Cheapest Place To Buy A Notebook

Hikage

Hello,

Out of Thailand, Australia or Japan, where do you think would be the cheapest place to purchase a notebook computer. I have the choice to buy from any of these countries and want to get the best deal possible. Japan is especially hard to tell since I can't read Japanese.

Thanks

Japan is probably cheaper (at Akihabara anyway) - but are you certain you want a Japanese manual. And you'll have to know what you're looking at as signs are usually in Japanese mainly.

Singapore might be a better option.

If memory serves me, sometime ago Hong Kong was mentioned by several members as having some of the lowest prices on laptops. Depending on your country of residence, you should check if it is possible to avoid/recover local import duties & vat taxes if the item is exported.

Another major consideration should be the warrenty. Make sure your purchase carries the original manufacturers full international warrenty.

cheers :o

Japan is probably cheaper (at Akihabara anyway) - but are you certain you want a Japanese manual. And you'll have to know what you're looking at as signs are usually in Japanese mainly.

Right.

Laptop price in Japan is cheaper than Thailand. Last year I bought Apple PowerBook G4 in Japan for B63,000 (I could get 5% off from that price if I bought it cash) when the same model was sold for B81,000 after discount as special promotional price during COMMART fair at Queen Sirikit Convention Center. However, price difference in Windows models between Japan and Thailand aren't as big as Apple notebooks, I recognized. But as bkk_mike said, if you buy it in Japan, you'll get a notebook with Japanese OS and Japanese JIS keyboard (unless you order it BTO from manufacturer website), which isn't that much of a problem if you are using PowerBook/iBook with OSX, but perhaps not with Windows. You might find an English OS/ASCII keyboard model at duty-free shops in Akihabara, but duty free shops in Japan usually don't give much discount other than 5% sales tax. On-line shops with credit card transactions are usually cheaper than Akihbara price but I don't think you can order it unless you read Japanese. :o

Edited by Nordlys

Right.

Laptop price in Japan is cheaper than Thailand. Last year I bought Apple PowerBook G4 in Japan for B63,000 (I could get 5% off from that price if I bought it cash) when the same model was sold for B81,000 after discount as special promotional price during COMMART fair at Queen Sirikit Convention Center. However, price difference in Windows models between Japan and Thailand aren't as big as Apple notebooks, I recognized. But as bkk_mike said, if you buy it in Japan, you'll get a notebook with Japanese OS and Japanese JIS keyboard (unless you order it BTO from manufacturer website), which isn't that much of a problem if you are using PowerBook/iBook with OSX, but perhaps not with Windows. You might find an English OS/ASCII keyboard model at duty-free shops in Akihabara, but duty free shops in Japan usually don't give much discount other than 5% sales tax. On-line shops with credit card transactions are usually cheaper than Akihbara price but I don't think you can order it unless you read Japanese. :o

Ah, ic. I guess the japanese manual is not a problem, notebooks are pretty self explanatory right? I've never owned one but am an experienced PC desktop user. (maybe an english version online?) and I'm sure my english XP pro disc will replace the preinstalled japanese version nicely. What does a JIS keyboard look like? Is is just like a eng/thai keyboard? i.e., roman letters in large type font with japanese characters along side in smaller type? If so this is ok, I can live with that... or will there be keys marked only with japanese characters with no indication of the key's function in roman? Will be buying a PC not Mac.

Also, I guess you have an unbelievable choice at Akihabara? Is this the panthip equivalent in japan? Must be awesome being japan and all. I reckon Thailand and Australia will have a more limited range to select from.

Thanks

Ah, ic. I guess the japanese manual is not a problem, notebooks are pretty self explanatory right? I've never owned one but am an experienced PC desktop user. (maybe an english version online?) and I'm sure my english XP pro disc will replace the preinstalled japanese version nicely. What does a JIS keyboard look like? Is is just like a eng/thai keyboard? i.e., roman letters in large type font with japanese characters along side in smaller type? If so this is ok, I can live with that... or will there be keys marked only with japanese characters with no indication of the key's function in roman? Will be buying a PC not Mac.

Also, I guess you have an unbelievable choice at Akihabara? Is this the panthip equivalent in japan? Must be awesome being japan and all. I reckon Thailand and Australia will have a more limited range to select from.

Yes, manual is not a problem.

