Warning Maxnet

monty

After having had terrible connections most of the time last week, and spending numerous hours on the phone with their customer service, I've had my first straight answer from them.

By luck I had the first representative on the line who spoke decent English, and she very bluntly told me I cannot expect speeds faster then a 56k modem on a package which is cheaper then a decent dial-up package... It might get up to speed sometimes, during hours when hardly anybody uses it.

After I asked her why it worked a charm the first three weeks, she told me they gave every new subscriber full speed, so they would spread the word and more subscribers could sign up. This "promotion campaign" as she calls it ended in the beginning of July.

She told me also, if I wanted the same speeds I had in the first 3 weeks, I should upgrade to the Maxnet 4 sme package (at a whopping 5400 Baht/month+7%vat) because thats how their servers were configured to supply us in the month of june.

The "technical problem" which is supposed to get solved the end of this week simply does not exist.

All is as it should be in Chonburi...

My most profound excuses to those who signed up to Maxnet following my advice on this forum.

I was very much fooled by their extremely succesfull promotional campaign.

I sincerely hope not to much people got seduced by their free modem offer and signed for a full year!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the update and your honesty Monty.

I for one will never blame you for recommending Maxnet, as you were providing good technical info, and the speed of the service was good at the time... you acted with good will and intent, and shared your information freely and helpfully.

You cannot be blamed for being scammed by Maxnet.

Fortunately, I signed up for 1 month only... as I couldn't ontain the 12 month package as I will be moving house and therefore changing telephone number shortly.

To quote Thetyim, thank you Monty for your honesty and integrity... a disappointing outcome but you are certainly not to blame.

Cheers mate. :o

MySpeed Results 

Download  38,432 bps

Upload      46,712 bps

QOS          5%

RTT            64 ms

MaxPause  1843 ms

Re: Speed test results

How did you test?

Is this available on the net somewhere?

If so can you forward address please?

Thank you

Regards

Ivan

:o

After having had terrible connections most of the time last week, and spending numerous hours on the phone with their customer service, I've had my first straight answer from them.

By luck I had the first representative on the line who spoke decent English, and she very bluntly told me I cannot expect speeds faster then a 56k modem on a package which is cheaper then a decent dial-up package... It might get up to speed sometimes, during hours when hardly anybody uses it.

After I asked her why it worked a charm the first three weeks, she told me they gave every new subscriber full speed, so they would spread the word and more subscribers could sign up. This "promotion campaign" as she calls it ended in the beginning of July.

She told me also, if I wanted the same speeds I had in the first 3 weeks, I should upgrade to the Maxnet 4 sme package (at a whopping 5400 Baht/month+7%vat) because thats how their servers were configured to supply us in the month of june.

The "technical problem" which is supposed to get solved the end of this week simply does not exist.

All is as it should be in Chonburi...

My most profound excuses to those who signed up to Maxnet following my advice on this forum.

I was very much fooled by their extremely succesfull promotional campaign.

I sincerely hope not to much people got seduced by their free modem offer and signed for a full year!

This is what I recorded just a few minutes ago.

About the same I get through gprs with my mobile (admittedly on a good day)

post-4701-1121338874_thumb.jpg

Out of interest, members please post you speed and connection type here after using the link provided.

Hopefully it will give some comparisons.

My speeds on an Ipstar 256/128 connection were as follows.

Download 221,304 bps

Upload 73,304 bps

QOS 86%

RTT 3 ms

MaxPause 201 ms

Quality of service 86%

as aposed to monty's QOS of

QOS 5%

By the way, it is extremely overcats with slight drizzle here, which does effect a satelite connection like Ipstar.

There is a similarly named thread in:

"Internet, computers, communication, technology in Thailand"

of interest to MaxNet suckers in other parts of Thailand (like me).

My QOS here in Korat is now 20%.

What now?

Edited by buadhai

Via BT Broadband (UK)

Connected 1.1 Mbps

Results

Download Speed 929 Kbps

Upload Speed 213 Kbps

QOS 97 %

RTT 112 ms

Max Pause 63 ms

SUN OUT, NO CLUND Temp. 28c :D

YES IT IS ENGLAND :o

Once again, Thanks to Monty for advice

Regards

Ivan

:D

Not sure what to do. It was my GF who did the research and decided to switch from ISSP to MaxNet. She is a uni graduate, quite fluent in English and very computer savvy. (She fully understands things like 'ping' and 'DNS' and can use the unix command line.) She also doesn't put up with any nonsense. When she finds out how much the service is degraded, she will definitely do something. (Hey, she's a Thai/Chinese businesswoman.) She's quite adept at complaining when necessary. I suspect there will be many phone calls and many visits to the TT&T office at The Mall. I'll leave it up to her, though. Mr. Buadhai will lay low on this one.

Edit: Mods, can we move this thread to the Internet forum and delete the similarly named one there? For some reason this thread has attracted all the posts....

Edited by buadhai

Not sure what to do. It was my GF who did the research and decided to switch from ISSP to MaxNet. She is a uni graduate, quite fluent in English and very computer savvy. (She fully understands things like 'ping' and 'DNS' and can use the unix command line.) She also doesn't put up with any nonsense. When she finds out how much the service is degraded, she will definitely do something. (Hey, she's a Thai/Chinese businesswoman.) She's quite adept at complaining when necessary. I suspect there will be many phone calls and many visits to the TT&T office at The Mall. I'll leave it up to her, though. Mr. Buadhai will lay low on this one.

Edit: Mods, can we move this thread to the Internet forum and delete the similarly named one there? For some reason this thread has attracted all the posts....

###### Maxnet! So now that we've been scammed...what recourse do we have???

I paid 2 months upfront...can I get my money back??? :o

Monty, did u get a name to that customer service lady?

###### Maxnet! So now that we've been scammed...what recourse do we have???

I paid 2 months upfront...can I get my money back??? :o

Monty, did u get a name to that customer service lady?

Obviously she did not want to give her name.

Anyway, i've been printing out my speed reports from several servers for a couple of days already, then I'll head down to their office and see what they'll have to say...

I'm not living there yet, but, after 32 years of marriage to my Thai wife, I am not at all surprised by this example of what we in the USA would classify as fraud. The old "TIT" is in full effect on this situation. A "promotion" here, and, I imagine, in the UK, would have to be delcared as such, with a clear declaration of the service commitment for the remainder of the contract.

I'm really sorry, guys. I know that the internet is going to be a very important element of my entertainment and communication when I move there next Spring. I'm sure it is to many of you, as well. Frankly, my experience living in Shanghai for 15 months back in 96-98 was better than what some of you are experiencing in LOS. That's hard to understand.

I sincerely hope you get some reasonable resolution to the situation near term.

Would this mean that, in terms of "bang for the buck", the IPSTAR option is actually better than the upgraded Maxnet thing?

I wasn't sure the speed test would work through our firewall here at work, but it did. Pretty amazing!

MySpeed Results

Download 8,071,192 bps

Upload 182,744 bps

QOS 81%

RTT 0 ms

MaxPause 50 ms

I'll be interested in seeing what I get at home on my Earthlink ADSL connection.

George

OK, folks, I got up at 5 AM just to run this test when contention would be at a minimum. This MaxNet 512/256 from Korat:

MySpeed Results

================

Download 414,736 bps

Upload 93,456 bps

QOS 79%

RTT 58 ms

MaxPause 285 ms

Not so bad, but I'll try again later and post here.