Good Solicitor Needed In Chiang Mai

lor

Will be in Chiang Mai in a couple of weeks and I need a good trustworthy solicitor to handle the purchase of some lansd. Looking at the advice on this forum I want to first purchase the land in either my wife's or her sister's name and at the same time give me a 30 year lease prepaid for another 2 renewals (giving me 90 years altogether)

All the advice says get a trustworthy solicitor but not living there yet I have to rely on your recomendations. Also anyone know what type of fees I am looking at.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Heaton

[email protected]

Having done it here in Chiang Mai with an attorney, I would use Sunbelt Asia's services, not only for price but competance.

With the cost of air travel so low now between BKK and CNX, it makes no sense to rely on locals when professionals with English language forms are available in BKK. They may even send someone up for the recording.

See them on this fourm, they advertise.

I recommend ICO...

ICO Builing, 299 M. 2, T. Sanpanath, A. Sansai,

Chiangmai 50210, Thailand

Telephone: 0-5335-1414

Fax: 0-5335-1413

They are much cheaper than Sunbelt and seem to get things done a lot quicker (so i'm told). They are also based IN Chiang Mai and thus familiar with staff at most of the gov. offices here.

Thanks for the recomendations.

Will try the two based in Chiang Mai. My wife is now complaining about me going to Thailand by myself to finalise this deal. She does not trust me alone. Do you think it wil be possible to do this deal via email and fax? I have already seen the land and the people we are buying from are family.

Chris

Thanks for the recomendations.

Will try the two based in Chiang Mai. My wife is now complaining about me going to Thailand by myself to finalise this deal. She does not trust me alone. Do you think it wil be possible to do this deal via email and fax? I have already seen the land and the people we are buying from are family.

Chris

Think you would be well advised to be here.

Maybe be legally required but not 100% on that one.

If you wife does not trust you that is another issue :o

CT

Having done it here in Chiang Mai with an attorney, I would use Sunbelt Asia's services, not only for price but competance.

With the cost of air travel so low now between BKK and CNX, it makes no sense to rely on locals when professionals with English language forms are available in BKK. They may even send someone up for the recording.

See them on this fourm, they advertise.

Sunbelt Office Chiang Mai

8/3 Prapoklao Soi 7

Prasing Muang Chiang Mai

053-283845 -Robert or Gar

Thinking of going with Sunbelt Asia Chiang Mai after receiving an e-mail from Robert, but the phone number in his e-mail does not match the one on the Sunbelt Asia Chiang Mai website, and the e-mail address is just a standard MSN one, not the sunbeltasia one. Does not inspire confidence, but if anyone can vouch for them then I will go with them. Tried to contact khun pipat but he is never in the office and the girl there speaks only a little English. She gave me an e-mail address but even though I asked her to repeat it three times it still bounces as wrong address.

Chris

I recommend ICO...

ICO Builing, 299 M. 2, T. Sanpanath, A. Sansai,

Chiangmai 50210, Thailand

Telephone: 0-5335-1414

Fax: 0-5335-1413

Chris Heaton

If you have not already made other arrangements, I too would recommend ICO. I have utilized their services for about 4 years and can recommend them highly.

They have no difficulty with English and are very locally connected. I would suggest asking for Khun "Tho" or his wife Khun "Aoy" Should you have interest in calling, I would add, in addition to the already stated numbers, a cell phone number. As you may be calling from the abroad, 011-66-1951-1100.

Good Luck on your move to Thailand. :o

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in my previose post I was not sure about Sunbelt Asia Chiang Mai as the details they e-mailed me did not match the details on the web site also when I e-mailed the address on the web site I got no reply, I phoned the number and was told he did not live there anymore! The e-mail address they were using was a generic MSN one not a dot com as advertised on the website and they did not accept credit card payments. So I tried the other company which was recomended ICO and I am very glad I did!!!

Great Service and without stating prices I can say it the fee was only 1/5th of the Sun Belt Asia price!!!!