You wouldn't need it unless you're installing a RAM or replacing HDD yourself.

As to JIS keyboard, alphabet key positions are same as the ASCII keyboard you're using. Just roman letters in large font with japanese characters along side like you said. But key position of some signs/symbols such as :, ;, @, ' , ", (), etc are different. You would probably find the key position of apostrophe " ' " on JIS keyboard most bothering. Also the space bar is shorter than ASCII keyboard because there are more keys squeezed into JIS keyboard than ASCII keyboards.

As to the OS language, yes you can replace the pre-installed Japanese OS with whatever the version of Windows you have, that is, if you buy a rather simple laptop. Just last month I have sold my Sony VAIO I bought in Japan (that has never been sold in Thai market) to my Thai sister-in-law here. And this VAIO comes with built-in scroll dial, memory stick reader, etc etc. Problem is, if you replace the pre-installed OS with packaged Windows, those functions that are unique to this model no longer works! Fortunately, I know a shop in Pantip that sells 2nd hand Japanese domestic market model laptops and they could help us install Einglish WinXP + all the drivers they found from Sony websites (which aren't downloadable anymore) and installed them on my VAIO for B1,000.

I don't think you can compare Akihabara with Pantip. Pantip is one building. Akihabara is a town that stretches out to 5 - 6 blocks with so many small shops and road side stalls to department store-like shops crammed into one town. And often some of the most interesting and cheapest stores are not on the main street but in narrow alleys, it will take you 2 - 3 days if you want to see them throughly and it's quite tiring walking there just half a day. Actually there's more than IT prodcuts but all kind of Japanese electronics there and it's a good place for sight seeing than shopping in my opinion. If I know what to buy and at what price I should buy, I'll simply order it on internet (I'm going to Akihabara next week to buy Panasonic oxygen concentrator though).

And yes, you have unbelievable choice in Japan than in Thailand (yes you can buy Dell and Gateway in Japan that are not available in Thailand), but I don't think there's any non-Japanese brand/model laptops you can find in Japan that you can't find in Singapore/HK, while Chinese/Taiwanese brands like Benq, Acer and Apus can't be found in Japan. But naturally you certainly have much wider range/line-ups of Japanese brands to choose from, eg Sony has wider range of VAIO laptops in Japan than in Thailand, you can also buy Hitachi, Panasonic, VIctor (JVC), SHARP, SOTEC laptops that aren't available in Thailand, also much much wider range of line-ups from NEC and Fujitsu than what's available in Thailand.

Frankly, I don't see a point of sticking to Japanese makes except perhaps for design (some Sony VAIO in Japan comes in very nice and sleek design) or for some unique-featured model such as water, dust and shock-proof Panasonic 'Toughbook'. And if I have to buy a Japanese brand in Japan but for use overseas, I'd only choose Fujitsu as it's the only Japanese brand with 3 years worldwide warranty. With all the reasons mentioned above, why buy a notebook that can't be serviced in Thailand (Sony Thailand couldn't service my VAIO I bought in Japan)?

So having said all above, my best advice is - buy it in Thailand. :o

Edited by Nordlys

Hong Kong is cheapest. There is no VAT on stuff there.

I wouldn't buy from Thailand given the bad service you will get if/when it goes wrong.

The problem with Japanese stuff is that you will need to replace Windows with an English version. Then find all the appropriate drivers (since the discs supplied may only have japanese drivers). And you can't guarantee to find english versions of everything.

Other problem you might have with a laptop bought in Japan is the the Bios setup is locked in Japanese. Normally no problem unless you would want to change somehardware stuff.

The keyboard lay out is easily solved with the local available Thai keyboard stickers.

And yes, drivers might be a problem as some of these laptops are only available in Japan, and consequently the drivers are only available on-line on completeley Japanese language websites...

If I reside in Thailand I would buy my laptop over there. You know the shop, you can get service, and as noted before, on the windows versions the price difference is not worth the trouble!

