Retirement renewal one year

Having just renewed my one year’s permission to stay, I thought others might find this information useful as the procedure has some changes enforced lately.

This advice applies particularly to Phuket but other offices should be similar if not exactly the same.

To ease your passage through Immigration may I suggest the following checklist.

• Passport plus 1 copy each of your details page and all pages which contain Thai entry/exit stamps and visas.

• Bank book with 1 copy of name/account number page and all pages with entries.

• Letter of guarantee showing the minimum 800K Baht in your account. (Or evidence of equivalent monthly income, but I never used this route so I am not sure what exactly this involves, probably original bank statements to show and copies to leave.)

• Health certificate to show that you are fit enough to walk into a Doctor’s office and extract 200 Baht from your wallet.

• 1 recent passport size photo.

You will have to fill in a form, but the questions are in English so not difficult.

The Officer, having satisfied himself that all your documents are in order will then type up your case on a Thai form which you have to sign.

I found it a little difficult to understand the officer’s English pronunciation of the questions he had to ask, and I had to keep asking him to repeat himself. To avoid this, as they do read English very well, I suggest that you write or type the following Q&A on a piece of paper and pass it to him when he starts writing up your case.

Your address:

How much you paid for your condo or house, if applicable:

Your fathers name:

Your mothers name:

Your level of education:

Your occupation before retirement:

If all goes well, you should be in and out in about 20 minutes. Don’t forget to get a re-entry permit if you plan to leave the Kingdom.

As well as the new fees you can expect to donate your change to the office coffee fund, or make sure and give the right money. I was offered an envelope to make a donation to the ‘Tambon’ which I gladly did. If you do, you will be presented with the envelope which you must then clasp between your hands and make a ‘Wai’ before passing it back to the officer.

• 4 months later...

Updated 09/03/04

Have just done my first ’90 day reporting in’ at Phuket city Immigration office.

Strangely, I was asked to produce house papers. I say strangely because I have not heard of others being asked for this. What if you live in a hotel?

Even more strangely I happened to have my condo deed, or chanode, in my car because I was on another errand, so that saved the day.

• 1 year later...
<font color='#000000'>Having just renewed my one year’s permission to stay, I thought others might find this information useful as the procedure has some changes enforced lately.

This advice applies particularly to Phuket but other offices should be similar if not exactly the same.

To ease your passage through Immigration may I suggest the following checklist.

• Passport plus 1 copy each of your details page and all pages which contain Thai entry/exit stamps and visas.

• Bank book with 1 copy of name/account number page and all pages with entries.

• Letter of guarantee showing the minimum 800K Baht in your account. (Or evidence of equivalent monthly income, but I never used this route so I am not sure what exactly this involves, probably original bank statements to show and copies to leave.)

• Health certificate to show that you are fit enough to walk into a Doctor’s office and extract 200 Baht from your wallet.

• 1 recent passport size photo.

You will have to fill in a form, but the questions are in English so not difficult.

The Officer, having satisfied himself that all your documents are in order will then type up your case on a Thai form which you have to sign.

I found it a little difficult to understand the officer’s English pronunciation of the questions he had to ask, and I had to keep asking him to repeat himself. To avoid this, as they do read English very well, I suggest that you write or type the following Q&A on a piece of paper and pass it to him when he starts writing up your case.

Your address:

How much you paid for your condo or house, if applicable:

Your fathers name:

Your mothers name:

Your level of education:

Your occupation before retirement:

If all goes well, you should be in and out in about 20 minutes. Don’t forget to get a re-entry permit if you plan to leave the Kingdom.

As well as the new fees you can expect to donate your change to the office coffee fund, or make sure and give the right money. I was offered an envelope to make a donation to the ‘Tambon’ which I gladly did. If you do, you will be presented with the envelope which you must then clasp between your hands and make a ‘Wai’ before passing it back to the officer.</font>

I received my third Retirement extension in Pattaya last week.

The above checklist of documents required was the same, but the only question I was asked was as to whether I owned or rented my house.

The fee was the expected 1,900 Baht.

No request for any 'donation' was made which is just as well as I would have declined the kind offer.

Moreover, no way would I 'Wai' an Immigration Officer, especially one extorting money from me.

Although they would probably like to see more than 30k (and might well request the 40k that is the monthly requirement) the fact you have a bank account seems to be the main concern. Nobody has reported being turned back (yet) with the required pension and the bank account/letter. But tomorrow may not be the same as today or yesterday so I would go lite on expense the next two months myself (but you know I am conservative). I don't believe you will have any problem.

Has anyone out there recently renewed a "Retirement" visa based solely on income? Mine is coming up for renewal in a couple of months. I will have adequate income, but not much (30K) in the bank.

I want to be sure this is going to work....

Just renewed my retirement visa in Bangkok.Third time, they asked how much I make a month and I told them.Didn't have to prove it although 3 yrs. ago had to have a letter from the embassy.I did have a U.S bank statement and showed :o them,they asked if they could keep it so I gave it to them.They seemed more interested in my 25 Baht gold chain.