US but to and from BKK airport I obviously have to pay cash. As the fare there and back is less than 1400 baht it's hardly worth claiming for on it's own.

Now if it was UK taxis' that would be a different story.

Yeah, thanks for the offer, the firm pays all hotels and flights and a driver in the US but to and from BKK airport I obviously have to pay cash. As the fare there and back is less than 1400 baht it's hardly worth claiming for on it's own.

Now if it was UK taxis' that would be a different story.

£20 is £20. It's a few beers. Anyway, my offer still stands. If you like, I'll get the wife to do the claims.

Please, please don't mention UK taxis. The biggest rip off ever.

I recall getting a taxi from T3 at LHR to one of the Hotels on Bath Road.

I told the driver where I wanted to go. He told me there was a courtesy bus that I should take. ( You still have to pay)

He really got the ar@@ ache over it. The ride cost me a fiver or so. No Tip.

They just want the tourists who want to go in to the city or further afield.

Edited by Shrubbery

Regular taxis have 1 problem - that LPG tank in their trunk, can fit a regular size suitcase in there. Many times the suitcase had to sit in the front seat of the car.

A limo - 700B or a Isuzu 4WD 800B is what I take.

Unless you are sitting in the front seat with your suitcase I don't see a problem.

In most cases the drivers will have "spiders" to fasten the boot. Ok, there is the the small risk that some idiot may decide to nick it while you are sitting in traffic.

Reading the numerous posts on this forum about "taxis" and "touts", the main concern is about getting ripped off and/or finding the cheapest way to get from point A to point B.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill: Never, in the field of internet forums, have so many threads been opened and so many posts been made, on such an insignificant subject.

Here, in a nutshell, is Bendix's Guide to Getting from the Airport in several easy steps.

1) Get off plane

2) Give passport to nice man at counter

3) Pick up bag

4) Get in taxi and tell him where to go

5) Get out of taxi when you've arrived.

For more detailed information, please read the 3450 various threads on this subject already.

Is that why the AOT lets their 'Limo Touts' get first crack?

See if they can mislead the weary visitor into paying triple.

Make it inconvienent to find/use the 'local priced' taxis.

Somthings wrong.

Or could it just be that they are there to add an additional service option for weary travellers who perhaps don't want to wait in a queue and are prepared to pay for it.

It's called choice.

Is it me, or is there a growing number of (supposedly unhappy) members who do nothing but suppose everything in their Thai lives is an attempt to 'get them' somehow?

Is it me, or is there a growing number of (supposedly unhappy) members who do nothing but suppose everything in their Thai lives is an attempt to 'get them' somehow?

No, it's not just you.....

Mind you, i do enjoy rubbernecking posts by bingobongo or click2delete :o

Anyway, I thought boter, the original poster, was just taking the piss anyway - maybe all internet boards need a universally understood sarcasm and irony emoticon.

coops

Edited by coops

Or could it just be that they are there to add an additional service option for weary travellers who perhaps don't want to wait in a queue and are prepared to pay for it.

It's called choice.

It's not just you Bendix. I've lived as an expat in many places around the world. I spent years in Russia, and oh, my God, the nonstop whining and whining I used to hear. I completely avoided expats for that reason. Same thing in Hong Kong if you can believe it. Luckily, it's not that bad here, but I'm with you on this issue with respect to TV members. Whining allowed by first time or occasional visitors to the Kingdom.