Thought I would throw in my experience. I had the decision whether to buy in the USA or Thailand. I had an exact Acer notebook in mind. Well in Thailand after checking numerous shops and finding the best super special promotion, considering vat refund, and haggling it was still almost $200 higher in Thailand than the US. I bought in Thailand anyway for 2 reasons: (1) they offer a 3 year warranty inside Thailand versus just one year and (2) the keyboard I really liked having the Thai labeled keys. I was impressed how easy it was getting a cash refund for VAT at the airport. Operating sytem wise, the first thing I do when I get a system is format the hard drive to get rid of all the preloaded junk. For device drivers, early on I made the mistake of getting them from the Acer Thailand web site only to find those drivers are old/incomplete and now know to get drivers from the Acer USA site. Nothing in the laptop besides the keys are specialized for Thailand; the hardware is otherwise identical nearest I can tell. I've been pretty happy with the decision even though I paid a little more the Thai keyboard and 3 year warranty seem worth it. I did have to do a lot of legwork to get a livable price though.

Reason the laptops are more expensive is tax on the battery!

Thailand has a special battery tax to protect their car/truck battery factories, but funny enough they apply it to all batteries :o

Reason the laptops are more expensive is tax on the battery!

Thailand has a special battery tax to protect their car/truck battery factories, but funny enough they apply it to all batteries  :o

After months of searching,(Singers,Thailand & even some places in UK) I finally found a second hand battery for my Dell in a shop on the top floor of Panthip Plaza. I paid 6,000 baht for one with warranty. There were plenty on E-Bay, going fairly cheap , but all in UK & something like that you really need to see first.

But for a lap-top complete, I would say you can't beat Singapore.

Edited by lampard10

I'd just like to thank Nordlys et al for the advice. Some final points.

Re singapore, I can only say the prices at changi airport are ridiculously high. whether or not this is reflective of singapore prices outside the airport, I cannot say.

HK would be the best place, but that's not in my current itinerary unfortunately.

The japanese driver situation is gonna be the killer... maybe. I mean, drivers are generally language neutral and should work with eng/jap versions of windows. When you say "japanese drivers" I can only assume you are saying the file names etc are in japanese script therefore making installation difficult. If you know someone who can read japanese, I guess they can translate for you. Or am I missing something else here?

Nordlys, can you give me the urls of the sites where you buy online in japan? I understand the sites are in japanese, but I should be able to get some idea on how much I can save and therefore whether it's worth it or not!

Thanks

The japanese driver situation is gonna be the killer... maybe. I mean, drivers are generally language neutral and should work with eng/jap versions of windows. When you say "japanese drivers" I can only assume you are saying the file names etc are in japanese script therefore making installation difficult. If you know someone who can read japanese, I guess they can translate for you. Or am I missing something else here?

Nordlys, can you give me the urls of the sites where you buy online in japan? I understand the sites are in japanese, but I should be able to get some idea on how much I can save and therefore whether it's worth it or not!

Thanks

I think you're right about the driver issue. In most cases it's just a matter of finding where to download it from. And if the Japanese model you're buying is available outside Japan, you'll probably find a download site in English as well. However, this little SONY VAIO I had has this little scroll dial (or scroll wheel) and when you turn/scroll it, a small window (not exactly a window) pops up and the menu in that was all Japanese (and each menu is different depending on what window you have open/what software you're using).

http://www.kakaku.com/sku/price/winn.htm

Here is one famous site that lists most of the WindowsPC (if not all, but only notebooks, not including Mac) price ranking in Japan. You will see the make and model name to the left, and price ranking of the day with the shop name to the right of the price (Jap Yen of course). You will only see the ranking of up to 5 in this page, the figure at far left is the cheapest price of the day (you can see ranking of up to 20 or 30 if you click the model name). I believe the price does include 5% Japanese sales tax (equivalent to Thai VAT) but not the shipping. If the shop is in Tokyo and that's where you're visiting, you can go pick it up at the shop but then the round trip train fare can cost just as much as shipping (shipping mostly not more than B400). Not all the shops do accept payment by credit card. And I don't believe you want to pay over B1,000 bank fee to wire the payment from Thailand. In that case, you can always choose the option of paying everyting collect (cost of goods + shipping + sales tax) to the courier service upon delivery (yes you can trust them in Japan and if they run away with your notebook payment it's not your fault).

Note, those prices (and price ranking) on this site changes everyday (if not every hours). When I bought my Mac as mentioned in earlier post, it was the last of the stock from discontinuing model. I've been looking at this site (for Mac) since before I left for Japan and within a matter of a week or so the price went down by almost B5,000. I was lucky to have visited Japan at the right time, if I were flying in 2 - 3 days later it must have all been sold out.