Over 100 Thai Women File For Divorce With Foreign Husbands In Khon Kaen In 3 Months

MISTERBONK

Over 100 Thai women file for divorce with foreign husbands in Khon Kaen in 3 months

Khon Kaen - A total of 142 divorce cases were sent to the Khon Kaen Civil Court in just three months, most of them involving with Thai women seeking divorce from their western husbands, a senior judge said Saturday.

Patikorn Khonpipit, chief justice of the Juvenile and Family Court in Khon Kaen, said the divorce cases reached the court during July 1 to September 30.

He said most of the cases were filed by Thai women who wanted to get divorce from their foreign husbands.

The judge said Khon Kaen was one of the provinces with a lot of Thai women getting married with foreigners and many of them became disillusioned later so they filed for divorce.

The Nation

Having just read this article in The Nation, I am rather sceptical. A court case with lawyers fees runs to some 50/60.000bt. I doubt more than a dozen women would pay this much let alone 100+ within 3 months. far more likely to be western husbands wanting to divorce their errant Thai wives.

"Over 100 Thai women file for divorce with foreign husbands in Khon Kaen in 3 months

Khon Kaen - A total of 142 divorce cases were sent to the Khon Kaen Civil Court in just three months, most of them involving with Thai women seeking divorce from their western husbands, a senior judge said Saturday.

Patikorn Khonpipit, chief justice of the Juvenile and Family Court in Khon Kaen, said the divorce cases reached the court during July 1 to September 30.

He said most of the cases were filed by Thai women who wanted to get divorce from their foreign husbands.

The judge said Khon Kaen was one of the provinces with a lot of Thai women getting married with foreigners and many of them became disillusioned later so they filed for divorce.

The Nation"

"Over 100 Thai women file for divorce with foreign husbands in Khon Kaen in 3 months

The Nation"

All Thais think farangs are wealthy. We try to tell them that this is NOT the case but they don't believe us. After marriage they find out that their rich farang husband is actually destitute and they feel that they have been cheated. A poor farang is useless so they want us to be on our way.

I guess it could be a rude awakening to find out we live differently then we vacation.

I know in the area where I live my Thai neighbors have the same things I have I'm nothing unusual here and I like it that way.

A bit more from the khon Kean story....

Quote:

The judge could give no reason for the recent turning away from foreign husbands who have been sought after by women from this relatively deprived region for the last several decades.

He speculated that Thai girls had unreasonable expectations of a superior lifestyle and high incomes when they married foreign men - only to become sharply disillusioned quite quickly. Few Thais nowadays live in abject poverty.

There are no reliable statistics for the number of Thai women marrying foreigners with many marriages not registered in Thailand, but it seems likely to be quite high. Many of the single men who visit Thailand's notoriously raunchy nightlife zones come away with a girl in tow.

More respectable women are finding it easy to link up with lonely foreigners thanks to a plenitude of internet dating sites where girls who can hardly speak English can connect with men hoping to find an "exotic" Thai partner.

In Roi Et province, next to Khon Kaen, there is a "Swiss Village" so called because more than 100 women there have married foreign men, with already married girls introducing others.

A couple of years ago the National Economic and Social Development Board discovered that 15,284 women in the sprawling north-eastern region were married to foreigners and live overseas, which prompted the economic think tank to promote the idea that foreign-married girls could help channel investment back to Thailand.

The latest news suggests either that many country girls think they have already received sufficient investment or are no longer prepared to pay the price of an unsatisfactory marriage.

Edited by ray23

I have had many friends ask me how much it costs to live in Thailand. I always start out by telling them that when they are in holiday mode it is VERY expensive. Then I tell them that most guys, once they are actually living here quickly fall into the expat mode of living and that is MUCH cheaper. Unfortunately the bar girls see the tourists in holiday mode and think that it will always be that way. Expats have a much better chance of finding a good wife than the tourists who fall in love on a two week holiday.

Ray, I have to tell you something. You have met my wife and I think you know we get along pretty well. She yells at me sometimes and I yell back but I don't yell too much because she is normally right. After four years of living with her I got a great surprise. Just today she told me that she loves me. The past month she has been extra affectionate. I have noticed it and it has been even better than normal but she has NEVER before told me she loved me. Life is good!

Quote:

She yells at me sometimes and I yell back but I don't yell too much because she is normally right. After four years of living with her I got a great surprise. Just today she told me that she loves me. The past month she has been extra affectionate. I have noticed it and it has been even better than normal but she has NEVER before told me she loved me. Life is good!-Quote

Sounds nice Gary!

In addition to our small resort and restaurant, my wife is busy growing all kinds of fruits and veggies.

Now and then, she gives me a few 1000 baht, and tells me to save, so I can go back to Norway and visit my old parents next year. :o:D

Ray, I have to tell you something. You have met my wife and I think you know we get along pretty well. She yells at me sometimes and I yell back but I don't yell too much because she is normally right. After four years of living with her I got a great surprise. Just today she told me that she loves me. The past month she has been extra affectionate. I have noticed it and it has been even better than normal but she has NEVER before told me she loved me. Life is good!

I am a bit stunned by that to be honest Gary :o

She has never told you that she loves you before? Well different lifestyle for different people I suppose. I have been married for 11 years and daily we reciprocate, honestly, about this, because I do.

I have, to generalise I agree, found most people in Issan to be so "Heart on their sleeve", honest and say what they think, that its almost embarrassing.

It must be the "cold" weather up Loei way.. go on... give her a kiss and tell her you love her... it works wonders :D

If you want to go to Court for divorce, meaning you don't have a mutual consent for divorce, you must base your action on one of the ten grounds to divorce. (section 1516 of the Civil Code)

One of them is adultery, another is that one spouse has deserted for more than one year, another one is separation for 3 years, another is serious harm or torture... etc. I find it very hard to believe that so much divorce cases were filled in KK...but maybe!

You can't divorce only because you want to. You must have a ground (1516) or do it by mutual consent (1514).

What it really means is that future marriages in Khon Kaen will probably go up by a factor of 2.

Firstly, those newly divorced and usually somewhat wealthier women are now free to marry their Thai boyfriends.

Secondly, those women who missed out on a falang durung the first round get another go at landing their future financial security, er...I mean loving husband.

She has never told you that she loves you before? Well different lifestyle for different people I suppose. I have been married for 11 years and daily we reciprocate, honestly, about this, because I do.

I have, to generalise I agree, found most people in Issan to be so "Heart on their sleeve", honest and say what they think, that its almost embarrassing.

It must be the "cold" weather up Loei way.. go on... give her a kiss and tell her you love her... it works wonders :D

I was a bit shocked when we first went to visit her folks. She had not seen them for 8 or 9 months. I expected everyone to be hugging, happy and excited. NOTHING! Just hellos like they had seen each other the day before. My mother and father never showed much affection to each other around us kids either. I'm happy to say that my wife shows more affection every year. I think it was just something she had never seen before and has now decided that is is a pleasant thing. We actually play grab ass quite a bit. If anyone could see us they would think this old man has lost his senses. It's fun so why not?

I was a bit shocked when we first went to visit her folks. She had not seen them for 8 or 9 months. I expected everyone to be hugging, happy and excited. NOTHING! Just hellos like they had seen each other the day before. My mother and father never showed much affection to each other around us kids either. I'm happy to say that my wife shows more affection every year. I think it was just something she had never seen before and has now decided that is is a pleasant thing. We actually play grab ass quite a bit. If anyone could see us they would think this old man has lost his senses. It's fun so why not?

actually your story is quite normal. as for the four years part of it, some take longer than others to westernize but the family greeting thing is very comon.