Adsl Troubleshooting

Prasert

Since many people struggle with their ADSL lines and the support from the ISPs is usually not great, I think the following should provide some more insight.

Splitter

The splitter is the first piece of hardware. The little box filters out all the jitter from your phone so it won't mess with the adsl frequency. The splitter box does not filter adsl frequencies!

If you have no phone on the same line, no filter is required. If you have 2 or more phones and you can't put the plitter before all the phones, put another filter before each phone.

The router is connected on your side of the phone line. On the other side of the line things are the same: a filter between your phone line and the PBX (= the telephone exchange which determines what your phone number is) and a straight connection into the DSLAM. The DSLAM is sort of a modem that provides the adsl signal to many phone lines and has a network connection on the other side for internet.

Circuit

Your router starts to pulse the line, making contact with the DSLAM. If you have set the right VPI/VCI numbers, this can take up to a minute, but usually it's only a few seconds. Once the connection has been established, the light on the router saying DSL or CD (=carrier detect) will lit up. (TOT uses VPI/VCI 1/32)

The local loop has been established.

If you call the support desk, they usually ask if the DSL light is lit. If this light remains off, it usually indicates a problem with the phone line. If you hear no dial tone from the phone, it's probably a line break.

This connection that has been established is an analogue signal. It can be good, average or bad. The quality of this signal is measured in decibel (dB) and several routers can display the signal strength - look for Noise margin or SNR / Signal to Noise Ratio.

If the value displayed is more than 10dB, the quality is fine.

If the value displayed is less than 4dB, you'll experience a lot of outages.

The signal quality is affected by several factors.

Generally two types of outdoor phone cable are used: lines with 0.6mm copper diameter and lines with 0.9mm copper diameter. The 0.6mm lines is much more susceptible to interference.

If the phone line hangs very close to a transformer (close = 2m), the interference will vary with the load of that transformer.

Phone line comes on rolls of 200m. Engineers tend to connect a new role by simply twisting the copper wires and sealing it off with pvc insulation tape. This connection will degrade rapidly, as the copper corrodes and gets wet eventually. A better connection is made by soldering the cables and sealing it off with rubber splicing tape, which ensures an air-tight and water-proof connection.

PPP

Once the circuit is up, your router will start to establish a PPP connection. This connection is made between your router and the CO-router of your ISP. This CO or Central Office is located between the DSLAM and the backbone of the ISP. If the PPP connection fails, there may be a problem with the network between the DSLAM and the CO - in this case nobody in your area will have a working internet connection.

Note: newer DSLAMs are able to handle the PPP connections as well now.

There are 2 flavours of PPP: PPPoA and PPPoE.

PPPoA means ppp-over-atm. This connection is usually faster, however not supported on all routers.

PPPoE means ppp-over-ethernet. This type is more flexible. The router can be configured to use PPPeE, but one can also configure the router to just bridge the adsl signal and configure the PPPoE connection on another router or your own computer (in the last case, your computer gets a public IP address).

PPP requires a user-id and a password, which are supplied by your ISP.

Once the PPP connection has been established, the internet light or PPP light on your router will lit up.

Example of a problem-adsl-line

This page is from a 3Com OfficeConnect router, displaying the ADSL status. This router has established a connection to the internet, but the signal quality is so poor (noise margin downstream is 1dB), that the actual speed is only 224k up and 544k down (this is a 512/1024 line).

Main reason: bad phone line from the DSLAM to this router.

Solution: TOT should install a brand new line.

Example of a good line:

This output is from a Cisco router, displaying the interface. The signal quality is good; more than 20dB up- and downstream, and the router does not have to amplify the signal too much (Attenuation). The speed is 512/2048.

When you call the helpdesk, they will aks you for the lights on your router. if you call TOT, they'll ask:

dsl light on?

internet light on?

Since you're calling them, you have a problem and one of the lights is probably off. Don't accept them calling you back (because they won't) but offer to hold the line while they check out what the problem is.

If they're unable to diagnose it, post it here. This forum will not be able to fix your problem, but many members here have a lot more knowledge than the Thai ISPs.

