Help!

Hi Guys..

could really do with some advice/help (Ching Mai)

Someone's dumped a very old and very sick and in pain

Labby in our Moo Baan. He's deteriorating a lot this week.

He won't get in the car so I can take him to the vets.

I don't want to manhandle him as he has a lot of swelling lumps in his abdomen/groin

and also now some open sores that appeared overnight.

He drinks a little but eats almost nothing and is going to die

but I'd like to do something to put him out of his obvious misery.

David

DavidOxen called me shortly after this post.

It turns out to be a full-bred labrador of not older then 4 years of age with a huge abcess all over his lower ribcase and belly that had opened already. The dog is a bit skinny, but not terribly. Full with ticks, and he has a very high fever. Further he has some blackening skin and hairloss, which I blame on a bad diet for a long time. ( I have come across this many times already in dogs that are fed on low grade dog food)

At the vet the wound got cleaned and he was checked if he had venereal disease which is luckily not the case. He got shots, frontline and we got the message that this wound needs to be cleaned every day.

After the vet visit I took the dog home with me. He doesn't like the wound cleaning (understandable) and I have my staff who can help me. He is now in quarantine.

Straight from the first time we offered him food he ate with gusto. The first two meals were Science Diet adult. Then I tried a chicken leg, which went in even faster, so now he is on raw food.

However, because he was drinking such an enormous lot and he didn't/doesn't want to lie down, I took him back to the vet today for a full blood, kidney, liver, SNAP and feces test. SNAP test is negative, so at least he doesn't have one string (kind) of E. canis and no heartworm problems. Liver and kidney are normal and no intestinal worms. Tomorrow the results of the red- and white bloodcells and the platelets.

There is a lot of dead tissue in the wound, so tomorrow I'll be back at the vet. I could do it myself, but I rather have the professional help of the vet as well. With a change on gangreen I freak out (I have seen it once and I don't want to see it happen ever again) and thus it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus, there is a change that the skin around the abcess dies off, leaving an open wound that will be the size of the bottom of a bottle.

It is not sure if the dog was dumped. It is also possible the dog got hit by a car or bike and ran off in panic or he went after the females as he isn't neutered (yet).

Tomorrow, if I can find the time, I'll post a picture of Lucky or Big boy or Mr. X. I like Mr. X, David and his wife prefer Big Boy, and as we needed to think of a name in a split second he's registered at the vet as Lucky.

I have contacted Care for Dogs (dog and cat rescue organization) already. Because, once Mr. Big Lucky BoyX is back on his feet we hope to find a new caring home for him as soon as possible.

Nienke

DavidOxen called me shortly after this post.

It turns out to be a full-bred labrador of not older then 4 years of age with a huge abcess all over his lower ribcase and belly that had opened already. The dog is a bit skinny, but not terribly. Full with ticks, and he has a very high fever. Further he has some blackening skin and hairloss, which I blame on a bad diet for a long time. ( I have come across this many times already in dogs that are fed on low grade dog food)

At the vet the wound got cleaned and he was checked if he had venereal disease which is luckily not the case. He got shots, frontline and we got the message that this wound needs to be cleaned every day.

After the vet visit I took the dog home with me. He doesn't like the wound cleaning (understandable) and I have my staff who can help me. He is now in quarantine.

Straight from the first time we offered him food he ate with gusto. The first two meals were Science Diet adult. Then I tried a chicken leg, which went in even faster, so now he is on raw food.

However, because he was drinking such an enormous lot and he didn't/doesn't want to lie down, I took him back to the vet today for a full blood, kidney, liver, SNAP and feces test. SNAP test is negative, so at least he doesn't have one string (kind) of E. canis and no heartworm problems. Liver and kidney are normal and no intestinal worms. Tomorrow the results of the red- and white bloodcells and the platelets.

There is a lot of dead tissue in the wound, so tomorrow I'll be back at the vet. I could do it myself, but I rather have the professional help of the vet as well. With a change on gangreen I freak out (I have seen it once and I don't want to see it happen ever again) and thus it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus, there is a change that the skin around the abcess dies off, leaving an open wound that will be the size of the bottom of a bottle.

It is not sure if the dog was dumped. It is also possible the dog got hit by a car or bike and ran off in panic or he went after the females as he isn't neutered (yet).

Tomorrow, if I can find the time, I'll post a picture of Lucky or Big boy or Mr. X. I like Mr. X, David and his wife prefer Big Boy, and as we needed to think of a name in a split second he's registered at the vet as Lucky.

