Thai Man, 24, Gets Death For Slaying Russian Women

george

Man, 24, gets death for slaying Russian women

PATTAYA: -- A 24-year-old man was sentenced to death by the Pattaya Court Monday for the murder of two Russian women on Jomtien beach in February.

Anuchit Lamlert got the maximum punishment after the court decided not to cut his sentence on grounds the defendant confessed - because of the weight of evidence against him.

The court said Anuchit's lengthy criminal record showed he had sought to benefit himself through brutal and lawless acts, with no regard for social peace and the country's tourism image.

-- The Nation 2007-09-03

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man gets death for murder of tourists

CHONBURI: -– A 26-year-old Thai man has been sentenced to death for the premeditated murder earlier this year of two female Russian tourists, on the beach at the seaside resort of Pattaya southeast of Bangkok.

The Chonburi Provincial Court on Monday handed down its verdict, convicting Anuchit Lamlert on six counts of murder in the deaths of Tatiana Tsimfer, age 30, and Liubov Svirkova, 25, who were killed at Pattaya's Jomtien Beach, about 160 kilometres southeast of Bangkok, in the early morning hours of February 24.

According to a statement issued by the Criminal Court in Pattaya, a municipality in this province, Mr. Anuchit confessed to the shooting deaths of the two women in an case of attempted robbery.

Executions in Thailand are carried out by lethal injection, but Mr. Anuchit's case must first be reviewed by automatic appeal to a higher court in Bangkok, the Thai capital.

In death the two women joined a continuing roll of tourist casualties which has led to increased vigilance on the part of police and tourism agencies in Thailand's popular holiday resorts.

--TNA 2007-09-03

This convicted murderer is only 24! Then he should be spending the rest of his natural life in prison which I feel is a far worse punishment than the death penalty! It's been proven that the death penalty is no deterrent for violent crime!

There's my 2 cents!

*Life imprisonment is a pointless sentence. The person never recovers and it costs society money to keep the prisoner with the possibility of escape. You can be sure a lifer will do anything not to be caught including killing again...after all nothing to lose.

More lifers can teach short timers 'old tricks' hardly good for society. While I don't believe in death sentence worse is life imprisonment. (dont believe in death sentence only because so many innocents convicted)

I agree he will not be doing it again if killed. It does however make me wonder on his mental state at the time and others who may act like this. Not condoning this terrible crime, just wondering about a person who would do such a thing and why...horrible for all involved.

Being a X cop in my past life . I can tell you that most lifers in prison, Soon adapt to the life there.

They get so used to it , it just one day to another.

I do have to agree with Chinadarling , There is a lot of people in prison who is innocent, But a lot that are not . I guess there is no perfect system.

But you can not unkill some one . So i guess life is sometime the best you can do.Even if i do think some people need to die for the crime. how do you really decide?

24 or 26, isn't the issue, but the victum's families should decide the outcome of his crimes, as long as it isn't letting the guy off with a short sentence!

Yeah ... I want to cut the nuts of a guy who walked on my daisies.

It's a pity people like you have the vote (assuming you do).

If victUm's family sentences a person for their crimes they'd all be hung, drawn and quartered like the good old Christians used to do.

Edited by mooshcat

<<This convicted murderer is only 24! Then he should be spending the rest of his natural life in prison which I feel is a far worse punishment than the death penalty! It's been proven that the death penalty is no deterrent for violent crime!>>

Of course it is a deterrent. That person will never commit a crime again, much less a violent crime.

<<There's my 2 cents!>>

Not even worth 1.

Strange that someone should delete my post about him getting bail, i mean the tw@t was out on bail for attacking someone when the shooting hapened was he not?

what was your post about him attacking someone else.

strange this post wasnt deleted.

post it again

I agree he will not be doing it again if killed. It does however make me wonder on his mental state at the time and others who may act like this. Not condoning this terrible crime, just wondering about a person who would do such a thing and why...horrible for all involved.

i blame the television, all these ganster movies etc etc, i think it does effect a person if brought up watching them with an unstable mind, its becoming a trend its happeneng more and more all over the world, i personally agree with the death penalty as its the only way other potential killers will learn and fear. Jail for life just inspiers some people, sorry for the spelling;o

Nothing less than a desperate attempt of saving the fading image of tourism in Thailand. There is so much more to do for recoverig the ailing tourism than sentencing a tourist murderer to death ... Start for instance abolishig the tier pricing system at the national park entries! That will do much more than bringing a bandit to death! :o

For some reason this subject burns my biscuit.

The Thai news seems to doubt that the man was guilty, or if he was, he was guilty alone and for the reason stated - just theft. They, the free-ish media, seem to want to know what really happened.

But us fat white blokes on this forum dont.

Hang him now!

Killing him wont help the truth come out. It will simply end the story.

It seems the pattaya boys on this site would love him to be dead asap. Cos Pattaya is a happy land of adult fun with no crime.

Yeah ...

Kill the poor boy now and let there be an end to the idea that there is a Mafia in Pattaya, because, of course, whores and organised crime dont mix.

So do most of you reckon that the Thai justice system got the right man this time for a change, or are you just a bit bored and want to see someone die for all the unsolved heinous crimes you have read about in the papers over the last 55 years of your lives?

I thought they shot people in the back in Thailand.

Literally.

Strapped to a seat, facing a pole, and shot in the back.

Lethal injection is just so Hi So ... i mean Hi Tech.

I'm sure they will kill him quick in case he changes his mind.

Unfortunately, Thailand's last executioner retired several years ago and was not replaced. You should still be able to find additional information by searching the internet. He was replaced by the use of letal injection.

For the morbid, he reportedly used an AK-47 and attempted to use a burst of 3-4 shots to complete the deed. The intent of the multiple shots was to limit the suffering of the condemed.

Later...

Don

So do most of you reckon that the Thai justice system got the right man this time for a change, or are you just a bit bored and want to see someone die for all the unsolved heinous crimes you have read about in the papers over the last 55 years of your lives?

valid point, BUT can you challange them, I Dont think so! its all screwed up and theres not much we can do, i agree with you 99% but you have to accept that 1 voice is NOTHING compared to the rest of the clang, one day it will all surface but will we be legends or just a spec in a sand storm?

Edited by leight02

This convicted murderer is only 24! Then he should be spending the rest of his natural life in prison which I feel is a far worse punishment than the death penalty! It's been proven that the death penalty is no deterrent for violent crime!

There's my 2 cents!

Life in aThai prison or a bullet???

I`d choose the bullet,anyday......

i blame the television, all these ganster movies etc etc, i think it does effect a person if brought up watching them with an unstable mind, its becoming a trend its happeneng more and more all over the world, i personally agree with the death penalty as its the only way other potential killers will learn and fear. Jail for life just inspiers some people, sorry for the spelling;o

Why do people still blame television for the negative actions of others? That would mean that possibly mentally handicapped people, who could be considered to have an unstable mind, are a force to be dealt with someday because they happened to watch a Tony Jaa movie, or the Godfather, or Die Hard, blah, blah ,blah... People do the things they do for their own reasons, i.e. illicit drug use, too lazy to get a job and its easy money, or whatever. He thought he picked a couple of 'easy targets'. I am willing to bet though it was to support some kind of drug habit and the person can not hold a job down. Its petty theft this man did with a capital crime added to it. He may have also panicked too if the women challenged him. He had the mental capacity of getting a weapon to do the crime and I bet it wasn't his first time. It just ended tragically for the victims, their families, and his family, and for the heck of it, I'll add him too because now he is about to loose his life for what? Greed? A quick fix?

So, I strongly believe television had nothing to do with it...