PPP: Point to Point Protocol

VPI/VCI TRUE: 1/100

Virtual Server/NAT:

for to use Virtual Server/NAT your PC('s) need to have a fixed IP. If the IP of the Router is: 192.168.1.1 than the 1. PC should be like: 192.168.1.3 and the following each need to have a different end number. The Subnet mask for 192.168.1.x is 255.255.255.0 and should be set on all PC's same. The Gateway IP is on all PC's 192.168.1.1

Virtual Servers are used for mainly for Port forwarding. If someone uses a Web Server, a Mail Server . a PC for to download Torrents and so on, the Port forwarding is a must because the incoming connection didn't know to where to connect and the router will direct the connection to the right PC.

The Web Server for example uses Port 80 and the Website is running on the PC with IP 192.168.1.13 so the the Virtual Server for the Website has to be set to: Beginning Port: 80, Ending Port 80 on IP: 192.168.1.13. The Beginning and the Ending Port is mainly the same number.

To set the Port forwarding is a question of security because only in and outbound connection to the opened ports are allowed. It's although a need if uses more than 1 connected PC!

• 11 months later...

Thanks for this post/info.

I have a troubleshooting question.

My ADSL connection works fine with the True-supplied ADSL modem, however, I went out and bought an Edimax Mimo Wireless ADSL2+ Router, because True's modem isn't wireless, allows for only 1 computer at a time, and the PPPoE connection is from the computer, not the modem.

I setup my modem, entering the VPI/VCI numbers (posts above), connection type, and my True username ("myname@truehisp") and password into the modem's admin screens, so that the modem/router would make the PPPoE connection and then just act as a router for my computers. After it didn't work originally, I played with the settings (swapping between ADSL2+, ADSL, etc... types and trying static IPs instead of dynamic), but still no go.

The admin logs for the modem consistently show the following errors, regardless of how I configure the modem:

Jan 1 00:11:59 localhost daemon.warn pppd[1021]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

Jan 1 00:11:59 localhost daemon.err pppd[1021]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery

I can swap back to the True-supplied modem and everything works fine, so I know there's no problem with the line or the physical configuration -- the problem must be with the modem, or how I've configured it (I suspect the latter, but I'm not sure what I'm missing).

The new modem's ADSL light is ON, but in the status page in the modem's admin pages, it shows a constant state of "connecting" (even after the errors show up in the logs). True never assigns an IP address, nor am I able to "ping" anything on the Internet.

Is anybody familiar with these specific errors? A google on them had some hits, but the answers didn't help much or apply to my country-specific situation.

I can paste modem config and status pages here (after disconnecting and swapping back to the new modem), if that'd be helpful.

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the new router is messing something up. Try setting the MTU size of the PPP link down to 1452.

Also check if you can produce more detailed logging information (PM it to me). There's two very specific parts in setting up the link - the first part is the link negotiation, best to leave the settings to automatic and let the DSLAM decide which modulation works best (usually G.DMT).

The second part is building up the PPP connection, which starts with sending LCP requests. Somehow these requests are not acknowledged by the ISP. Since it works from your computer, I'd say the line is okay and the problem is your new router. But the logging info should shed some light on that.

Example of establishing a normal PPP connection:

Sep 10 16:05:25.262 GMT: Vi1 LCP: O CONFREQ [Closed] id 1 len 10

Sep 10 16:05:25.266 GMT: Vi1 LCP: MagicNumber 0xCF413ADB (0x0506CF413ADB)

Sep 10 16:05:25.782 GMT: Vi1 LCP: I CONFREQ [REQsent] id 148 len 18

Sep 10 16:05:25.786 GMT: Vi1 LCP: MRU 1492 (0x010405D4)

Sep 10 16:05:25.786 GMT: Vi1 LCP: AuthProto PAP (0x0304C023)

Sep 10 16:05:25.786 GMT: Vi1 LCP: MagicNumber 0x30314244 (0x050630314244)

Sep 10 16:05:25.790 GMT: Vi1 LCP: O CONFNAK [REQsent] id 148 len 8

Sep 10 16:05:25.790 GMT: Vi1 LCP: MRU 1500 (0x010405DC)

