Police Disciplinary Measures

draggons

POLICE DISCIPLINARY MEASURES

Turning pink with shame

A pink ''Hello Kitty'' armband wrapped around a khaki-clad arm is shouting for attention at the police Crime Suppression Division. It is a new disciplinary measure introduced especially for police investigators who refuse to play by the rules.

-Bangkok Post

Pink armband? Maybe they will also have to patrol Silom Soi 2 & 4! Of course, maybe that wouldn't be a punishment!

I wonder why they can't disclose their offence--that would probably act as a realistic deterrent to other officers.

060807_front.jpg

When a verbal warning is not taken seriously, the Crime Suppression Division will get tough—by handing out pink ‘‘Hello Kitty’’ armbands

to undisciplined police investigators.— SURAPOL PROMSAKA NA SAKOLNAKORN

bangkokpost.net

..........the Crime Suppression Division will get tough—by handing out pink ‘‘Hello Kitty’’ armbands to undisciplined police investigators.

Good God. The Police force can't get any worse. Have they ever heard of suspension without pay, dismissal or prosecution for errant officers? :o

I know the crime suppression division in BKK very well and have spent time in their offices. Most of the officers are plain clothed anyway. Pink hello kitty might be a nice fashion accessory as most of them dress so blandly.

I would think you could find a better crowd to hang out with. Thai visa members come to mind.

I know the crime suppression division in BKK very well and have spent time in their offices. Most of the officers are plain clothed anyway. Pink hello kitty might be a nice fashion accessory as most of them dress so blandly.

I would think you could find a better crowd to hang out with. Thai visa members come to mind.

ha ha! I'm not a Thai cop junky. Actually, my wife's identify was stolen, and her ISP account was somehow spoofed to perpetrate some huge internet fraud. As a result, we had to meet with them on a number of ocassions. We became friendly with some of the FBI types there, and they even gave us special badges to put on our cars etc.. Now I just barrel down the road with abandon, Thai style.

The offending officers new firearms are cute...

HelloKittyP14.jpg

Just in.. really bad offending officers will have their above firearm taken away and the officer will have to fight crime with a uhmm.... errrr.... a Hello Kitty adult toy:

hello-kitty-vibe-1.jpg

and do so while wearing Hello Kitty boxers..... on the outside of their uniform trousers, of course:

hkboxers.jpg

Nothing but useless half-measures to show they're doing something. No real disciplinary measures.

Again, it's all about image, no content.

Must be a bright idea coming from those who are not willing to accept the coming police reform.

Edited by Tony Clifton

"Hello Kitty" To Punish Bad Cops In Thailand

AHN - 3 hours ago

Bangkok, Thailand (AHN) - "Hello Kitty" - the Japanese animation character has found a new job in the Thai police department. The cute round-faced cat will ...

Rule-breaker cops must wear 'Hello Kitty' Chicago Tribune

Bad cops to wear pink Edmonton Sun

Hello, kitty Palm Beach Post

Sydney Morning Herald

all 216 news articles »

story is now on it's second lap of the globe . :o

cite

Oh jeez, I just got back up off the floor from laughing tooooo much.... oh god my aching ribs.

This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

It is stuff like this that make TVF well worth the time.

What a joke. What a BIG FAT JOKE.

It is really funny, the Hello Kitty armband.

It is also sad to a degree I'd call shocking. Shockingly sad. Not sure if I can say that but I AM laughing and I feel SHOCKED and SAD at the same time.

This place really is falling apart at the seams, isn't it.

PS: where can I get one of those really cool Hello Kitty guns?

PPS: Is it legal for a farang to wear a Hello Kitty armband? Not that I've done anything wrong, I just think they are soooooo cute.

PPPS: I am sure all the gay Thai men are going to love this one.

PPPPS: I am sure all the gay Thai cops are going to do bad things just to get to wear one.

PPPPS: My grandma would think it was "really very nice"

Oh jeez, I just got back up off the floor from laughing tooooo much.... oh god my aching ribs.

