Backpacking In Phuket

carrick_fullerton

Hi,

Im going over to Thailand in 2 weeks and stopping for a few days in Phuket before meeting up with mates in Bangkok. Just wondering if anyone knows much about the backpacking scene in Patong beach! also is it common for people to travel there by themselves, as i will be doing. Also any recommendations on a good, cheap and central place to stay would be good..

Cheers

By backpacking scene, I'll assume you mean travelling for longer than average times with all your gear in a backpack.

(rather than the hiking/camping type of backpacking that is what they call trekking also)

If that's what you mean, there's not a lot of those travellers on Phuket although of course they come and check it out.

They head over to Ko Pranghan (sp?) & Ko Toh and Krabi areas.

Here the average traveller is more of the suitcase crowd, a bit older, and more into their beer and lady bars than the beach parties and bamboo huts.

I see them arriving in Phuket town and they seem to congregate around the old, center part of town around the On On hotel which is the cheapest in town i believe.

I've seen some up around Nai Yang beach also.

There is some camping up that way that is great. Just go to the north end of Nai Yang and you can set up a tent. Nice spot.

I have been backpacking into Phuket for over 4 years now.

Lotsa backpackers places in Patong.

I usually stay in Chalong.

Check this site, lotsa options.

This one has NO BOOKING FEE. The one I use mostly............http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/thailand/phuket/

Both have in the main, the same places.

http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php?Ch...ountry=Thailand

No problems with accommodations, just make sure you get someplace near Bangla Rd, the place to be at nite.

The Youth Hostel is in Chalong, miles from anywhere.

I have stayed there a few times because it suits me to have a break from the wild life. Also I have family in Chalong.

Do not get the idea there are NOT MANY backpackers in Patong, noway is it a quiet family place.

How are set for Bangers, booked a place yet?

I once stayed at the Thai Oriental Inn, centrally located in Patong, which has a few backpacker dorms for a good price. Free internet, helpful staff, decent location, but other than that, nothing to write home about. Cheapest place to stay in Patong though, as far as I know.

But the Phuket Backpacker Hostel in Phuket Town is much larger and has a "scene" so to speak of. Although I found the scene to be most unenjoyable for the most part personally, the staff is quite helpful and the facilities themselves are squeaky clean and a bargain, in my opinion. The buses to various places around the island stop practically right in front of the hostel, so it's a good location.

Both of these are easy to find on google.

There aren't that many backpackers in Phuket as such, although there are a few and plenty of young holidaymakers to get to know. Best places to drink and meet these types of people are probably the Aussie Bar on Bangla and the Irish bar next to it.

In terms of accommodation (and still thinking in terms of Patong), there is a new hostel on Soi Banzaan (behind Jungceylon centre) that charges 300b a night. Phuket town is probably your best bet if you genuinely want to meet backpackers. Personally, I'd get a decent room in a guesthouse on a good beach and forget about trying to meet travellers, but I am anti-social.

There aren't that many backpackers in Phuket as such, although there are a few and plenty of young holidaymakers to get to know. Best places to drink and meet these types of people are probably the Aussie Bar on Bangla and the Irish bar next to it.

In terms of accommodation (and still thinking in terms of Patong), there is a new hostel on Soi Banzaan (behind Jungceylon centre) that charges 300b a night. Phuket town is probably your best bet if you genuinely want to meet backpackers. Personally, I'd get a decent room in a guesthouse on a good beach and forget about trying to meet travellers, but I am anti-social.

Get Real.

PHUKET TOWN is the last place, if ya wanna go to beach and enjoy night life.

Read my previous post...... #8

Smelly dead end for travellers.

Ok if ya wanna travel MILES everytime ya go out.

Stuff that.

Edited by Zpete

Get Real.

Stuff that.

Perhaps you should read MY post more carefully. What don't you understand about this sentence?

Phuket town is probably your best bet if you genuinely want to meet backpackers.

Many crusty traveller types avoid Patong like the plague, cos Lonely Planet tells em to, innit?

Get Real.

Stuff that.

Perhaps you should read MY post more carefully. What don't you understand about this sentence?

Phuket town is probably your best bet if you genuinely want to meet backpackers.

Many crusty traveller types avoid Patong like the plague, cos Lonely Planet tells em to, innit?

I read that, disagree.

I avoid Patong, but for a short stay, it is best, lotsa backpackers there.

Just check the links I posted.

Not sure some of these posters have ever been to Phuket town?

Plenty of backpacker places. The On On guesthouse is the most popular, as well as the Sinthawee hotel, that start at around 160 a night. Also the Phuket Backpacker Hostel that someone mentioned earlier.

Phuket town is perfect for backpackers as you get to see a little of what Thailand is all about. Patong, Chalong, Kata etc will all be expensive for the average backpacker. Decent enough nightlife in Phuket Town, if you look around, and a few expat bars to find people who know the lay of the land.