Sep 10 16:05:25.794 GMT: Vi1 LCP: I CONFACK [REQsent] id 1 len 10

Sep 10 16:05:25.794 GMT: Vi1 LCP: MagicNumber 0xCF413ADB (0x0506CF413ADB)

Sep 10 16:05:26.310 GMT: Vi1 LCP: I CONFREQ [ACKrcvd] id 149 len 18

Sep 10 16:05:26.314 GMT: Vi1 LCP: MRU 1500 (0x010405DC)

Sep 10 16:05:26.314 GMT: Vi1 LCP: AuthProto PAP (0x0304C023)

Sep 10 16:05:26.314 GMT: Vi1 LCP: MagicNumber 0x30314244 (0x050630314244)

Sep 10 16:05:26.318 GMT: Vi1 LCP: O CONFACK [ACKrcvd] id 149 len 18

Sep 10 16:05:26.318 GMT: Vi1 LCP: MRU 1500 (0x010405DC)

Sep 10 16:05:26.322 GMT: Vi1 LCP: AuthProto PAP (0x0304C023)

Sep 10 16:05:26.322 GMT: Vi1 LCP: MagicNumber 0x30314244 (0x050630314244)

Sep 10 16:05:26.322 GMT: Vi1 LCP: State is Open

Sep 10 16:05:26.326 GMT: Vi1 PPP: Phase is AUTHENTICATING, by the peer

Sep 10 16:05:26.326 GMT: Vi1 PAP: Using hostname from interface PAP

Sep 10 16:05:26.330 GMT: Vi1 PAP: Using password from interface PAP

Sep 10 16:05:26.330 GMT: Vi1 PAP: O AUTH-REQ id 1 len 34 from "user@realm"

Sep 10 16:05:27.026 GMT: Vi1 PAP: I AUTH-ACK id 1 len 5

Sep 10 16:05:27.026 GMT: Vi1 PPP: Phase is FORWARDING, Attempting Forward

Sep 10 16:05:27.030 GMT: Vi1 PPP: Queue IPCP code[1] id[15]

Sep 10 16:05:27.030 GMT: Vi1 PPP: Phase is ESTABLISHING, Finish LCP

Sep 10 16:05:27.038 GMT: Vi1 PPP: Phase is UP

Sep 10 16:05:27.038 GMT: Vi1 IPCP: O CONFREQ [Closed] id 1 len 34

Sep 10 16:05:27.038 GMT: Vi1 IPCP: Address 0.0.0.0 (0x030600000000)

Sep 10 16:05:27.042 GMT: Vi1 IPCP: PrimaryDNS 0.0.0.0 (0x810600000000)

Sep 10 16:05:27.042 GMT: Vi1 IPCP: PrimaryWINS 0.0.0.0 (0x820600000000)

Sep 10 16:05:27.046 GMT: Vi1 IPCP: SecondaryDNS 0.0.0.0 (0x830600000000)

Sep 10 16:05:27.046 GMT: Vi1 IPCP: SecondaryWINS 0.0.0.0 (0x840600000000)

The logging info above will differ on your router, but should follow the same setup; first LCP (layer 2), then PPP completion after successful authentication, and IPCP to configure the IP address and DNS servers.

• 1 month later...

Maybe someday I'll understand this but I have two basic questions.

1) My modem currently does not allow more than one connection. How do I allow other connections?

2) How do I get an upgrade to the supplied modem? Does the service supplier offer up to date modems?

• 2 weeks later...

Been very busy lately, so not daily on TV.

Maybe someday I'll understand this but I have two basic questions.

1) My modem currently does not allow more than one connection. How do I allow other connections?

You only need one ppp connection, which will provide 1 public IP address. If the router handles the ppp connection, it will use NAT to allow multiple computers to use this connection.

If you use a bridged configuration, you proably have a ppp connection from your computer. You can only use the internet from your computer this way (without additional configuration).

2) How do I get an upgrade to the supplied modem? Does the service supplier offer up to date modems?

Check the website of the manufacturer. If there's a firmware upgrade and it's worth upgrading (to eliminate bugs in the current one or to provide new functionality), download it and upgrade the router.

