Marriage Visa

Ok, I have already asked some of these questions before, but only as of now I have all the details at hand, and like to get information on how to best proceed.

I am Austrain, 48 Years old, and staying in Thailand since July last Year.

I have been granted a 2 entries Business Visa (from the Thai Embassy in Vienna) of which I am at the second leg now.

Permission to stay until January 29th.

Now, originally I applied for a 1 Year Multi B Visa, but this was not granted, only the 2 entries.

My plan was to find a suitable business and also make the decision of wether to marry the Thai lady I met in Thailand some 2 Years ago.

As of now, I have not found the business I feel I would be happy with, but the relationship with the lady has stabilized in such a great way that I am very happy to marry her.

For the Moment, I live on some money I made back home, as well as Interest, and some rental income from abroad.

I want to research further on the business ideas, but guestt that it will take me at least another half Year or so, until I can start "my" company.

The lady and I agreed to get married on February 4th in Udon Thani. (Right now we live in Pattaya, and it looks as this will stay our place of residence in Thailand in the next future.)

To marry earlier would be very very inconvenient, to her, her family, as well as some of my friends and relatives back home, who want to join the party.

Oh, forgot to mention, I made contract and started paying for a new Condo in Pattaya, which is at the moment in the state of being built, and will be finished this summer. Total cost for the Condo as of contract: Bt. 3 200 000.

About a week after the marriage me and the lady would like to spend 2 weeks going on honeymoon, we look into Bali. (I have n´been there twice, and loved it, and I believe it is the right spot for us for a honeymoon. I will also meet with some other friends there .....)

Now, how shall I do it?

Plan No. 1.:

Go to Pattaya Immigration. Get a 30 Day extension on current Visa, based on my explanation of the Situation. Go to Udon and get married. Go back to Pattaya and apply for change of Visa based on marriage. Get an extension. Get a reentry permit. Go to Pattaya Immigartion again and hopefully get the one Year Visa based on 400 000 Bt in Bank (No problem.)

Plan No. 2:

Go to Pattaya Immigration and get a 2 week extension. Get married in Udon. Stay there two more days, go to Vientiane Embassy with marriage Papers and get a 90 Day O Visa based on marriage. Get a reentry permit. Go to Pattaya Immigration before the expiry and apply for 1 Year.

Plan No. 3:

Go to Pattaya Immigration and get a 2 week extension. Get married in Udon. Travel to Bali, and try to get an O Visa based on marriage at the Consulate there.

Get back to Pattaya, and apply for One Year Marriage Visa.

Plan No. 3:

Try to get an Investor Visa on Condo Purchase. Proof of 3 Million Baht in Thai Government Bank. (Can do, but would be more happy to keep the money abroad.)

Go there some month later and apply for a 1 Year based on marriage. Use the Baht in the account for the remaining Condo purchase payment, and for business startup.

The time frame:

January 29 Permission to stay expires

February 4 Marriage

Fabruary 11 - 25 Travel to Bali.

These dates are quite fixed, as of my family's travel possibilities.

What to do in case Pattaya Immigration does not extend m Visa? Hop a border, get married, and then try to get any Visa at Bali? Or get 30 Day stamp again after getting back, and travel to Penang some time in March? (all these as the Embassies in Vientiane as well as Denpasar have no good recommendations here and elsewhere ....)

Any feedback very much appreciated!

Sunny

Why not go down to amphur office in Pattaya and register your marriage? Later in the month apply for extension and go to Udorn for party and honeymoon during the first 30 day wait for marriage extension approval.

Why not go down to amphur office in Pattaya and register your marriage?  Later in the month apply for extension and go to Udorn for party and honeymoon during the first 30 day wait for marriage extension approval.

Yeah, though about that, too. Lady said she not happy. Date Feb 4 was given to her by her monk.

Guess she has some reason based on her traditions and belief. If possible, I like to try to keep the February date. Of course, in case all my plans look very dark, I might talk it over with her again.

Sunny

Why not go down to amphur office in Pattaya and register your marriage?  Later in the month apply for extension and go to Udorn for party and honeymoon during the first 30 day wait for marriage extension approval.

I have read and re-read "Sunny's" post and it (sort of) doesn't sound like he understands the difference between going to an Amphur to register the marriage versus the "party" in Udon. The "party" in Udon is not a "legal ceremony" and having it does not make a couple married in the eyes of the law. He must go to his embassy and get the proper affidavits, and then take the translated papers of the affidavits to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and get them certified and then go to any Amphur and register the marriage. And you can do all of this without having the "party".

So, as "lopburi3" says, he could go take care of the "legal" marriage anytime before the party.

