Applying For Tourist Visa

as i have heard here people mentioning the problems for a single thai female for getting visas for US/UK ,i think its better for u not to mention as her bf.Instead,she better give the valid reason of tourism and meeting friends over there.If she's gainfully employed somewhere for at least 1 year,i think it would be very easy for her to get a visa anywhere in the world ! But if she's not employed anywhere,i think it would be ###### of a chance to get a visa.

It takes almost a personal interview by a thaivisa member to give proper advice in every situation since there are many factors affecting the interviewers decision.

A visit to the Department of State's web page with particular attention to the link to the page on why people are turned down is instructive.

If you concentrate on the principles involved in the decision process, you can make your own evaluation of what evidence will be most persuasive.

The overriding principle is the law that the interviewing counsular officer must enter the interview with the mindset that your g/'f is going to overstay her visa and it is up to her and you to convince otherwise.

The magic words are "A compelling reason to return to Thailand".

Thus, if your girlfriend presents well, has substantial money in the bank, a good job waiting for her to return, a college education, etc. etc. etc. your presence is not necessary, she can qualify on her own.

On the other hand, if you are taking a vacation together, having your g/f lie about her reason for visiting the U.S. can only lead to disaster, unless she is an accomplished liar. If she is caught in a lie, she will be dead meat in the future as well.

Assuming your going on a vacation together, then your activities come into play.

The length of your relaionship, whether you live together, if your have a job you are returning to, all have a bearing on the issue. If you are visiting your family during the trip, etc. A detailed intinerary of your planned activities while in the U.S. with tickets pre-purchased, round-trip of course, and letters and documents supporting everything is persuasive. It is your job to convince and the more documents the better. Rehearse your g/f on answers to expected questions such as "Why do you want to return to Thailand", etc.

If your g/f works fine, her job letter will be very persuasive. If she doesn't, the answer "I take care of my farang and why would I want to stay in the U.S. and work as a waitress in a Thai restaurant when I can live in Thailand without working while I take care of my farang".

You in effect will be producing a stage production for the counsular official, so use your immagination and document everything. Have your g/f dress accordingly, as you should, if you decide to go with her.

If you go to the UK embassy you will not be allowed into the interview.

However a bit of hand holding is usually appreciated.

If you do go DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, go in a barfly's outfit such as rumpled shorts and grubby singlet saying "Singha Beer" and flip flops. They may not interview you but they can see through the glass who is accompanying the young lady.

I would echo ProThaiExpat's view. Practice the true story and the way of answering every question.

I have seen young ladies turned down because they applied to go for 6 months as this is the length of the visa to UK. No employer would keep a job open even for two weeks so why should she want to come back?

• 2 weeks later...
Personally i just go straight to the marriage !!

Almost impossible to get an italian tourist visa.

How many times have you been married? :o

I do not know about the US but I recently asked for a Shengen countries visa for girlfriend.

She does not work anymore.

I was asked the following documents:

- the form filled up

- a medical insurance (compulsary since 01/06/04)

- a sponsor letter (one official sponsor letter signed by the consul, i.e. one stamped one)

- Copy of a pay slip but a bank statement will do.

I also gave copy of the air ticket but not sure it was necessary.

They asked her:

- Where did she meet me?

- How long has she been knowing me?

- Where did she work before?

Got the visa in two days.

But I'm sure being with her helped.

Going through the major hurdle.

The girl from the Embassy taking the application,...

Personally i just go straight to the marriage !!

Almost impossible to get an italian tourist visa. Why that ? I don't know......... but it's not fair :o:D

The poster made it very clear that he wanted a US visa for his GF,and not an italian or a UK visa.

Quote;;It takes almost a personal interview by a thaivisa member to give proper advice in every situation since there are many factors affecting the interviewers decision.""

And how is a Thaivisa member going to give advise US visa when none of us have any power to issue a visa and the decisions made by the US embassy persons are their own actions and not according to members of this forum. The only thing we can do is tell what has happened to others.

The best place for the correct info is the US embassy visa dept.

The poster made it very clear that he wanted a US visa for his GF,and not an italian or a UK visa.

Agree but the title of the thread is not so explicit.

And maybe people wanting a visa for European countries will read it also.

No harm giving some information,...

(You have something against Italian or British, Kevin? :o:D )

Hi Bluecat, never been married before :o

anyway, the documets you say are required also for the italian embassy. But in her credit account she must have a lot of money . I don't remember how much right now. I said a lot of money because for them it is a lot of money that often they don't have. And i cannot give her the money because she has to demonstrate that the money comes from their job .

But anyway that is not my problem anymore, i am going to marry my girlfriend !

see you

anyway, the documets you say are required also for the italian embassy. But in her credit account she must have a lot of money .

As far as bank statement is concerned, I was talking about mine.

Same for pay slip.

Since I am the one "sponsoring" the trip.

They did not ask for her bank statement.

But Ok, if you think marriage is the solution to your visa problems,... :o:D

Hi Bluecat, the way of sponsoring doesn't exist anymore for Italy. It was too much easy that way. Belive me !!

They have to make it impossibile to bring thai lady into my country, maybe the two country are not good friends...................... who knows :o

• 1 month later...

The best place for the correct info is the US embassy visa dept.

this writer has obviously never tried to do this himself. what actual answer would you presume you would get? you get nothing but a rehashing of the purposely vague regulations and statements like "again, unless I have all the facts, I wouldn't ba able to tell you. It is up to the visa officer's judgement" and blah blah, fnBLAH. this is of course after you spend ten minutes EXPLAINING all the relevant facts to him.