The answers may probably not answer the questions you really have. If so, be more specific please.

Networking is not an easy subject and requires at least basic knowledge of TCP/IP - although most routers have a webbased setup that do all the technical work required.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running a TP-Link ADSL+2 router on a MaxNet 2048/1024 connection to a ToT line.

My ADSL line's SNR (signal to noise ratio) shows an average of 30dB downstream, but typically only 7dB upstream.

The two-year-old 0.9mm phone line has been checked and rechecked, and apart from a minor background hum from nearby high-voltage lines, I can't see any problem between my router and the junction box on the main road (600m).

However, upload speed to servers outside Thailand are generally x5 slower than I expect. Could the low upstream SNR have something to do with the slow upload speed? If so, why is this problem only present beyond Thailand, and what can I do about it?

Speed test to Bangkok server:

356255352.png

To USA:

356256339.png

Europe:

356259131.png

jose '-)

The difference between domestic and international upload speeds has nothing to do with your adsl line. More likely international traffic is shaped.

I've thought as much - thanks.

Of course, MaxNet support refuses to acknowledge that they shape upload speeds o/seas...

• 1 month later...
Looks like the new router is messing something up. Try setting the MTU size of the PPP link down to 1452.

Also check if you can produce more detailed logging information (PM it to me). There's two very specific parts in setting up the link - the first part is the link negotiation, best to leave the settings to automatic and let the DSLAM decide which modulation works best (usually G.DMT).

The second part is building up the PPP connection, which starts with sending LCP requests. Somehow these requests are not acknowledged by the ISP. Since it works from your computer, I'd say the line is okay and the problem is your new router. But the logging info should shed some light on that.

The logging info above will differ on your router, but should follow the same setup; first LCP (layer 2), then PPP completion after successful authentication, and IPCP to configure the IP address and DNS servers.

Thanks for the reply. It's been a while since I looked at this (I've been making do with alternatives), but I'd like to start the new year off with this working.

I tried from scratch -- reset the factory settings and started over. The situation is the same: line still works (can get my ADSL/PPPoE connection working with the modem provided by True), but not with my modem. I've tried VPI/VCI settings of both 1/100 (True) and 1/32 (TOT), since I'm not really sure who's providing the service (bill comes from TOT, modem & login info show "True"), but neither works.

I'm quoting the log below (wasn't that long). I'm also putting screenshots of the configuration here http://picasaweb.google.com/acassidy/PppIssue# Thanks for any further assistance you can provide. Oh -- I couldn't find a place to set "MTU size."

Jan 1 00:00:23 localhost user.info kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating

Jan 1 00:00:23 localhost user.warn kernel: atmsvc: no signaling demon

Jan 1 00:00:24 localhost local0.info udhcpd[662]: udhcpd (v0.9.9-pre) started

Jan 1 00:00:30 localhost daemon.info init: ^MStarting pid 924, console /dev/ttyS0: '/sbin/getty'

Jan 1 00:00:32 localhost local0.info RFC1483/2684 bridge: Interface "nas1" created sucessfully

Jan 1 00:00:32 localhost local0.info RFC1483/2684 bridge: Communicating over ATM 0.1.32, encapsulation: LLC

Jan 1 00:00:32 localhost local0.info RFC1483/2684 bridge: Interface configured

Jan 1 00:00:32 localhost local0.info RFC1483/2684 bridge: RFC 1483/2684 bridge daemon started

Jan 1 00:00:34 localhost daemon.info pppd[1020]: Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/rp-pppoe.so loaded.

Jan 1 00:00:34 localhost daemon.info pppd[1020]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.2

Jan 1 00:00:34 localhost local0.info udhcpd[687]: sending OFFER of 192.168.2.2

Jan 1 00:00:34 localhost local0.info udhcpd[687]: sending ACK to 192.168.2.2

Jan 1 00:00:35 localhost daemon.notice pppd[1021]: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0

Jan 1 00:01:10 localhost daemon.warn pppd[1021]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

Jan 1 00:01:10 localhost daemon.err pppd[1021]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery

Jan 1 00:02:09 localhost local0.info udhcpd[687]: Received a SIGUSR1

Jan 1 00:02:15 localhost daemon.warn pppd[1021]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

Jan 1 00:02:15 localhost daemon.err pppd[1021]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery

Jan 1 00:03:20 localhost daemon.warn pppd[1021]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

Jan 1 00:03:20 localhost daemon.err pppd[1021]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery

• 2 weeks later...

