Pvtdick's Expat Quiz

PvtDick

Some easy, some not so easy.

First person to get a score of 100% wins...well nothing. But I'll acknowledge who it is.

1) How many provinces does Thailand currently have?

2) Name the three newest Thai provinces.

3) Had Yai is the largest city of what province?

4) Name five “hilltribes” that can be found living in Northern Thailand.

5) In what year did Thailand become a constitutional monarchy?

6) In what year did the country’s name change from Siam to Thailand?

7) What Thai Prime Minister was responsible for the creation of Phad Thai?

8) On what day of the week do Thai hairdressers traditionally take their day off?

9) Name three varieties of Thai mango.

10) Name the island in Nonthaburi Province that is a popular tourist destination.

11) Name five Thai rivers.

12) Name the General Manager who has been a fixture at the Oriental Hotel for over three decades.

13) Name the first Sukhumvit Hotel to count a swimming pool among its amenities.

14) Name the area and country where Thai silk legend Jim Thompson went missing.

15) Name the American city and state where Thailand’s current Monarch was born, and explain how his parents happened to be there at the time.

16) Name the oldest foreign embassy still operating in Bangkok in its original location.

17) Many Thai roads change names one or more times along their length. What two roads does Sukhumvit become as you travel west from its beginning?

18) What road does Phayathai Road become as you travel north?

19) What road does Ngamwongwan Road become as you travel west?

20) Potential Thai military conscripts dread drawing which color lot during recruitment lotteries?

21) At what percentage of net profit is the Thai corporate income tax fixed?

22) Thai private limited companies must have a minimum of how many shareholders?

23) Name three locally-based fast food chains.

24) Name the two farangs who have become famous singing traditional Thai luk thung songs (first and last names, please).

25) Name Thailand’s top male and female tennis players (first and last names, please).

26) Name the first Thai national to win an Olympic gold medal (first and last names, please) and indicate what sport the medal was for.

27) How many saleung are equal to one baht?

28) What is the name of the type of Thai speech used when speaking to or about royalty?

29) Bangkok’s main synagogue and kosher bakery are located on what Sukhumvit Soi?

30) How did Sukhumvit Sois 3 and 4 get the names “Soi Nana Nua” and “Soi Nana Tai”?

31) What were the given names of the original “Siamese Twins”?

32) Name the Silom Soi 4 discotheque that was the main nightspot for Thailand’s gay community throughout much of the eighties and nineties.

33) Name three Bangkok hotels named after US cities.

34) What is the name of the Phuket district that encompasses Patong Beach?

35) Name the four condiments traditionally served with Thai noodle dishes.

36) What is the English name of the Rattanakosin Hotel?

37) Name five branches of Central Department Store.

38) Name Thailand’s second-largest island.

39) What Thai Prime Minister had a role in the 1963 film “The Ugly American”?

40) What Thai hotel doubled as the Hotel Le Phnom in “The Killing Fields” (current and original names of the hotel, please)?

41) “Patpong” is the shortened surname of the family that owns the two sois that comprise it. What is the family’s full surname?

42) What Thai family is commonly known as “the Kennedys of Thailand”?

43) Although the tuk-tuk has come to symbolize Thailand, the first ones were designed and built in what country?

44) What is the name of the largest deep-water container port in Thailand?

45) Name a Thai province and a Southeast Asian country whose names share the exact same meaning. Also indicate what that meaning is.

46) The point where what three countries meet is known as the “Emerald Triangle”?

47) Name the foreign towns just over the respective borders from the following Thai towns: Mae Sai, Mae Sot, Chiang Khong, Aranyaprathet, Ranong.

48) What is the common name of Bangkok’s Dusit Zoo?

49) Name four Thai cities, excluding Bangkok, that have served as the royal capital.

50) What was the original name of Thai Airways International, and in what year was it founded?

What is it ?

THAI began its life as a domestic airline called Thai Airways Company (TAC). TAC was formed in 1951 when the Thai government purchased shares in three small private airlines and amalgamated their fleets in order to create a national airline.

Did anyone get past question 15? I nodded off somewhere around there and want to know of it's worth going back up the thread? :o

I don't think so, Stocky.

If we were smart enough to answer his questions, we would not be writing in this forum.

Or, maybe, we are not interested,... :D:D

Did anyone get past question 15? I nodded off somewhere around there and want to know of it's worth going back up the thread? :o

Sorry I failed to keep you entertained. Perhaps questions like "name three BJ bars in Bangkok" or "name 3 short-time hotels equipped with gynaecological chairs" would have been more up your alley.

Did anyone get past question 15?  I nodded off somewhere around there and want to know of it's worth going back up the thread? :o

Sorry I failed to keep you entertained. Perhaps questions like "name three BJ bars in Bangkok" or "name 3 short-time hotels equipped with gynaecological chairs" would have been more up your alley.

Oooooh!

Sorry for pissing on your parade, but I did suddenly lose the will to live around question 15, honest :D

Some easy, some not so easy.

24) Name the two farangs who have become famous singing traditional Thai luk thung songs (first and last names, please).

43) Although the tuk-tuk has come to symbolize Thailand, the first ones were designed and built in what country?

48) What is the common name of Bangkok’s Dusit Zoo?

49) Name four Thai cities, excluding Bangkok, that have served as the royal capital.

50) What was the original name of Thai Airways International, and in what year was it founded?

Q: 24 One is Jonas somebody and the other one is a hippy and he's got dreadlocks.

Q: 43 India?

Q: 48 Bangkok Zoo (I think).

Q: Auyathaya (when it's correctly spelt) Bangkok and them other two.

Q: Dunno.

Anyway, I didn't have to use Google. :o

Hey Guys,

As far back as I can remember, the "Emerald Triangle" area mentioned in the quiz is called the Golden Triangle and includes parts of Northern Thailand, Myanmar and Laos. That's where most of Southeast Asia's drug dealing takes place if I'm not mistaken with heroine being the main drug sold through that region. For years, the US has been after a certain guy (can't remember the name) for his major dealings but I don't know if they ever caught him. :o

Dear Mr. PvtDick,

That's quite a list. It would have been much easier if you would have added the answers as well.

The Khao Pansa (Buddhist Lent) starts to-day.

So my question is: Am I going to manage for three months not to touch that lonely bottle of Heineken that is hiding in my fridge?

Is there anybody in the room who can tell me at exactly what time the Khao Pansa starts to-day?

The Golden triangle is where Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar meet.

The Emerald triangle is where Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia meet.

Thanks for the info on those areas...had never heard the name Emerald Triangle..I'll try to keep that one in mind. From what I've read, it's best to avoid those areas unless you're with a tour group or somebody who knows their way. Lots of crazy stuff around the borders!

Dear Mr. PvtDick,

That's quite a list. It would have been much easier if you would have added the answers as well.

The Khao Pansa (Buddhist Lent) starts to-day.

So my question is: Am I going to manage for three months not to touch that lonely bottle of Heineken that is hiding in my fridge?

Is there anybody in the room who can tell me at exactly what time the Khao Pansa starts to-day?

Straight after you finish that lonely Heineken :o

Straight after you finish that lonely Heineken

It invited a lot of friends and now I have head-ache.

But next year! Believe me!