Police Checkpoints

My friend got pulled over today at a checkpoint next to the 7-11 coming from the pier heading north where the road intersects with the ring road. They were pulling over tons of people for apparently anything and everything. My friend's tax sticker was out of date or something. Fines were ranging from 300-500 baht.

Sounds like your friend was caught breaking the law. Reasonable fine.

This is what a checkpoint should do.

Don't see why you pin a thread with the express intention of helping people break/avoid the law.

If it isn't illegal, it is certainly immoral.

Sounds like your friend was caught breaking the law. Reasonable fine.

This is what a checkpoint should do.

Don't see why you pin a thread with the express intention of helping people break/avoid the law.

If it isn't illegal, it is certainly immoral.

By pinning this thread people are made aware of checkpoints, therefore are less likely to break the law!

The new radar checks they are having for speeding motorists in Bangkok come with advanced warning 'speed checks ahead' signs to warn motorists. Why would this thread be illegal?

There's nothing immoral about people warning others about checkpoints where the police fabricate a reason to extort money from you if you haven't done anything wrong.

they keep doing them on the hills between chaweng and lamui. beware. make sure u have money on you. it is a long walk to an atm machine from that check point. today they were doing it in the rain. i had to laugh at the coppers getting soaked.

som no nar ha ha :o

people have the right to know where the check points are like speed cameras in england. nothing illegal about setting up a check point nothing illegal about tell people where check points are. so if u don't want to know where they are then don;t read this post.

or wear a helmet full time or u will be doing some time cewing up waiting to pay your fine because u went through a check point that u wish u knew was there. unless u like paying fines then it is alright. or u always wear a helmet. lets face it noone does.

people have the right to know where the check points are like speed cameras in england. nothing illegal about setting up a check point nothing illegal about tell people where check points are. so if u don't want to know where they are then don;t read this post.

or wear a helmet full time or u will be doing some time cewing up waiting to pay your fine because u went through a check point that u wish u knew was there. unless u like paying fines then it is alright. or u always wear a helmet. lets face it noone does.

Dont know about Thailand. For sure it is highly illegal in Sweden to tell anybody about a police check point. We have a "trick" with blinking lights at the same time as you hold up the "victory-fingers" in the window. That means "police check-point coming up". If a police see you doing this you are in deep trouble!

Im surpriced in Thailand its so leagal that you can actually have a pinned thread on a big internet site telling you where the police have their check-points!!! Amazing Thailand! Everything is leagal around here! How can i ever brake the law??? !!!! :o:D

Have to love it!

Dont know about Thailand. For sure it is highly illegal in Sweden to tell anybody about a police check point. We have a "trick" with blinking lights at the same time as you hold up the "victory-fingers" in the window. That means "police check-point coming up". If a police see you doing this you are in deep trouble!

Im surpriced in Thailand its so leagal that you can actually have a pinned thread on a big internet site telling you where the police have their check-points!!! Amazing Thailand! Everything is leagal around here! How can i ever brake the law??? !!!! :o:D

Have to love it!

every country is different. example. england it is very easy to brake the law because everything is illegal. i like thailand becuase my parents said the laws are like when they were growing up. much more laid back!

I don't think it's illegal in Sweden even though you should know better than I do. If it is illegal, what is the penalty? You can't fine/imprison someone for checking their headlights. In the Baltic states across from Sweden they blink lights as well as have police checkpoints announced on the radio.

That blinking trick is used in the States and while it's true cops don't like it and may stop you to ruin you're day there's no law against it that I know of. In some states it IS illegal to have a radar detector. I hear in Virginia if the police catch you with one they make you back your car over it. :D

As for posting on the Internet, there is a website where people can post the location of speedtraps - http://www.copspy.com/index.php

In the end, what's more important, to deter people from breaking the law or catch them breaking the law? Well, we know which one brings in more revenue for the gov't. :o

I don't think it's illegal in Sweden even though you should know better than I do. If it is illegal, what is the penalty? You can't fine/imprison someone for checking their headlights. In the Baltic states across from Sweden they blink lights as well as have police checkpoints announced on the radio.

That blinking trick is used in the States and while it's true cops don't like it and may stop you to ruin you're day there's no law against it that I know of. In some states it IS illegal to have a radar detector. I hear in Virginia if the police catch you with one they make you back your car over it. :D

As for posting on the Internet, there is a website where people can post the location of speedtraps - http://www.copspy.com/index.php

In the end, what's more important, to deter people from breaking the law or catch them breaking the law? Well, we know which one brings in more revenue for the gov't. :D

Post make sence. I do know people that got fined for warning others (blinkin-trick) about police speed controls. In sweden that is. But yeah, it is maybe leagal also in Sweden to put it online. Come to think about it i think sometimes the radio announce police check-points. Im not sure but if i remember correct..... :o

Anyway, i most of the time drive leagal anyway so i dont really bother. I pay my tax, insurance, have valid driverslicence and apart from sometimes a beer or two (yeah,yeah, i know its wrong) i dont have any worries about police check-points. :D

Well, since this thread is now not about police checkpoints but about the legality of such a post perhaps you have forgotten the Nation article published recently in which police checkpoints were listed and the police actually said:

The officer says "speed checks ahead" signs will from now on be erected in advance to warn motorists. Vehicles detected with radar will be issued tickets at tollgates ahead. Violators are required to pay fines within seven days. They can seek picture evidence at police stations the day after.

My friend got pulled over today at a checkpoint next to the 7-11 coming from the pier heading north where the road intersects with the ring road. They were pulling over tons of people for apparently anything and everything. My friend's tax sticker was out of date or something. Fines were ranging from 300-500 baht.

get used to it mate,the old bill must skint and have a party comin up :o

they keep doing them on the hills between chaweng and lamui. beware. make sure u have money on you. it is a long walk to an atm machine from that check point. today they were doing it in the rain. i had to laugh at the coppers getting soaked.

som no nar ha ha :D

christ they must need the money for big chief :o