Still the same problem: it looks like your router does not send a proper PADI packet, and then waits for a PADO packet. Eventually the process times out.

A bit further explained:

after the dsl link has been established, the router has to connect to a box that will handle the PPPoE session. This is usually not the DSLAM, but a router located behind the DSLAM. This router, the LAC or Local Access Concentrator, constantly listens for PADI packets (PPPoE Active Discovery Initiation). Once received, it will send back a PADO packet (PPPoE Active Discovery Offer). Once the offer has been received, the PPPoE setup will continue over this LAC-router.

Note: these packets are not sent to IP addresses, but broadcasted over the dsl link (OSI layer 2). The lines in your log containing [687] are not related to the PPPoE setup.

Since the setup does work straight from your computer, I guess the problem is in the router firmware.

The VPI/VCI circuit number is only important for the DSL link between your router and the DSLAM. Since this circuit comes up with the 1/32 setting, you don't need to look further into this.

My suggestion: upgrade the firmware or get a different router.

My suggestion: upgrade the firmware or get a different router.

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the latest firmware and applied it via the router's admin pages, but that didn't seem to change a thing.

I was already leaning the route of getting a new router. So... any suggestions on which?

The store near my place sells the Tactio Altera-04 for 1640B, and the TP-Link TD-W8901G (price not displayed at store). Should I expand the search, or are the nearby store's routers likely to do the trick?

I'm not looking for anything fancy... 1 computer connected via ethernet cable and 2 laptops via wireless.

• 3 weeks later...

ok .. was wondering if i could possibly get help figuring out what exactly is wrong with my internet.

ever since the fire at Catele's place my router settings got reset and they sent out a technician to configure it i've been having disconnect problems. my internet is ridiculously unstable and i have trouble staying online for more than one hour at a time.

i'm using a ZyXEL p660h-t1 v2 . appears to have latest firmware

they've got me using ppoe with LLC mtu = 1492 vpi = 0 vci = 35 (dont know what exactly those do or if their correct)

dsl status on router says-

noise margin upstream: 13 db

output power downstream: 17 db

attenuation upstream: 6 db

noise margin downstream: 42 db

output power upstream: 10 db

attenuation downstream: 17 db

any other details that might help in diagnosing my problem ?

erm .. internet connection is near pattaya (not sure of my address sorry) and isp = catele. supposedly i've got the 2mb download package but i'll believe that when i get anywhere close to 2mb :o

The values are okay and they don't seem to be a problem.

In your router, go to Maintenance -> logs, goto the 2nd tab and enable all checkboxes under Active Log and Alert.

Once the problems start again, have a look at the logs and determine if the problem is on the dsl link or the PPPoE connection.

If the line was damaged by fire, e.g. the insulation, problems can show up during rain (water drops influence the signal) or wind (shortcuts)

ok .. sorry for slow response. i kept the logs for today and it kept going off and on a little. apologies that its spamlike but didnt know how to contain the log and didnt want to force people to download a .txt to read or link to offsite. the following seems to repeat constantly every few minutes

11702/09/2009 12:56:50board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 733, C02 OutCall Connected 51200 CALL DETAIL RECORD 11802/09/2009 12:56:44Packet Trigger: Protocol=1, Data=Packet Trigger: Protocol=1, Da PACKET TRIGGER 11902/09/2009 12:56:44board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 733, C01 Outgoing Call dev=6 ch= CALL DETAIL RECORD 12002/09/2009 12:56:44board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 732, C02 Call Terminated CALL DETAIL RECORD 12102/09/2009 12:56:44ppp:LCP Closing 12202/09/2009 12:56:44ppp:CHAP Shutdown 12302/09/2009 12:56:29ppp:LCP Opening 12402/09/2009 12:56:28ppp:LCP Starting

previous to that log i thought the issue lied with my routers dealing of NAT issues.

i'd had a few logs that made out the error was due to the "Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User" setting

originally it was at 256 but i've now taken it up to 2048 .. in the short term it helped me but after about an hour the problems came back and i still had my router telling me it was an error to do with that.. i gathered it was because the router wasnt refreshing when a connection dropped so it was just building up then cutting off or something =/ will post exact wording when i see the error again.

