Generator(advice Needed)

dutch

I am a dummy in triplo when it comes to technical issues :D

The water supply in my house is coming from outside,filtered and held into 2 stainless storage tanks.

Every time there is a need for water ( shower,toilet,kitchen,solar,) a pump,Mitsubishi WP 205.M2 will put pressure and transport the water.

Sometimes the electricity fails. Of course always at the moment you want to take a shower or something like that.I want to buy a generator for these emergency situations.

I want to use the pump- a fan- and may be the tv.Just for the time the electricity is off.

What type?

I found in homepro new offers.

They showed Sakari generators

1 type 2kva 4 HP at 23000 THB and the other 8kva 13HP at 48000 THB.

There are many models in between.

What type do I need for my above mentioned devices to be used?

thank you

Sorry if the language is a little bit non-technical :o

Hi Dutch.

OK, if you REALLY only want the pump, fan and telly the baby genset will probably be just fine :D

To be sure check the rating plates of all the things you want to run, add up the ratings multiply by 1.5 and get the next bigger genset. Don't forget to include some lights and the fridge / freezer :o

Most appliances have ratings in either Watts (for our purposes the same as VA) or seperate Volt and Amp figures, multiply Volts x Amps to get VA.

kVA are just VA/1000 ie 1kVA = 1000 VA.

You will need to get a change-over switch installed by your local electrician so that you don't try to power the whole neigbourhood or fry the genset when the mains returns.

You may want to look at diesel (as opposed to gasoline) gensets, they tend to be only available in the higher ratings but burn cheaper fuel and will also run on just about any liquid oil (palm oil, filtered dregs from the chip fryer etc). Depends how often the power goes off.

Edited by Crossy

Thanks Crossy,

That simple explanation of kva and va and so on is just good enough for me.

I do have 4 emergency light that last for 9 hours on their batteries and they switch on automatically.

I will not have a change over switch.

If trouble starts I simply get the generator started and put the plug in.

It is not too often that there is electricity problem however last time it took 31/2 hours ( e new record) and just at bed time. :o

Dutch.

Your WP 205 Mitsubishi water pump is rated at 200W.

T.V, 145 W for a 27" , 180 W for a 29".

Table fan 60 W, Pedestal fan 100 W.

So without getting technical a 2,000 va

genset will do just fine for any combination of the above,

and with a fair bit of spare capacity to boot. :o

Naka.

Hi Dutch! Nice to hear from you!

I remember my friend's generator running out of fuel on a fishing trip. It began stalling, making the current fluctuate. Lights were dimming up and down. Stereo got fried.

Is it really safe to run electronics such as TV and PC on a generator???

hi dutch, its critical to have a change-over switch if you plug the generator into a socket in your house, when there is a power cut,otherwize the generated current, will flow through the wiring system of your house, and also back down the power lines too!

which will "back feed " to everyone elses houses !

so if you MUST do it without a ch/over switch, MAKE SURE you turn off the main switch on your fuse box (consumer unit)before you connect your genny to a socket

and make sure that you disconnect your generator before you turn the consumer unit back on when the power cut finishes,or the generator will be history :o

btw a 1kva generator will only give out 800 watts of power, because the cos is usually 0.8----(it may even state "cos,0.8 on the specification plate ,or in the instruction book)so allow for this when you buy your genny (2kva=1,600 watts only --etc(you lose 20% for each 1kva)(bit like a tax!!)

Andy50

You are right about 2KVA= 1,6KW (stated in the brochure)

Ther are 2 sockets on the generator where you put your plugs , so you don't connect with the house electrical system.

I am thinking of a 5 kva= 4 kw

Thanks for the advice