Once the purchase and lease has been completed I will post how I got on.

Chris

Seems to be a certain amount of confusion.

You want to put it in wife's or sisters name (Thai I take it), and then want to get 30+ 30 year lease?

I think you will either put it in wife's or sisters name OR get a 30+30+30 renewable lease with you as the lessee. One of the few ways you will ever get your name on a "deed" here in Thailand

Try Khun Wechaya at [email protected] , based in Chiangmai, does legal work for a couple of embassies in addition to his general practice.

Ask him to provide you with a copy of dual language "Land Lease Agreement", English and Thai. And go from there.

You want to put it in wife's or sisters name (Thai I take it), and then want to get 30+ 30 year lease?

I think you will either put it in wife's or sisters name OR get a 30+30+30 renewable lease with you as the lessee.

I would think he means to put the ownership in his wifes name rather than the current owner AND then lease the property in his name, or jointly with the wife, for 30+30 from the wife.

I think you will either put it in wife's or sisters name OR get a 30+30+30 renewable lease with you as the lessee.

I would think he means to put the ownership in his wifes name rather than the current owner AND then lease the property in his name, or jointly with the wife, for 30+30 from the wife.

Put the property in his wife's name and then lease from her :o

Yes that is exactly what I am doing. The land will belong to my wife (Who is Thai) and she will lease it to me for 90 years (Initial 30 plus 2 prepaid renewals = 90 years). The clauses in the lease will say if law changes in 90 years property will become jointly owned between my wife and myself, If I were to die the lease would become the property of my children (i English and 1 Thai), and finaly if the lease is broken a fine of 5 Million baht is to be paid.

That last bit is not because I do not trust my wife but She is Thai and has a very Hot Heart. If I glance at too many young Thai ladies she could get paranoid and just say get out, so I need some protection as evrything I own will be going into the land and new house which we will be building on it.

Chris

Yes that is exactly what I am doing. The land will belong to my wife (Who is Thai) and she will lease it to me for 90 years (Initial 30 plus 2 prepaid renewals = 90 years). The clauses in the lease will say if law changes in 90 years property will become jointly owned between my wife and myself, If I were to die the lease would become the property of my children (i English and 1 Thai), and finaly if the lease is broken a fine of 5 Million baht is to be paid.

That last bit is not because I do not trust my wife but She is Thai and has a very Hot Heart. If I glance at too many young Thai ladies she could get paranoid and just say get out, so I need some protection as evrything I own will be going into the land and new house which we will be building on it.

Chris

Sorry Chris I misunderstood. :o

Without doubt the best way for any foreigner married to a thai to "buy" property and the , "if the law changes " clause is a big deal.

Good luck

• 4 months later...

Chris

Chris, could you update us now, good lawyer or not? :o

• 1 month later...
Will be in Chiang Mai in a couple of weeks and I need a good trustworthy solicitor to handle the purchase of some lansd. Looking at the advice on this forum I want to first purchase the land in either my wife's or her sister's name and at the same time give me a 30 year lease prepaid for another 2 renewals (giving me 90 years altogether)

All the advice says get a trustworthy solicitor but not living there yet I have to rely on your recomendations. Also anyone know what type of fees I am looking at.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Heaton

[email protected]

Chris, My experience is that you cannot rely on anyone however close and trusted to "own" your land for you. Early last year I thought I had bought a pleasant two rai land lot near Chiang Mai but by the time I had cleared the land and prepared it for planning and development I was given all sorts of reasons by my English sister and her Thai husband why they would have to take over the land. For one thing the local people apparently didn't like the presence of farangs and my sister and brother-in-law said they were very sensitive to such complaints. They also considered it a major and relevant issue that they did not like my travelling companion. They also claimed that they had had to sign some legal form saying that foreign funds had not been used in the purchase when in fact this was not the case. Whatever the pretext you end up screwed. I am building a website with all the details etc to save other people from this sort of experience.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Heaton

[email protected]