Edited by SpoonZie

Tried to reproduce your problem, but unfortunately the logs are not quite clear.

First log is from what happens when only the PPP connection is terminated on the ISP side.

The second log is from what happens if the DSL link goes down and comes up again.

The difference is that in the 2nd log you see incoming call which I think is the establishment of the dsl link.

Also, there's a double call terminated line in the log when the dsl link goes down.

Same thing is visible in your log, which makes me think that the problem is on the actual phone line.

Despite the good values for signal strength there's still a line problem, but I'm not sure what causes it.

managed to replicate the other problem i mentioned .. 70% sure this one isnt line related.post-75337-1234246625_thumb.jpg

after my internet seemed to completely die on me yesterday it went back to being perfect . no disconnects or anything, left the pc on overnight and as soon as i start using the internet this afternoon it started dying. just up'd the max clients thing to 2048 instead of 1024 and thats kept it stable for now but not looking forward to the disconnect spree that comes :<

a full router factory reset fixes the issue temporarily but wish i knew how to get it to start clearing the thing ..

i've found a thread on http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,6604159 that tells me to do

ip nat timeout generic 120

which i've done and the reply i'm getting in my command thing is udp .. going to give doing it via router telnet thingy a try

Edited by SpoonZie

It's might be annoying, but a limit of 200 connections or sessions per host is a very good restriction which will prevent the router from locking up due to too high processor load and memory usage.

A normal website request uses 1 session to send the request and receives the answer over the same session. Download accelerators speed up downloads by opening more sessions, where each session downloads a part of the file.

Bittorrent just keeps opening sessions until either the line is flooded or the router can't handle it anymore. And that's the moment when your router will also give up on other traffic like websurfing; each session needs it's own entry in the NAT table (taking up memory), and each session needs its packet IP adresses to be translated (using processor time).

There's an end to every routers capabilities - a cheap 2500 baht router will reach this limit sooner than a real router.

The solution for this problem is in your torrent client; limit the number of concurrent sessions it is allowed to build up for all active torrents.

• 1 month later...

Need some help.

I've got Maxnet Premier package broadband. General use is fine, no buffering on streamed media etc. However I cannot use my FTP program to upload files to my server. I can download no problem but uploading just stops.

I use a net based FTP program which is fine.

Any ideas anyone..??

• 2 weeks later...
Need some help.

I've got Maxnet Premier package broadband. General use is fine, no buffering on streamed media etc. However I cannot use my FTP program to upload files to my server. I can download no problem but uploading just stops.

Any ideas anyone..??

I guess you're already using passive ftp as downloading is no problem. Characteristic of passive ftp is that it uses a data connection from a high-tcp-portnumber to a high-tcp-portnumber, and these portnumber are negotiated in the control connection (to port 21 on the server).

peer2peer also uses portnumbers > 1024 for connections. Some ISPs limit these connections through trafficshaping. Normally p2p uses mainly udp connections, but if they shape all high-port to high-port connections, your ftp connection is treated the same way as p2p - shaped and limited.

But that's only my guess .....

Need some help.

Any ideas anyone..??

I guess you're already using passive ftp as downloading is no problem. Characteristic of passive ftp is that it uses a data connection from a high-tcp-portnumber to a high-tcp-portnumber, and these portnumber are negotiated in the control connection (to port 21 on the server).

peer2peer also uses portnumbers > 1024 for connections. Some ISPs limit these connections through trafficshaping. Normally p2p uses mainly udp connections, but if they shape all high-port to high-port connections, your ftp connection is treated the same way as p2p - shaped and limited.

But that's only my guess .....

Solution..???