Horses for course though. Some people love the bar scene in Patong, expensive as it might be. Other people prefer more of a Thai experience in Phuket Town.

Get Real.

Stuff that.

I read that, disagree.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use hostel booking sites for Thailand - I did and ended up paying waaay over the odds. (Same in Singapore and KL. Might not be so bad if you're looking for an el cheapo bed in a dorm (which I have no experience of), but definitely not the way to go if you want a private room as they charge for 2 people even if you're a single traveller ie double the listed price. This doesn't always mean you pay more, but it does quite a few times.) The hostel owner also didn't understand the concept of paying a 10% deposit, meaning 90% to pay on check in - he insisted on the full price, despite me having to use a calculator, draw him diagrams etc. The 10% deposit is also paid in USD, which means it's actually more than it sounds. It was also my first introduction to Thailand's "I do special price for you", which roughly translates to "I'll rip you off and no mistake".

I would advise people to just pitch up and search the numerous guesthouses on soi banzaan for a 4-500 baht room, then have a scout around for a cheaper room if need be. There were places this time last year advertising for 250/night, with fridge, cable, bathroom etc. It's going to depend on how busy the place is this year, obviously.

Get Real.

Stuff that.

I read that, disagree.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use hostel booking sites for Thailand - I did and ended up paying waaay over the odds. (Same in Singapore and KL. Might not be so bad if you're looking for an el cheapo bed in a dorm (which I have no experience of), but definitely not the way to go if you want a private room as they charge for 2 people even if you're a single traveller ie double the listed price. This doesn't always mean you pay more, but it does quite a few times.) The hostel owner also didn't understand the concept of paying a 10% deposit, meaning 90% to pay on check in - he insisted on the full price, despite me having to use a calculator, draw him diagrams etc. The 10% deposit is also paid in USD, which means it's actually more than it sounds. It was also my first introduction to Thailand's "I do special price for you", which roughly translates to "I'll rip you off and no mistake".

I would advise people to just pitch up and search the numerous guesthouses on soi banzaan for a 4-500 baht room, then have a scout around for a cheaper room if need be. There were places this time last year advertising for 250/night, with fridge, cable, bathroom etc. It's going to depend on how busy the place is this year, obviously.

NOT SO<

I guess, going by your post you have possibly had a bad experience.

In nigh on 5 years backpacking in Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore, I have successfully used the sites posted in my previous posting.

NEVA once, have I had a mixup, or even has it been attempted, my being ripping off.

These sites are the bread and butter for hostels and such.

Misunderstandings may happen, but that happens everywhere,.

Just read the reviews on the sites.

Some people expect 5 star accommodations for pittance.

Be realistic.

The reviews on the sites are heavily censored, for obvious reasons. Those sites are businesses and are NOT free - guess who pays, huh?

No one is expecting 5 star accommodation, but you are likely to get a decent guesthouse in Patong for just a little more money than you'd pay for a hostel through turning up and asking/negotiating (low season only, of course). I know that to my cost - never spend a week in the Crown Hostel on soi sansabai for 500 a night when you can wonder up the road and round the corner and get a nice comfortable, clean and quiet room in a guesthouse for the same money. Try having the "tooonnnniiiiiggghhhhhhhtttttt" Bnagla boxing refrain to cope with for a week.

For people that like the hostel-type atmosphere, then fine. Completely barking in my view, but up to them. Those of us that prefer a little comfort for little cost should give them a miss. That said, a cursory glance at the sites seem to list budget hotels and guesthouses in patong and NOT hostels! The Mini House is an ok bet - brand new comfortable twin rooms, not too bad location.

The reviews on the sites are heavily censored, for obvious reasons. Those sites are businesses and are NOT free - guess who pays, huh?

No one is expecting 5 star accommodation, but you are likely to get a decent guesthouse in Patong for just a little more money than you'd pay for a hostel through turning up and asking/negotiating (low season only, of course). I know that to my cost - never spend a week in the Crown Hostel on soi sansabai for 500 a night when you can wonder up the road and round the corner and get a nice comfortable, clean and quiet room in a guesthouse for the same money. Try having the "tooonnnniiiiiggghhhhhhhtttttt" Bnagla boxing refrain to cope with for a week.

For people that like the hostel-type atmosphere, then fine. Completely barking in my view, but up to them. Those of us that prefer a little comfort for little cost should give them a miss. That said, a cursory glance at the sites seem to list budget hotels and guesthouses in patong and NOT hostels! The Mini House is an ok bet - brand new comfortable twin rooms, not too bad location.

Hostel World charges a booking fee.

Most don't.

Hostel Bookers, no charge.

I use the latter.

My reason for staying in Chalong is to be away from touristy rat race.

(Apologies to Ping.....lol)