I have contacted Care for Dogs (dog and cat rescue organization) already. Because, once Mr. Big Lucky BoyX is back on his feet we hope to find a new caring home for him as soon as possible.

Nienke

Spent all day listening to bad news on the tv etc, at last some good news!!!!

I was so happy as i read this, if i didn't already have 5 dogs i'd love to give Lucky his happy ending - fingers crossed he finds someone who will give him a good home.

WELL DONE TO EVERYONE! :o:D:D

(looking forward to seeing his picture.)

Vets in our area do house calls. I'd try that route and ask the vet to put him down. It's really a shame that people dump poor animals like that.

Gary, I am in Pha Khao (not that far from Nong Hin), could you kindly provide me with the contact of the vet that does house calls? Much appreciate. Thank you.

Just an update on Mr. Bigge LuckyBoy:

I got the bloodtest back: red bloodcells and platelets are normal, but the WBC are/were 79,000 while the normal range is 4,000 to 10,000. (this dog is actually, beside this huge wound, pretty healthy)

The abcess itself covered and area of 15 by 4 - 5 cm with still another huge area that was severely inflamed. The hole in the skin is 2 1/2 cm diameter. Yesterday a piece of dead tissue of about 7 -8 cm long and 1 1/2 cm diameter came out of the wound.

Everyday the vet cleans the whole area where the abcess was, first with hydrogen peroxide and iodine, then he goes in with a cotton path on a long stick to clean it all under the skin. Once this is done he puts a long piece of cotton path in it and some antibiotic cream. Although, today he said there was no dead tissue in the wound anymore and he put some antibiotic powder in it as the cream would keep the wound to wet for it to heal well.

This whole treatment must hurt the hel_l out of this dog, and still he hardly gives a sound, sometimes struggles a bit. Wow, this dog is REALLY tough!

It doesn't look that more skin is dying off, on the contrary the skin looks better with the day. Also he has much less hairloss, the blackened skin is slowly getting its normal color and hair is growing back on his paws.

His appetite is great. he gets three meals a day just to fatten him up. Due to the pills he still drinks and pees alot.

Unfortunately, he still has problems with lying down. I strongly suspect this dog had an accident, ran and got lost. (David and his wife are trying to find the owner by putting up posters in the neighborhood and at the nearby vets and petshops)

If this dog would have walked around with that wound a little longer he most probably wouldn't have made it.

This dog REALLY has been lucky, a Bigge LuckyBoy, thanks to David and his wife who are keeping in contact about Lucky's progress and also cover all the medical costs! :D

Nienke

P.s. wanted to make pic's, but those bl**** batteries get empty in only one day. :o They are charging now.

Mr. Bigge LuckyBoy :

post-27646-1213254377_thumb.jpg

On the vet's table:

The inflamation covered the whole area that has been shaved, including his abdomen and the skin of his testicles.

post-27646-1213252650_thumb.jpg

The open wound which looks so much better than a few days ago, already.

post-27646-1213252721_thumb.jpg

Taking the gauze out.

post-27646-1213252769_thumb.jpg

Squeezing the liquid out.

post-27646-1213252843_thumb.jpg

Waiting for the hydrogen peroxide and iodine clean-up. Mr. didn't want listen to my explanation that it wouldn't be a good idea to lick the wound. And as soon as he would do that, he must wear an E-collar. Well ...

He is doing quite fine with it, though. 3 seconds struggle and he gave in. Not that he enjoys it. :D

post-27646-1213252465_thumb.jpg

Cleaning the wound inside.

post-27646-1213253165_thumb.jpg

All the way in.

post-27646-1213252986_thumb.jpg

Finishing clean-up touch and last check of dead tissue before the antibiotic powder was put in and on the wound, followed by a gauze and plaster to close it.

post-27646-1213252582_thumb.jpg

This morning there was even a sign of play. The choice of toy was a bit disgusting: his blanket full with poop that was lying outside waiting to be cleaned. :o

Care for Dogs (CM dog and cat rescue organization) is already looking for a new owner for him. However, before he goes, I really would like to try to find his former owner, as I strongly suspect he is victim of a road accident. So, maybe there is someone out there who is pretty distressed with the loss of his/her/their dog.

Nienke

Thanks guys for the compliment. :D

However, may I ask a moment of your thoughts for all those people working for the rescue organisations who encounter these problems, and often way much worse, on a daily basis. And not to forget all the individuals who provide(medical) care to their neighborhood dogs and cats, like DavidOxen (the OP) and his wife.

The difference between me and them is that I write it on a public forum. :o

Nienke