I have read and re-read "Sunny's" post and it (sort of) doesn't sound like he understands the difference between going to an Amphur to register the marriage versus the "party" in Udon. The "party" in Udon is not a "legal ceremony" and having it does not make a couple married in the eyes of the law. He must go to his embassy and get the proper affidavits, and then take the translated papers of the affidavits to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and get them certified and then go to any Amphur and register the marriage. And you can do all of this without having the "party".

So, as "lopburi3" says, he could go take care of the "legal" marriage anytime before the party.

Good advice there from Lop and Ken. ( and a word of usual dry humour from ole Scouse ) :o

Thanks. Done the Embassy, translation and certification thing.

Again, missus not happy to get married before. She knows the difference too, but, as said before.

Well, if all my other plans lead to misery and doom, I might have to talk to her again.

Time frame:

Get married in Amphur any time now, and go to Immigration - when?

Again, we really like to do the trip to Bali from 11 to 25 February. My current permission to stay expires on the 29th of January.

I understand that I will get a temporary permit to stay immediately after applying, (1 month?), does this allow me to leave the Country and return within this frame (with Reentry permit)?

Also, when do I have to show the 400 000 Bt in Bank then?

Sunny

If you do the application here in Bangkok you receive a six week extension so that would probably be your best choice. Tell the lady you want to register in Bang Ruk for good luck and perhaps she will relent? The real marriage for her and family will still be your party in Udorn.

Your taking the family to Bali on the honeymoon? :o

If you have degree and/or employment the 400k should not be immediatly required.

If you do the application here in Bangkok you receive a six week extension so that would probably be your best choice.  Tell the lady you want to register in Bang Ruk for good luck and perhaps she will relent?  The real marriage for her and family will still be your party in Udorn.

Your taking the family to Bali on the honeymoon? :o

If you have degree and/or employment the 400k should not be immediatly required.

Thanks, Lopburi.

No employment now, as stated before (will open my own business later). So, I guess I should show the money in Bank when going to Immigration, right? (It takes about 2 weeks for me to have the money transferred, as I don't have the amount in my foreign cash account ....)

Six weeks extension also in Pattaya? And how about leaving Thailand within this period? Is that ok with reentry permit?

Will meet some members of my family and friends in Bali, so this trip is of quite some importance for me.

Does it make sense to go to Pattaya Immigration now and talk to them about this affair? Or would I just risk getting an officer in bad mood making things more difficult? (I know I could get lucky as well, but ....)

Oh, and a comment on my plans 1-4 would still be appreciated,

Sunny

If you have no money here and not looking for employment it is going to be hard to obtain an extension of stay I suspect. Believe outside Bangkok each extension is 30 days until approval. You can travel during that time with a re-entry permit.

Perhaps you should just make a border run and return with a 30 day stay stamp - get married per your plans - have the honeymoon and obtain a non immigrant O visa before your return and then, 60 days after your return and money is in the bank apply for the one year extension of stay for support of Thai wife. Whatever you do stay away from plan 5 overstay. :o

Thanks again, Lopburi.

I can get the money here (as well as the marriage done (once the missus accepts it ...), as we have all papers ready) within 14 Days, say Jan 20.

So, when I go to Pattaya Immigraation on Jan 28 (1 day before expiry of my current permit of stay) with marriage papers, money in bank and bank letter, I should get 30 Days - to Feb 27. I return from Bali on February 25, and revisit Immigration on 26, in order to get my 1 Year, right? Second thought: No, as the 26th of February is a Saturday, so that would mean coming back to Imm on the 28, overstaying!

Or would that (coming the last day) look suspicious?

I can then still hop the border on Jan 29 in case this fails.

On the honeymoon period: It is planned in such a way that we go together to Bali, and meet my friends / relatives on the last 2 days of our stay. So, this is carefully planned in order to avoid disturbance, and also in order to avoid being rude to some friends by leaving before they arrive in Bali (on the 23rd).

Sunny

Sunny:

Maybe I'm missing something here....but....it looks like money is not a huge object for you, but time is of the essence. So, why don't you just take care of business, ie; get whatever extension you can, get married/have party Feb 4, go on honeymoon Bali, come back to Thailand on "whatever" visa and at some future date when your time schedule permits, go to Penang for a couple of days, apply for your Non O visa (based on marriage) and then apply for your extension based on that Non O. It just seems like you have such a tight time line here that you really are pushing the limits of trying to fit everything in within a day or two.

Doc, I guess it might make sense to contact the Consul by Mail beforehand, as there is only one very negative report available on the Bali consulate?

How do you approach a consul by Email?

Excellency?

Dear Sir?

Sunny

Dear Consul Peraphon is fine, I haven't heard anything good or bad about Bali. It is a fairly new honorary appointment. He's Thai but has good English and is the regional manager for the massive CP Group. Your email only needs to record the facts. Good luck.