Foreign Backpackers Deny They're Bed Bug Spreaders

george

Foreign backpackers deny they're bed bug spreaders

Foreign backpackers say they are disgusted by bed bugs, but even more disgusted by the suggestion they are the ones carrying the insects onto trains. Many foreign backpackers waiting for trains at Hua Lampong station yesterday conceded they knew little about bed bug infestations on trains.

They said the thought of bed bugs crawling on the velvety seats of long-haul trains and biting passengers while they dozed off was truly off-putting.

But to be accused of carrying the blood-sucking bugs on ... [... more]

--Bangkok Post 2008-03-15

Sawittee Malaipan, an entomologist at Kasetsart University, said some foreigners, including refugees and tourists, did not like to take baths and so they attracted the insects.
Transport Minister Santi Prompat said yesterday the bugs may have jumped onto travellers' backpacks during forest treks and then found new homes in the cosy seats of the trains.

these are very worrying comments , they reveal a deep ingrained dislike of all things foreign.

that {a} a thai academic and a thai government minister can actually say such things , {b} that their insulting statements remained unchallenged by the reporter and {c} thailands no.1. english language newspaper actually printed them tells you all you need to know about the perception that so many "educated" thais still have of foreigners visiting this country and of a system of education where everything is accepted at face value and nothing is ever questioned.

again , these comments should be splashed over the press in the countries that send the millions of tourists here.

disgusting and insulting attitudes from people who , when insulted themselves , can justify brutal beatings and murder.

welcome to thailand ? ...... my ar5e.

as another poster said on another thread the other day

"this country is getting creepier by the minute."

Edited by taxexile

Taxexile you are spot on with that.

The whole thing is disgusting, although we had a good laugh about it last night in the pub, it really does say a lot about the moronic mindset of some of the supposed educated and influential people here.

As for the Bangkok post printing it, it's hardly suprising considering the crap standards that they mainatain.

So the study of entomology now makes one an expert on personal hygiene.

Will Thais ever realise how foolish they appear when they make such statements, the Transport Minister included.

I sometimes think that the translation into English must be incorrect for surely no rational people with even moderate intelligence could make such ridiculous statements. But the frequency that such statements are made and the wide variety of people they are attributed to leads me to think otherwise.

So the study of entomology now makes one an expert on personal hygiene.

Will Thais ever realise how foolish they appear when they make such statements, the Transport Minister included.

I sometimes think that the translation into English must be incorrect for surely no rational people with even moderate intelligence could make such ridiculous statements. But the frequency that such statements are made and the wide variety of people they are attributed to leads me to think otherwise.

Kasetsart University gathers wisdom and knowledge, creates and develops varied bodies of knowledge, and forms people who are intelligent, who think rationally, who behave morally, who are conscious of the common good, and who produce high standard work capable of competing in the world market.

:o:D :D :D :D

When I was a backpacker in Thailand in 1989 I never washed.

I really didn't have the time to while I was spreading prostitution, fast food, corruption, currency speculation....

It was very easy as the innocent Thais were so gullible and trusting.

Many passengers on the Daewoo diesel trains on some northeastern lines have complained about bed bug bites.

I didn't realize that the Isaan area was a major tourist destination for backpackers.

I saw this briefly in the Thai newspaper and could have sworn the original article was about the Sprinter train and it was at Phitsanuloke (on the Northern line).

Very rarely I take the train but have noticed 2 things - tourists always take the sleeper (as do I ) unless fully booked.

Sprinter is incredibly dirty.

I had to take the sprinter once last year as there was no other options, flights booked, sleeper booked. I hadn't used the sprinter service for about around 5yrs I guess, the one thing that struck me was how incredibly dirty it had become.

I am by no means fussy and there's a difference between old and worn and just plain dirty!

So maybe if they cleaned it would help.

I do hope that the powers that be understand that bed bugs usually aren't carried on the body. They are carried usually in the luggage (or backpack) most frequently. They would have been 'picked-up' from places where people stay, such as hotels and guest houses.

It is a big problem world wide. Some time back there was a report about infestations in Australia and the US--including some rather highly rated hotels.

Public transport, such as trains, need to be routinely completely disinfected and cleaned. And these nasty little creatures are particularly hard to get rid of.

I really didn't have the time to while I was spreading prostitution, fast food, corruption, currency speculation....

:o

Unfortunately, I had the "privilege" of working with some of those "academics" at Kasetsart, and luckily for me the experience convinced me to return home. :D

I am not at all surprised at the xenophobic and ignorant comments based on fear and unchallenged hatred of others, from "highly educated" people in Thailand.

I frequently see my sister-in-law going after lice on her daughters head.... I probably see her doing this at least once a day. I cringe inside when I see this.

I never knew I was to blame for this?

Ignorance is no excuse - go take a baht (sorry bath) - nobody takes baht from thais!

As a reg vistor to L.O.S, I have stayed at backpackers allover the place, many different areas of Bangers, Chiang Mai, and ditto on Phuket.

Bedbugs, I have never encountered.

Kuala Lumpur was my first experience with the bkighters.

Second time, was on a flight from BWN to BKK, a brand new A320 of Royal Brunei.

In KL, I was bitten raw on my back.

On the A320, I awoke to find one arm covered with red welts.

NO bedbugs in Thailand, or the Thai variety do NOT like me.........LOL

As for backpackers being unclean, not in my experience of dorms and such, not true of 99%

Edited by Zpete

After 18 years in SE Asia the only time I can definitely say I was bitten by 'bed bugs' was in the Business class - Skywards lounge in Colombo Airport. This happened about 2 months ago and when I squashed one of the little buggers I smeared (my) blood over my arm.

The fabric covered armchairs were/are infested with bugs. Doubt if many backpackers travel business class or are Skywards Gold card holders!

C'mon guys, its vegas, he's admitted to it, so it must be him. He must have been riding the trains non-stop in order to spread bedbugs singlehandedly :o

C'mon guys, its vegas, he's admitted to it, so it must be him. He must have been riding the trains non-stop in order to spread bedbugs singlehandedly :o

I take responsibility for everything. What an interesting notion in Thailand. Maybe it'll catch on?