This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

It is stuff like this that make TVF well worth the time.

What a joke. What a BIG FAT JOKE.

It is really funny, the Hello Kitty armband.

It is also sad to a degree I'd call shocking. Shockingly sad. Not sure if I can say that but I AM laughing and I feel SHOCKED and SAD at the same time.

This place really is falling apart at the seams, isn't it.

PS: where can I get one of those really cool Hello Kitty guns?

PPS: Is it legal for a farang to wear a Hello Kitty armband? Not that I've done anything wrong, I just think they are soooooo cute.

PPPS: I am sure all the gay Thai men are going to love this one.

PPPPS: I am sure all the gay Thai cops are going to do bad things just to get to wear one.

PPPPS: My grandma would think it was "really very nice"

:o Is it `shroom season on Koh Samui?

These people are a joke.

"This is to help build discipline. We should not let small offences go unnoticed," Police Colonel Pongpat Chayapan said on Monday.

It brings a new level to the term "Keystone Cops" who probably dressed better in their day. I suppose it is ok for the big offenses to go unnoticed such as shaking down your fellow man for a few baht.

Embarrassing for them - the whole cadre.

Maybe we should hand out pink armbands to my fellow pilots at Northwest -

Go around - 2 days

Overshoot the runway - 1 week

The flight attendants will love it ..

Edited by Guest

THAI POLICE TOO MACHO FOR HELLO KITTY ARMBANDS

Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 12:17 PM

Categories: Bangkok, Thailand

By Ian Williams, NBC News correspondent

I always found it hard to imagine Thai policemen wearing Hello Kitty armbands as a mark of shame for wayward officers.

Evidently most policemen did too, because Thailand's top cops decided Friday to abandon the idea.

It seems there was a rebellion in the macho ranks, as well as outrage on Hello Kitty Web sites.

070810_hellokitty_vmed_9a.standard.jpg

Yasushi Ukigaya / AP

A police officer in Bangkok showed off the Hello Kitty armband that was going to be a used as a disciplinary measure on Monday. The police have since abandoned the idea.

"You have to understand that it's embarrassing for our 30- to 40-year-old policemen to be made to wear this girly, pink armband," conceded police Maj. Weeraprach Wongrat, of the Crime Suppression Division, whose idea it was in the first place.

"It also attracted so much attention – a lot of praise, but a lot of criticism," he said Friday. The Thai police found themselves blasted by Hello Kitty lovers for using their cute icon as a means of punishment.

"We are concerned about the image of police as much as that of Hello Kitty," Weeraprach said. "We decided to drop the plan."

worldblog.msnbc.msn.com

Edited by Mid

The Thai police reform has been announced and will come soon to a police station near you. Add to that the newly announced investigation into the drug war killings. Until then some who disagree with the reform will pretend to actively participate and come up with useless measures like the armband.

Corruption and gangsterism is so widespread and organised within the Thai police force that serious investigations and trials would compare to or even beat the mega mafia trials in the 80's.

mafia.jpg

What kind of country can you hope to build when the police force that is supposed to maintain order is the biggest crime organisation? It's mutiny, plain and simple.

I strongly believe, others say Thailand will remain the same, big changes are are coming and are already in the process.

What kind of country can you hope to build when the police force that is supposed to maintain order is the biggest crime organisation? It's mutiny, plain and simple.

I strongly believe, others say Thailand will remain the same, big changes are are coming and are already in the process.

Plain and simple it definitely is not. It may be a comfort to single out the police force, but in reality the issues are far more complex. Army, civil service and politics is as corrupt. Expats on the fringe of Thai society may see a traffic cop asking for a bribe, but this is just the smallest problem of corruption and crime that spans throughout Thai society.

The patron client system, a society where connections are far more important than achievements, is at the root of the problem, and this won't go away with a police reform initiated by powers that are as corrupt, and who refuse to properly reform themselves.